Priest calling it a day....

zekeyou

Mar 3, 2004
The Triiiaaannnnggggle
http://www.bravewords.com/news/151810

Sounds like there will be tons of touring before 'finishing'; I really wish their swan song had been much stronger.

Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 at 05:39:43 EST

BW&BK has received the following press release:

After storming the world for nearly 40 years and taking their very special brand of heavy metal to all four corners of the planet, JUDAS PRIEST -one of the most influential heavy metal bands of all time, have announced this will be their final world tour!!

However, the mighty Priest will certainly be going out strong as they rock the planet starting in 2011 on the massive Epitaph tour - hitting all the major cities throughout the world they will be playing the songs that helped make the name Juda Priest synonymous with heavy metal!

With all guns blazing and amps cranked to eleven, the band will be giving all their fans one last chance to witness the ultimate metal experience that is Judas Priest!

Judas Priest will be starting their world tour in Europe - we have just confirmed the following festivals for 2011:

June
9 - Sweden Rock - Solvesborg, Sweden
11 - Sauna Festival - Finland
17 - Copenhell Festival - Copenhagen, Denmark
19 - Hellfest - Nantes, France
22 - Gods of Metal Festival - Milan, Italy
25 - Graspop Festival - Belgium

July
23 - High Voltage Festival - London, UK

August
5 - Wacken Open Air - Wacken, Germany

Stay tuned as we announce more dates - information will be forthcoming soon - so start getting prepared to rock one final time with the incomparable Judas Priest!!

I didn't think "Nostradamus" was that bad of an album. It shows an epic side of Priest that no previous album ever has. It's certainly a better swan song than Black Sabbath's. "Forbidden" sounds like a band's attempt to throw anything out to fulfill their contract. Anyway, the possibility of having one last chance to see Priest is intriguing. I've only seen them twice, and each time was with a different singer. Hopefully, they'll bust out some lost gems for the last round.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

They could have called it a day right after Painkiller. While they haven't embarrassed themselves, ala Queensryche, they certainly haven't added anything of note to their legacy either.

I didn't think "Nostradamus" was that bad of an album. It shows an epic side of Priest that no previous album ever has. It's certainly a better swan song than Black Sabbath's. "Forbidden" sounds like a band's attempt to throw anything out to fulfill their contract. Anyway, the possibility of having one last chance to see Priest is intriguing. I've only seen them twice, and each time was with a different singer. Hopefully, they'll bust out some lost gems for the last round.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Yes, Forbidden was weak. But for me, Sabbath's real swan song was Heaven & Hell-The Devil You Know. And it was a very fine swan song as far as I'm concerned.

Mostradamus was great.
I seriously bet people who slam that album haven't even bothered listening to it straight through.

Angel of Retribution is solid as well.
Their biggest problem with that one was releasing the weakest track off the album as the lead off single, which may have turned off some.

This is sad news indeed.
Priest are still amazing live, IMHO.

You know, I dearly loved Turbo back in the day (still find it to be one of the best hair metal albums around), and Painkiller remains a favorite to this day. I also like most of Defenders and about half of Ram It Down. That's about it for me when it comes to Priest.

Two of their albums were very important to me at one point, and one still is. That's easily the fewest number of cherished songs one of the giants of traditional metal has provided me. Dio, Maiden, and Ozzy have all produced considerably more material that I have enjoyed.

You know, I dearly loved Turbo back in the day (still find it to be one of the best hair metal albums around), and Painkiller remains a favorite to this day. I also like most of Defenders and about half of Ram It Down. That's about it for me when it comes to Priest.

Two of their albums were very important to me at one point, and one still is. That's easily the fewest number of cherished songs one of the giants of traditional metal has provided me. Dio, Maiden, and Ozzy have all produced considerably more material that I have enjoyed.

So....in other words, you're not a Priest fan.

Priest calling it a day....sad news, but it was bound to happen sooner or later. I loved their last couple of cd's, and was hoping for one more studio effort, but I guess it's not going to happen. Amazing metal band that's shown incredible staying power and creativity over 40 years....not too many other bands can make this claim. They'll always remain one of my all-time favorite bands, metal or non-metal. What would metal have been without them?

So....in other words, you're not a Priest fan.

How many albums from a band do you have to like to call yourself a fan of the band? Your statement does not make much sense to me.

If to be a fan you have to like the majority or all of a band's output throughout their career, then I am a fan of very, very few bands represented in my CD collection.

Screaming For Vengeance is my fave but I love them all,so I definitely am looking through "Priest" colored glasses.

Wacken Open Air is sounding mighty fine already... Judas Priest, Ozzy Osbourne, Blind Guardian, Avantasia, Warrant and many more to be announced... might have to make it out there. I'm gonna miss Priest, may have to see them several times on this farewell tour.

Sigh... I've dreaded this for a while, my all time favorite band finally hanging it up. They are getting up there and I can't say I really blame them, go out while the live show is still great! I've been able to see them now 4 times, and they were excellent every time. I will definitely be seeing at least one date of this tour, if not a few more. For the record, I loved Nostradamus and Angel of Retribution. Definitely one of the best moments of my life:

n592155964_1875342_1188.jpg

How many albums from a band do you have to like to call yourself a fan of the band? Your statement does not make much sense to me.

If to be a fan you have to like the majority or all of a band's output throughout their career, then I am a fan of very, very few bands represented in my CD collection.

Generally, I feel that you can be a fan of a couple of a bands cd's, but to be a fan of "the band", it helps to own a majority of the catalog that spans most of their career. This is just my personal opinion....kinda like me saying that I like Metallica's "Ride The Lightning" and very little else.....I'm not a fan of Metallica "the band", but I like that album. Make sense?

Generally, I feel that you can be a fan of a couple of a bands cd's, but to be a fan of "the band", it helps to own a majority of the catalog that spans most of their career. This is just my personal opinion....kinda like me saying that I like Metallica's "Ride The Lightning" and very little else.....I'm not a fan of Metallica "the band", but I like that album. Make sense?

Sure, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

In that case, I really am not a fan of many bands per se. I am more of an album guy.

Not to call out johnfrank, but I do have to agree with Comic Book Dude.

I know we had this discussion at length around the time the setlists for Maiden's most recent tour came out. There are a lot of people who call themselves big Maiden fans, but don't own any album post Seventh Son (Hell ,some not even any post Powerslave). These are the fans who get ticked when the setlist isn't all "classics".

I always say for myself, for classic bands where I appreciate all I have heard, but only own a couple albums by, that I am a "casual" fan. (IE - I consider myself a casual Scorps and RUSH fan, etc).

So, using johnfrank as an example, I would say you can't really call yourself a Priest fan, considering how many essential albums and tunes you claim to not listen to.