Prog Metal Cd?

Neoman

Aug 10, 2008
I am the "Neoman" :lol: but, I am looking to "expand my tastes", so I would like to purchase a Prog Metal cd. What should I pick up?
(preferably one with alot of keys)

If you want something that straddles the line between neo and prog metal check out The Aurora Project "Shadow Border". Lots of keys. If you want to check out an album with great melodies, chops, etc try the latest from Redemption "Snowfall On Judgement Day". Circus Maximus "Isolate" has razor sharp keyboards, amazing vocals and hooks that will give you whiplash. The guitarwork is ridiculous as well.

I'm sure lots of people will chime in with other suggestions.

If you are really adventerous give Opeth a try. Yeah, the singer, Mikael Akerfeldt, growls at times but he is the best growler on the planet. His clean singing is amazing. I was opposed to growling until I heard Opeth. I started with Ghost Reveries and then Still Life. I was a fan boy after that. The conversion opened me up to bands like Death, Edge of Sanity, Cynic and a bag full of similar progressive metal bands. Have fun exploring. :headbang:

Lalu's Orinic Metal is awesome!

Pain of Salvation's The Perfect Element pt. 1 or Remedy Lane are excellent choices as well.

Anything by Dream Theater (I prefer the early stuff although Black Clouds seems like a promising return to form)

As a huge neo prog fan myself I can recommend Circus Maximus, Illusion Suite and Tomorrow's Eve (if you can get past the italian accent that is)... Another one that comes to mind is Wolverine. Brilliant band.

Threshold just came up in my playlist. I personally like the Mac era (especially Dead Reckoning and Subsurface) but many also like the Damian era...

It's hard to put any progressive band into any one category... All depends what you mean when you say metal. If you mean people singing in whats known as "death" or "growling" voices: Opeth is what got me started in that genre as well. Watch out for those jaded metal heads though, they will tell you Opeth is a band their grandma would listen to :err:

Liquid tension - is that the Pain of salvation album you would recommend to anyone who is interested? I started visiting lasercd regularly back in the summer and I have been checking the boards to see what everyone is talking about and they seem quite popular with the other users on here. One product description compared them to Faith No More. I love FNM, but nothing on the POS myspace page hooked me in... Which album would convert me to a hardcore fan? I get the feeling i'm missing out on something good :kickass: BTW I'm a completionist... and Prefer to purchase albums with the most content.

Liquid tension - is that the Pain of salvation album you would recommend to anyone who is interested? I started visiting lasercd regularly back in the summer and I have been checking the boards to see what everyone is talking about and they seem quite popular with the other users on here. One product description compared them to Faith No More. I love FNM, but nothing on the POS myspace page hooked me in... Which album would convert me to a hardcore fan? I get the feeling i'm missing out on something good :kickass: BTW I'm a completionist... and Prefer to purchase albums with the most content.

Entropia is probably the closest to FNM and at $6 get that one and One Hour by the Concrete Lake they are both worth it...

The 1st 5 discs up to 12:5 are their best by far so if their myspace is only promoting the newer stuff I can see why you aren't getting hooked in...

The Perfect Element is one of the top discs of all time...

Yeah I've seen those albums in the clearance section and I'm all ways tempted to buy them. I noticed the japanese versions of entropia has an extra track and the concrete lake has two extra tracks. I'd like to get those versions, but on your recommendation, I will pick up entropia on here...I do believe I have enough albums picked out now for my next order, just waiting on the Reality Dream dvd to show up in stock :headbang:

Neoman,

Have you heard the new Shadow Circus, Whispers and Screams? This one kicks major ass and is a great twist on classic 70's style prog. Great keys. Not a real prog metal release but a hard hitting prog rock release.

Reicieved the new ""Shadow Circus "" on Friday, very impressed, But I like Their Debut better(Welcome to the Freakroom) Somethings missing on new cd IMO...:loco:

Thanks so much for your advice guys! (I will check them out)

Yes, chrisg, I just picked up the new Shadow Circus; I love it! I am going to have to pick up their debut now.

Two Different CDS (IMO) both are real good though, Debut is out of Stock with Kinesis....Good luck........:headbang::kickass:

One of my top prog-metal bands would be Adagio, and they have awesome keys as well. I think all their releases are great but I would say Underworld is their best album. The progressively moved into a heavier direction with every release so you may prefer their first two albums over their latter two.

Beyond Twilight is another great band. Their keyboardist actually writes everything but that doesn't mean he lets himself steal the show. That band is a little more "out there" though so it might be harder to get into. Some people call it "sci-fi prog metal."

The debut album from Leprous has some pretty good keys, if I remember right...

Scar Symmetry's album Holographic Universe has some really wild keyboard playing but they have mixed death/clean vox so you might have a hard time with them if that's not your thing.

Oh, oh! Get Vangough's "Manikin Parade." It's pretty light on the "metal" but it's absolutely fantastic.

Voyager has some good keys but they seem to be getting more mainstream (and, dare I say, "simpler") with their newest release. Really good stuff though.

God, all three ""Voyager"" cds are fanominal.. Took me awole to find Their 2rd release ""Univers""...........:headbang:

^^ LOL

I'm surprised nobody has listed the best prog metal album ever made... Symphony X ~ V!

I highly, highly recommend The Perfect Element as well, since it is in my top 3 albums of all time.

I am another that got into growls because of Opeth. You can't go wrong with Ghost Reveries! Once you let yourself accept the style, you will be hooked for life...

The thing about PoS, btw, is that their first 4 albums were pure gold. 12:5, live acoustic album sends chills down my spine as well. Gildenlow is one of the best singers in the world, as far as I'm concerned. Start with PE, and then the remaining 3 of their first 4. You will NOT be disappointed.

^^ LOL

I'm surprised nobody has listed the best prog metal album ever made... Symphony X ~ V!

I highly, highly recommend The Perfect Element as well, since it is in my top 3 albums of all time.

I am another that got into growls because of Opeth. You can't go wrong with Ghost Reveries! Once you let yourself accept the style, you will be hooked for life...

The thing about PoS, btw, is that their first 4 albums were pure gold. 12:5, live acoustic album sends chills down my spine as well. Gildenlow is one of the best singers in the world, as far as I'm concerned. Start with PE, and then the remaining 3 of their first 4. You will NOT be disappointed.

Ah, how could I forget Symphony X! They need to come out with a new release soon, I guess they're on Nuclear Blast now. V is great as is Paradise Lost, probably my favorite 2 albums by them.

Opeth is one of my all-time favorite bands but they aren't too heavy on the keyboards. They didn't even have a keyboardist until their last two releases. Still Life is likely my favorite album of all time.

I got Pain of Salvation's "One Hour By the Concrete Lake" album based on comparisons to Vangough and really wasn't too crazy about it. I might have to check out Perfect Element though...