Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Hello all,

I was amazed at the effort and thought put into this contest. There were some amazing rosters pieced together along with a few that had me scratching my head. I have absolutely no doubt that several of you will second guess my choices (what else is new eh?). I made my selections based on the following criteria:

1. Marketability: Will it sell tickets? You have to appeal to not only the hardcore facebook/forum fans, but the casual prog/power fan as well that sell those last few hundred tickets.
2. Balance: You cannot stack it with 10 power bands and 2 prog openers. Did you alternate the slots just enough to keep everyone in the room (or at least close).
3. Perception: Was your roster listed in an order that made sense from a popularity status for here in the U.S?
4. History: How well did the bands go over in the past that you picked?
5. Roots: Did you go with the all commercial lineup? Or did you stick to the festival roots with lower bands that deserve slots? Album sales do not automatically indicate draw in some situations.
6. Relevance: Call it the “Onward” affect. Nobody cared about that band when they were active so why should they care now?
7. Savings: Did you save any money at the end? If you did, you got bumped ahead of those that didn’t all other things equal.
8. X-Factor: If you have paid attention over the past decade, there are a handful of bands that I will never work with again. If you named one, you were automatically disqualified.
9. Personal preference: I simply liked the roster. Right or wrong, I’d be lying if I didn’t say that my personal taste dictate a choice sometimes.

We are going to make this as easy as possible in terms of deciding the winner. Simply cast your vote in this thread within the next 48 hrs. We will add up the votes between the forum, facebook, and email and post the winner Friday. Please be respectful and only vote once on the forum or Facebook. If I find two votes, they both get thrown out.

Friday:
Vanden Plas $9
Sonata Arctica $9
Leprous $4
Angel Dust $3
DGM $3
Borealis $1

Saturday:
Blind Guardian $10
Angra $6
Freak Kitchen $5
Andromeda $3
Amaranthe $3
Haken $2

Total Cost: $58

Friday
Sabaton $9
Jon Oliva's Pain $8
Voyager $5
Leprous $4
Adagio $1
Manticora $3

Saturday
Nightwish $10
Redemption $7
Mustache $5
Kingcrow $3
Wuthering Heights $2
Lanfear $2

Total Cost: $59

Friday:
Nightwish $10
Gamma Ray $9
Nightingale $4
Leprous $4
Communic $2
Vangough $1

Saturday:
Blind Guardian $10
Amorphis $9
Threshold $7
Haken $2
Adagio $1
Suspyre $1

Total Cost: $60

Friday
Nightwish $10
Redemption $7
Tyr $7
Seventh Wonder $6
Sinbreed $2
Theorcracy $1

Saturday
Blind Guardian $10
Circus Maximus $6
Mercenary $5
Stormwarrior $3
Secret Sphere $2
Borealis $1

Friday
Blind Guardian $10
Pagan's Mind $7
Circus Maximus $6
Amaranthe $3
Jag Panzer $2
Saint Daemon $2

Saturday
Nightwish $10
Seventh Wonder $6
Delain $6
DC Cooper $4
Secret Sphere $2
Theocracy $1

Friday
Nightwish $10
Royal Hunt $9
Ark $5
Angel Dust $3
Cage $1
Raintime 1

Saturday
Iced Earth $10
Conception $9
Voyager $5
DC Cooper $4
Wuthering Heights $2
Theocracy $1

Friday
Blind Guardian $10
Conception $9
Angra $6
Leprous $4
Zero Hour $2
Adagio $1

Saturday
Helloween $10
Riverside $7
Ark $5
Spiral Architect $4
Theocracy $1
Vangough $1

Friday
Nightwish $10
Vanden Plas $9
Mercenary $5
Diablo Swing Orchestra $4
Pathosray $1
Borealis $1

Saturday
Blind Guardian $10
Sabaton $9
Voyager $5
Andromeda $3
Halcyon Way $1
Suspyre $1

Friday
Sabaton $9
Redemption $7
Circus Maximus $6
Amaranthe $3
Theocracy $1
Vangough $1

Saturday
Nightwish $10
Pagan's Mind $7
Voyager $5
Iron Savior $4
Adagio $1
Borealis $1

Total Cost: $54

Friday
Symphony X $10
Redemption $7
Circus Maximus $6
Jag Panzer $2
Zero Hour $2
Pyramaze $2

Saturday
Blind Guardian $10
Iced Earth $10
Leprous $4
Haken $2
Red Circuit $2
Lanfear $2

Now I wonder who I picked who Glenn will never work with again, thus throwing my selection out (just kidding).

Circus Maximus sure is popular. I am sure someone will run the stats on the bands chosen both in this post and in the original submission, weighing it towards placement in the setlist. That should be fun.

EDIT: so I got bored and eecided to run the numbers on the 10 contenders. I put the more popular looking ones on Saturday - "more popular" based on number of votes. I put bands in the slots their average place earned them - votes were REALLY consistent across the board - everyone seemed to agree on who should be headliners, who should be openers, the split seemed to be between slots 3 and 4.
I thought it interesting that only 1 contender had Helloween, but 5 had theocract at either a 1 or a 2. Other than Nightwish/Blind Guardian (7 total picks) the next two were Theocracy and Leprous at 5.
Friday Saturday

Blind Guardian 7 (6) Nightwish 7 (6)
Sabaton 3 (5.67) Redemption 4 (5)
Voyager 4 (4) Circus Maximus 4 (4.25)
Amaranthe 3 (2.66) Leprous 5 (3.4)
Adagio 4 (1.75) Haken 3 (2.33)
Borealis 4 (1) Theocracy 5 (1.4)

Glenn I'm just curious as to what bands you think are not considered relevent? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, when I read your selection criteria it sparked the question.

Well, all my bands except one are on these rosters. Good to see. I voted for #3 on FB, though it was a tough choice. #'s 1, 5 and 8 also were strong contenders.

When I made my list, I purposley did not include Blind Guardian due to the fact that they regularly tour the States and there for an appearance at PP would not be that special and perhaps not a draw when people can see them in their own area.... same can be said for Nightwish.

When I made my list, I purposley did not include Blind Guardian due to the fact that they regularly tour the States and there for an appearance at PP would not be that special and perhaps not a draw when people can see them in their own area.... same can be said for Nightwish.

And Symphony X and Epica and Kamelot and just about every headline caliber band now. It's a different scene that when we first started this thing a decade ago. The focus is on putting together the strongest roster you can top to bottom given the restraints in place.

#6 DC Cooper and Jorn, HELL YEAH,,,,the only drawback is Iced Earth again *yawn*. There must be a rule invoked that no bullshit special stage for them again. LOL

This:
Friday
Sabaton $9
Jon Oliva's Pain $8
Voyager $5
Leprous $4
Adagio $1
Manticora $3

Saturday
Nightwish $10
Redemption $7
Mustache $5
Kingcrow $3
Wuthering Heights $2
Lanfear $2

Sabaton deserves to headline on a Friday, Wuthering Heights deserves to come back, Manticora deserves a higher slot, and NightWish deserves to close out the show.
I'd buy that for a dollar...

Well, back to the ol' electronic brain. I concentrated on "Exclusives". As much as I worship the ground Tuomas Holopainen walks on, I approached this on the basis of "What is going to get peeps to drop serious $$$ in this economy to come to Atlanta." I figgered Iced Earth to bring in locals, Therion/Evergrey/Threshold and a dose of the Freaks to get those to drop $$$. Oh, well. Where did I go wrong? :lol::lol::cry:

Hands down my pick for winner is #9 !!! Sabaton as headliner would blow the doors off of Center Stage my friends!!!
Solid line up both nights. End with Pagan's and Nightwish...that's what I am talking about!!!