ProgPower USA XII Roster Discussion

ARCTURUS is no risk at all. in fact, like Glenn said they will be bringing out fans for sure. myself being one. La Masquerade Infernale is not only an amazing black metal record, but an even more impressive slab of progressive metal. i was actually betting on Ihsahn for the "WTF" but this is even better! SANCTUARY, LABYRINTH, DREAM EVIL and ARCTURUS are all my "worth the ticket price" choices this year.

Since getting into new bands is fun, I probably would go to ProgPower next year regardless of what bands I knew or didn't know. That said, I was trilled with Dream Evil and Therion getting announced. While Heaven Wept and Arcturus also sound cool from what I've heard on MySpace and Youtube. Looking forward to next year already.

Okay, well if we're starting to just get into predictions now, I'll make one. And unlike predicting bands, I have been pretty good at predicting turnout:

100 tickets short of a sellout.

Okay, well if we're starting to just get into predictions now, I'll make one. And unlike predicting bands, I have been pretty good at predicting turnout:

100 tickets short of a sellout.

Fair enough.

I predict a sell out at least 3-4 months before the show.

When I saw the roster I was thinking that this could be a really fast sell-out.

BTW if you want a special gold badge show *hint hint* ask Garm to give a solo acoustic show.

Glenn's post explained some things about his reasoning and some facts surrounding ticket sales. Good stuff, and great to have a promoter who is willing to discuss that.

Doesn't change my prediction, but at least if I'm wrong I'll know why I was wrong.

Only thing I'd like to address is Glenn's perception of his old fan base going away. We're not. His picks were leaving us behind starting with PPVII. PPVIII was a return to form, and it had a very quick sellout. PPIX was a darker lineup, sold out anyway, but a little slow. PPX, hard to attribute anything in particular to that since it was a perfect storm of bad luck that would have killed an ordinary promoter. And PPXI, a return to form, and once again, despite a bad economy, sellout. If his data is that the old fans didn't come out for PPIX and PPX, there's a reason for that.

It's not so much that I'm narrow minded, I love checking out new bands and new styles. But at the top, I gotta have my old reliables. Yes, all the big headliners have been booked, so book them again. I'll pay to see them. If I can watch Star Wars 40 times, I can see Stratovarius twice.

Not for nothing, but when will the video of the announcement be posted online?

When we have had a chance to recover from sheer exhaustion. :D

No, but seriously, Wayne Joyner and Claus Jensen will work to coordinate this within the next 2 weeks or so, along with the new website launch.

~Jen

This lineup is so awesome. Therion is one of my favorite bands and they were amazing at PPVI so, the fact that they are the final headliner to me is fantastic. And I'm a big big Sanctuary and Nevermore fan so I'd hope that that is a two in one type of deal (a little of both). Dream Evil, Arcturus, and Labyrinth are also all fantastic.

Good stuff, Glenn! I just hope I can afford everything..

But really, there’s nothing like the feeling of seeing a kick ass live performance from a band whose entire catalog you know and love. And for those who travel, the festival is a significant $$ investment. So I personally wouldn't criticize folks for wanting to take a pass in a year where there isn’t one particular band that truly rocks their world.

I know I'll have a good time even though I hardly know the roster. I've started listening to Voyager yesterday and I know this will be a kick ass prog band. This will go over very well with the audience.

A couple of years ago (2008?) I really didn't care for the roster but went anyhow. Glad I did! There was no one favorite band for me that year but the overall experience is totally worth it. So if anyone is on the fence for going or not, just go and have fun. You may learn something new and appreciate a band you never knew existed until now.

I only know a couple of the bands announced (arcturus, sanctuary, therion and dream evil) but actually getting to see arcturus live would be enough to make me have to go even if I didn't know any of the others.

You mean Yenz Leonhardt won't be coming to play next year with one of the zillion bands he is in :lol:

Then again there are midweek mayhem on wednesday or kick off show on thursday that their line up are not announced yet :D

In case it isn't yet clear that I'm excited.. *ahem* AAAAARRRCTUUUURRUUSSSSSSS!!! :worship:

On another note, I'm really digging VOYAGER. Methinks a future headliner if they play their cards (and set) right. I could happen, afterall look at Pagan's Mind and Circus Maximus. :Spin: I'm smitten with this guy's voice!

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that may have missed the Blabbermouth press release yesterday (since many were traveling).

THERION, SANCTUARY, ARCTURUS Confirmed For Next Year's PROGPOWER USA XII Festival - Sep. 12, 2010

A special U.S.-exclusive show from Swedish progressive/experimental metallers THERION, a rare appearance from pre-NEVERMORE cult band SANCTUARY, and the first confirmed reunion show of Norwegian avant-garde metal originators ARCTURUS have been announced for the ProgPower USA XII festival, set to take place September 14-17, 2011 at Center Stage in Atlanta, Georgia.

"ProgPower USA is definitely one of the better organized festivals we have attended and was a highlight on our first U.S. tour. We feel honored to have been invited again, and will prepare something special for the event, as this is the one and only chance for our US-fans to see us live in their country," comments THERION's Christofer Johnsson.

ARCTURUS vocalist ICS Vortex (real name Simen Hestnæs) adds, "ProgPower USA 2011 will host the first ARCTURUS concert in five years. This is our first performance in the United States, and since we're all retarded, probably the last."

ProgPower USA XII confirmed bands:

THERION (Sweden)
SANCTUARY (USA)
ARCTURUS (Norway)
DREAM EVIL (Sweden)
LABYRINTH (Italy)
MOB RULES (Germany)
ELDRITCH (Italy)
WHILE HEAVEN WEPT (USA)
RED CIRCUIT (Germany)
VOYAGER (Australia)
HAKEN (UK)
CREATION'S END (USA)

For more information, visit www.progpowerusa.com.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=145919

ARCTURUS vocalist ICS Vortex (real name Simen Hestnæs) adds, "ProgPower USA 2011 will host the first ARCTURUS concert in five years. This is our first performance in the United States, and since we're all retarded, probably the last."

:lol::lol: Thanks for posting this else I would have completely missed that gem of Vortex wit.

Oh lawrdy, I can't wait to see him on the PP stage! I hope they do a lot of the theatrics as their set has the potential to be entirely epic. :kickass: