ProgPower USA XII Roster Discussion

One... I think this forum becomes less and less representative of the actual festival audience with each passing year.

Oh, I agree with that, but I'm one individual who is pretty representative. I've been to 5, 6, 8, and 11. I skipped 7,9,10. Ignore that pattern at your peril.:)

Two... the type of fan who comes one year because of a band Tyr, may be back the following year simply because they had a blast that first time they came. Consequently, I think these oddball selections have a lasting effect and create a wider and wider net each year.

This sounds right. Epica alone drew me to ProgPower for the first time; not particularly an oddball, but not a typical prog or power band, either. I also enjoyed several of the other bands that year, especially Freak Kitchen. Since then, one thing I always look forward to every year now is getting to see who next year's oddball will be.

I can already tell you two of my friends who have never been to PP are considering going for Sanctuary.

I have a few friends that wouldn't have ever considered going to the festival in the past. They are now interested due to Sanctuary, Arcturus, & Therion. So much so, that they are asking me more about the festival, hotel, travel, etc... Things they wouldn't have inquired about before.

Zod: I don't remember Vanden Plas's announcement for the pre-show having much of an impact on that year's main show ticket sales (based on when it was announced, and the changes to the # of main show tickets purchased). It also seems like a nearly sold out Helloween-Gamma Ray show didn't help to sell out a ProgPower show.

Maybe this year it will be different in how they've planned it. But the problem will be that if shane's show sells out its because of locals buying the ticket, and they won't necessarily want to buy the higher priced main show ticket because they don't have to (unless it also makes them want to come). People travelling in all know that to go to the pre-show means the ticket price + possibly an extra hotel night. I'm sure there are some people who will decide that it makes it worthwhile to travel in for the main show due to the combination of it and the pre-show, but I'm not sure how much of an impact this can have.

Zod: I don't remember Vanden Plas's announcement for the pre-show having much of an impact on that year's main show ticket sales (based on when it was announced, and the changes to the # of main show tickets purchased). It also seems like a nearly sold out Helloween-Gamma Ray show didn't help to sell out a ProgPower show.

The pre-show Helloween/Gamma Ray announcement was made before the festival even went on sale.

My predictions are hedged on the premise that Glenn can't create a new audience in just one year. The current fanbase wasn't created in a year, or even two. But who knows, maybe enough of the regulars plus a bunch of new fans who never wanted to come in the past will make it a sellout.

It's not a crazy thing to attempt, given that it's impossible for Glenn to alienate his fans merely by booking shows they don't want to see. I'll keep on coming as long as I like the lineup, I don't take it personally when Glenn doesn't book my favorite band. He's earned too much respect for anyone to abandon the fest just because they don't like one, or even two lineups.

Besides, it'll save me money. Glenn keeps on forcing me to spend money I can't afford to spend. I need a break once in awhile to buy some furniture or something. My bed is still on the ground and I don't have cable TV. :lol:

I really think people are underestimating the drawing power of this lineup next year. I'll eat my hat if it doesn't sell out.

I agree and I really hope people took the oppurtunity to get some business cards to promote for next year.I'm going to Slayer+Megadeth+Anthrax on October 1st in Atlanta and I'm giving out some there.Also going to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra in Birmingham in December,expect to get some people interested from that show.I'm sure I'll go to more shows as we get closer to next year and I'll be advertising as much as possible.I'm already jamming to Red Circuit daily since Sunday.Can't wait for next year!!!!

The problem is that a *lot* of people are narrowminded as fuck. If it's not straight up progressive or straight up power metal, they won't even bother checking out. I mean, people really need to realize that ProgPower is branching into new territory and that's how it's going to be from now on, it seems.

The people who keep on expecting the same Kamelot, Sonata, Nightwish, Evergrey and Epica every single year should really wake up and smell the coffee.

I need to have that quote printed on a t-shirt. The ironic thing is that next year's lineup has plenty of "typical" bands that ought to keep people happy. What, Mob Rules and Dream Evil aren't power enough? Labyrinth? Eldritch?

This is the most exciting lineup I've seen in years.

Thanks, I was psyched when I first heard about the offer to play! ProgPower definitely seems alot more happening than Powermad (first off, there's more than 40 people that show up haha!). Looking forward to meeting and hanging out with everybody!
You're welcome! That's awesome, I have no doubt that it would be exciting to get that offer. LOL!!! Yeah, definitely WAY more than 40, the venue is MUCH nicer. Hell, everything about it is nicer! I look forward to meeting and working with you and your band.

I always wondered about editing something on Wikipedia, so I added something to Sanctuary's page about them playing ProgPower with a link to the PP site in the references section. No big deal really, but since I was able to just edit it, I can see why college professors won't accept Wiki articles as references. I could have said they were playing my poker night next month.

Maybe this year it will be different in how they've planned it. But the problem will be that if shane's show sells out its because of locals buying the ticket, and they won't necessarily want to buy the higher priced main show ticket because they don't have to (unless it also makes them want to come). People travelling in all know that to go to the pre-show means the ticket price + possibly an extra hotel night. I'm sure there are some people who will decide that it makes it worthwhile to travel in for the main show due to the combination of it and the pre-show, but I'm not sure how much of an impact this can have.

You may just be wording this strangely but Helloween/Gamma Ray did sell out. As did that year's Progpower. I also know that had it not been for that show I most likely wouldn't have gone to the fest.

The pre-show Helloween/Gamma Ray announcement was made before the festival even went on sale.

You sure about this? I remember thinking whether or not I was gonna go, declined. Then when the Hellish Rock Tour was announced/on sale I bought tickets to all three. It could very well be that I was misinformed at that time, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened. It also could've been a case where they announced Hellish Rock before tickets went on sale but Hellish Rock went on sale after the main fest did.

My predictions are hedged on the premise that Glenn can't create a new audience in just one year. The current fanbase wasn't created in a year, or even two. But who knows, maybe enough of the regulars plus a bunch of new fans who never wanted to come in the past will make it a sellout.

It's not a crazy thing to attempt, given that it's impossible for Glenn to alienate his fans merely by booking shows they don't want to see. I'll keep on coming as long as I like the lineup, I don't take it personally when Glenn doesn't book my favorite band. He's earned too much respect for anyone to abandon the fest just because they don't like one, or even two lineups.

Besides, it'll save me money. Glenn keeps on forcing me to spend money I can't afford to spend. I need a break once in awhile to buy some furniture or something. My bed is still on the ground and I don't have cable TV. :lol:

Next year's lineup is diverse, but I don't know where you're getting the idea that Glenn needs to build a new fanbase in one year? I know you don't like the headliners, but I find that most of the lineup outside of Sanctuary, When Heaven Wept and Arcturus would've been choices any other year. How are bands like Dream Evil, Mob Rules, Eldrich, Labyrinth, etc. not fit in with prog or power? In terms of Therion, they played before and from what I hear were popular when they played. They also have a pretty good following, despite what you may think.

Also, considering what some people are saying, that there were A LOT of new people who attended this year, not to mention a number of people returning from past years, I don't see how he's rebuilding the audience. If anything, he'll bring in people who had their first progpower last year who enjoyed their time as well as people who will come for the first time because of Arcturus.

I always wondered about editing something on Wikipedia, so I added something to Sanctuary's page about them playing ProgPower with a link to the PP site in the references section. No big deal really, but since I was able to just edit it, I can see why college professors won't accept Wiki articles as references. I could have said they were playing my poker night next month.

I experienced the same thing as I noticed Dream Evil wasn't even mentioned on next year's lineup.

You sure about this? I remember thinking whether or not I was gonna go, declined. Then when the Hellish Rock Tour was announced/on sale I bought tickets to all three. It could very well be that I was misinformed at that time, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened. It also could've been a case where they announced Hellish Rock before tickets went on sale but Hellish Rock went on sale after the main fest did.

Announcement was made February 27. PP tickets went on sale March 1. Hellish Rock tickets went on sale March 15.

That sort of makes sense now. Still though progpower tickets went on sale first, so it did help some. No one will ever know how much though.

I know. I didn't understand the implication of two sell out shows not impacting each other. Especially since you can't make a comparison of any kind of spike in fest sales if the announcement was made before the fest was on sale.

Would the fest have sold out without the Hellish Rock tour? I'd say it has a good chance. Would the Hellish Rock show have sold out without the fest? I'd say that'd be unlikely but I'm not fully aware of how those shows typically sell in Atlanta. I do know that I saw plenty of faces I always see at PP.