Progressive Rock Bands...

John Gargo

Hawkwind
Mar 4, 2003
New York
Visit site
Well, listened to Opeth has really opened me up to a lot of new kinds of bands and styles (Camel is a current favorite)... Right now, I'm listening to a lot of prog-rock bands from the 70s... You know, popular stuff like King Crimson, Yes, Rush, Pink Floyd, and ELP... Anyone else have any recommendations for bands from that period that I should check out? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

John Gargo said:
Well, listened to Opeth has really opened me up to a lot of new kinds of bands and styles (Camel is a current favorite)... Right now, I'm listening to a lot of prog-rock bands from the 70s... You know, popular stuff like King Crimson, Yes, Rush, Pink Floyd, and ELP... Anyone else have any recommendations for bands from that period that I should check out? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Camel is really the ultimate prog-rock band, there's not much better (apart from Pink Floyd of course).
Which albums do you have?

jeanreno said:
Which albums do you have?
I've got the debut, Mirage, and Moonmadness, and I've heard a bunch more on mp3. I'll get around to checking out the rest of their catalogue eventually. Also, I'm familiar with most of those new prog-rock bands, especially "Spock's Beard" and "Porcupine Tree..." Great stuff! Thanks for the recommendations guys! For everyone else, keep 'em coming! :D

Ominous Luminous said:
Opus Avantra
Goblin
Museo Rosenbach
Anglagard
Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
Van Der Graaf Generator
Magma
There really are a ton of bands to sort through in this genre, and quite a few are from Italy.

np:Johnny Marr and the Healers-Boomslang

This guy knows his prog. Listen to him, most of the other stuff listed in this thread relate more to the neo-prog/prog metal scene.

I will add:
Anekdoten
Renaissance
(Obviously if you haven't heard them)Genesis
Gentle Giant
National Health
Pain of Salvation (yes - prog metal, but seriously they take way more influence from prog bands of yesteryear rather than the DT-inspired stuff)
Univers Zero

And get some Mahavishnu Orchestra - fusion, but most prog fans seem to like it.

Edit - And I seriously recommend Anglagard, Hybris is probably the best 90s prog record...

WHERE CAN I GET SOME ANGLAGARD CD'S?
for pete's sakes!
it is virtually impossible to get it off of ebay because everyone else wants it and they end up bidding up a storm...

I was fortunate to get their Epilog recording on vinyl though...

I've read that they will be getting re-issued. does anyone know anything about this?

cheers