Question regarding the prog's popularity increase

How abt Watchtower, Atheist or Cynic?

As for this board, or fest even, I believe it leans FAR towards Power to the point that I dunno how anyone can see it otherwise.

I remember when MY fav prog band played PP - Spiral Architect: I was blown away, yet the reaction on the board seemed to be overwhelmingly negative.

wow, this subject has sparked so much debate about Prog vs. Power. But, come on, I mean really? Does it REALLY matter? Booking a band for this festival should be all about one thing and one thing only, what we want to see and hear. For me what I want to see ranges greatly. I could care less if a band is Prog or Power or just good ol hard rock(Gotthard). The only thing that matters is are they good, and will they spark interest. Every year I learn of new bands that get announced for this festival and end up being completely enthralled by them. Last year it was Mustache and Saint Deamon. This year for me its Mind Flow and Suspyre. Vastly different "genre's" or styles if you will. I think the biggest problem with all this debate is trying to "label" whats prog or power or whatever. Does it matter? Because for me the answer to that is HELL NO! I LOVE this festival because a band like Freak Kitchen can kick my ass and make me laugh at the same time and then another band like Saint Deamon can be as smooth as can be with their melodies and catchy riff's. Or even KNOWING I was going to HATE a band (Iron Savior), then being completely blown away by their performance, leaving me running to the vendors room for some of their cd's.
I love Rock, Metal, Prog, Speed, etc.... just don't care to hear vocalists that cant "sing" i.e. growling death style vocals. For someone to say they ONLY like this style or that really has a narrow scope of interest.
Anyway, thats my humbe opinion and I'm sticking to it. Can't wait to see you all in the next day or 2. Leaving Louisville (driving)tomorrow morning for the ATL.

Prog headliners will never sell. Power sells the tickets, always has and always will. This forum leans heavily towards the prog side, but is very unrepresentative of the other 80% of the festival attendees.

IMHO, of course.

I agree with others; in my experience this forum trends toward power, not prog.

This hits the nail on the head for me. I'm more likely to "get into" a show by a band I don't know if their music is catchier and they put on a more exciting show (power metal). Most prog metal bands basically just stand there and play, which is a boring way to experience new music.

Extrapolate this to include metal fans who are not on this forum and who are not already familiar with the ProgPower experience (the camaraderie, etc.) and I think it's easy to see why power bands put asses in seats for Glenn: even if someone is unfamiliar with a power band, it is catchier and plain easier to get into for a festival newbie.

I love Rock, Metal, Prog, Speed, etc.... just don't care to hear vocalists that cant "sing" i.e. growling death style vocals. For someone to say they ONLY like this style or that really has a narrow scope of interest.

Haha, that's a pretty ignorant comment (go ahead...just TRY to match Mikael Akerfeldt on tour, 60 days, maybe 3 offdays...then tell me he can't "sing"), but THIS fish ain't taking that bait today. :lol:

Haha, that's a pretty ignorant comment (go ahead...just TRY to match Mikael Akerfeldt on tour, 60 days, maybe 3 offdays...then tell me he can't "sing"), but THIS fish ain't taking that bait today. :lol:

Not to be defending someone I don't know, but I think you aren't reading into what he said correctly. What he said is he doesn't (as do I) understand people who ONLY like one genre. When he said he doesn't care for death metal vocals, I think it has more to do with standing it more than talent. Let's be honest here, are grunts singing? NO!!! Unlike him though, I do appreciate those as well if done right. Everyone has certain styles they like or dislike is essentially what he's saying and for people to only be a fan of one type is very narrow minded.

As for the main portion of this forum, while I agree that power metal is catchier I don't think that just because you don't know a certain band's material, that you can't get into a prog band. For example, I don't know if anyone else noticed last year, but Pathosray got a pretty damn good reception after their set last year and most people didn't know their stuff. So I don't think you necessarily have to be power to get asses in the seats, but you need to be good and have something that stands out from the rest. Which, (and I may get some pissed people from saying this) is my one complaint about a lot of power metal bands. A lot of them just don't stand out for me. I like them but there are some that aren't that have a similar sound. Rhapsody, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, etc. all have a similar sound in my opinion. However, bands like Brainstorm, Iced Earth and Blind Guardian are pretty unique.

Which, (and I may get some pissed people from saying this) is my one complaint about a lot of power metal bands. A lot of them just don't stand out for me. I like them but there are some that aren't that have a similar sound. Rhapsody, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, etc. all have a similar sound in my opinion. However, bands like Brainstorm, Iced Earth and Blind Guardian are pretty unique.

I don't disagree with you, but the same could easily be said for any genre. To me Dream Theater, Pathosray, Conception, Andromeda, Adagio, and a host of others all sound the same to me. However, Amorphis, Orphaned Land, and Communic are pretty unique. It's simply the other side of the same coin.

I don't care if bands have a similar sound if I like the style they play. Some people like Zod for example, although he is hardly alone, demand something original and unique to pay attention to a band. I just demand bands execute what they are doing well.

Not to be defending someone I don't know, but I think you aren't reading into what he said correctly. What he said is he doesn't (as do I) understand people who ONLY like one genre. When he said he doesn't care for death metal vocals, I think it has more to do with standing it more than talent. Let's be honest here, are grunts singing? NO!!! Unlike him though, I do appreciate those as well if done right. Everyone has certain styles they like or dislike is essentially what he's saying and for people to only be a fan of one type is very narrow minded.

Exactly my point.
Actually when blended and done correctly I too can appreciate a "accentuation" of this style, I LOVE Mercenary, Scar Symmetry, and I quite enjoy Amorphis, amongst others. But, I will say ALL DAY LONG growling is just that growling. NOT singing. If you think someone who sounds like they are getting burned to death while in front of a mic is "singing" then my "ignorance", as you say, is bliss. I will say if that is your thing, then I TOTALLY respect that. I think that's what most of us here are all about. Not just settling for what someone else thinks is cool, or good or whatever. Listening to a variety and forming your own opinion is what I love about this Festival and this fan base. Otherwise we would all be listening to the garbage Clear Channel is try to force feed every one because its "cool".........not. I know there are ALOT of you that may be 9 inch limp corn bisquit fans, but I'm not one of them. I do however like enjoy a WIDE variety as I would think by MANY posts on this forum in the past that many here are like me in this regard. I learned a valuable lesson a long time ago from a dear friend, and that was even if I didn't like something the first time I heard it, didn't mean I wouldn't like it when I was in a different mood. I must say unless I absolutley hate something I will usually give it more than one chance. I have passed on buying some CD's just hearing a bit of it once or twice, only to absolutely love it after (as i like to call it) hearing it again.....for the first time. I guess my ultimate point is that for everyone to be sooo quick to "label" something this or that makes no sense to me, powermetal, progmetal, melodic metal, its all the same to me. I just prefer to enjoy each band for what they are and what they are doing, and it's either appealing to me or not. It makes absolutely NO difference to me whether some dub it Prog or Power or what ever. Wow can't believe I'll be in the ATL in less than 24 hrs. I need to gat some sleep. See you all soon.:headbang:

I don't care if bands have a similar sound if I like the style they play. Some people like Zod for example, although he is hardly alone, demand something original and unique to pay attention to a band. I just demand bands execute what they are doing well.

+1 Well said:headbang::kickass:

I learned a valuable lesson a long time ago from a dear friend, and that was even if I didn't like something the first time I heard it, didn't mean I wouldn't like it when I was in a different mood. :headbang:

VERY TRUE! I'll be honest, years ago everyone kept going on and on about how good Iced Earth was. I listened to them and didn't care for them at all and tried 2-3 times. Then a year later, I tried them one more time and loved them. Same thing goes with Blind Guardian, Dimmu Borgir and even Iron Maiden just to name a few.

I agree with others; in my experience this forum trends toward power, not prog.

Let em clarify the point I was trying to make :) IMO, this forum trends more towards prog than the general public. I don't dispute that this forum trends towards power, my point is, for as much as this forum trends towards power, the general public trends more towards power. That really means prog is not that popular.

Also, just for the record I love prog metal, so I'm not slamming it, just posting my observations.