Quick Survey: How long have you been listening to metal?

slaughter of the soul
98?

edit: i guess i was listening to metallica since i was a kid and slayer and iced earth and shit for a few years before that...this was the first 'extreme' metal album i heard.

Metallica - Black Album (then onto Master of Puppets)

edit: I was listening to Ozzy and Van Halen type stuff before 92, but I consider that the album and year that I really got into metal.

1999 or 2000

starting with Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax, moved onto Iced Earth, then onto whatever else from there.

first great metal album was probably Death - Symbolic

JayKeeley said:

Ahh that's rough, I wasn't even born :)

2001 (probably) for me. First Metallica, then Sabbath, then Ozzy, Pantera, Slayer... then around the end of 2002 I bought an Opeth album cause the cover looked nice. Now I can't stand most of the bands I used to like (Except Sabbath and Ozzy)... and i've come a pretty long way in a short time.

1993 I think. I must have been 9 years old. The album that did it for me was Metallica's Black Album. Then shortly after I began collecting the entire Metallica discography, then onto other thrash, then onto more underground stuff around 13 or 14.

Kinda two different times for me...

Slayer - Decade of Aggression

And then the rediscovery of metal after a lapse in interest...

Opeth - Morningrise (yeah... gateway band alright)

was into kreator, testament, megadeth, etc

2001 - got into extermer metal, with opeth, ulver, and woods of ypres

1984 bitches ... Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry ... and then some Maiden - Powerslave

it was the perfect music to sign away my "fresh off the boat" Communist blues.

A few dates:

1984 when I was 5, started listening to music including Suicidal Tendencies, the Police, the Smiths, Jesus and Mary Chain, Michael Jackson, Duran Duran, John Cougar Mellonhead, and Van Halen.

1987 discovered the Beastie Boys and listened to nothing but rap except the occasional bit of classic rock.

1991 heard Metallica's black album, and started discovering bands like Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, and others. Considered myself a metalhead at this point, but also listened to Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, and of course plenty of classic rock like always.

1993 heard Sepultura - Arise and was sold on extreme metal. Carcass, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Entombed, and Napalm Death all came next.

Oh man, this thread makes me wanna :kickass: .