Quick tone test... how close am I?

Nov 6, 2002
Ireland
Visit site
Using Revalver I've tried to get a sound as close as possible to one of my favourite producers tracks (Karl Groom).

This track compares my production with the pro one, side by side...

How close am I? And what should I do to get closer to that sound? (it's obvious which one is the "fake" hehe)...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889569&songID=7055959

thanks in advance for listening to my experiments...

I'm on the road for work, so all I have is my internal laptop speaker at the moment. But I think I like you tone better..it's not as harsh. Very usable tone, IMO.

Thanks Brett, much appreciated that you took the time to check it! Did I hear you correctly... you think my sound is better?

So far this is as good as I can get with just revalver and the impulses, and a little EQ and Voxengo (Elephant + Varisaturator). It seems the trick is to get the sound as close as possible without resorting to EQ and other plugs...

I'd take out just a bit from the lows, there's some bleeding going on. Your tone is great though! Like yours better than the original.

Just curious...what impulse are you using? I REALLY like Metaltastic's On-Axis More Pres impulses with Revalver. Check them out if you haven't yet.

I like your guitar tone better as well.... the original sounds too harsh... but there is too much compression when you do palm muting the compression kinda changes the volume too much...

first thing that i notice is that your gain is a tad bit lower and the bass is a little boomy, well way boomy. take care of the bass and eq in some more mids, your sounds is a little scooped compared to the original.

Woah.. many thanks for listening guys, really appreciated...

first thing that i notice is that your gain is a tad bit lower and the bass is a little boomy, well way boomy. take care of the bass and eq in some more mids, your sounds is a little scooped compared to the original.

Yes, I've added a bit of bass alright, so maybe I need to extend the low pass filter a bit (at the moment it's just at the very end, reducing frequencies below 30hz or so). I liked the slightly boomy effect from the palm mutes, but I guess this will mess up the mix later on?

I will EQ in some more mids and repost. That said, by scooping it, I had thought I made it "cleaner" somehow?

I like your guitar tone better as well.... the original sounds too harsh... but there is too much compression when you do palm muting the compression kinda changes the volume too much...

Ahh.. well spotted man, kudos... I will need to watch that compression, and use less. Not sure if I want to use the Voxengo stuff anymore, I'm not sure if they are helping my sound in the right way...

Just curious...what impulse are you using? I REALLY like Metaltastic's On-Axis More Pres impulses with Revalver. Check them out if you haven't yet.

That's te problem with downloaded impulses - you go back to see which one it was, and it doesn't tell ya :guh:

Let me see... it was from GuitarHacks "JJ Powertube Impulses", and one of the tracks was "JJ Centre 0" and also "Centre 45-1" I think. I went through tons of impulses to find the right one for this sound, and those seemed the best fit (although I'm still not 100% sure it was those ones, but definitely some from that folder).

I'd take out just a bit from the lows, there's some bleeding going on.

Yeah I still think I have some way to go before I get that close... (Karl uses lots of amazing gear to get his sounds, and he's a very skilled producer ). But will try what you've said, thanks...