Rage - Strings To A Web

USDHead

Paul
Dec 24, 2009
Bury, UK
"Progressive Thrash Metal"............??!!

Interesting genre ident! I really don't think I've got anything amongst my c8k album collection that would genuinely count as "thrash metal" and I do have quite a sprinkling of albums by Rage.

Seriously, if I were seeking new bands to investigate at this stage (and, actually, I still do...) and saw a band labelled as "progressive thrash metal" I would give them a pretty wide berth.

I think you may be killing some potential orders, Ken.... :danceboy:

Paul:

Thanks for the lesson in marketing. I can't help it if you are unfamiliar with the thrash metal genre. Rage has long been considered part of the 80s German thrash metal scene. Their recent albums move into a more progressive direction.

Rage aren't thrash, or progressive. They're more of a speed/power metal band. They make use of symphonies on their later stuff though.

We thrash fans are indeed big into progressive/technical thrash. Watchtower, Voivod, Mekong Delta, Toxik...good stuff!

:erk:Not a big fan of "'Trash Metal"' but I do have ( Speak of the dead) cd which I played once and never went back to it , Its in a pile of cds waiting to go to "Vintage Vinyle"' for trade ins,,

Only trying to he helpful Ken - nothing else!

Yes, I certainly am familiar with thrash - and importantly as a genre it is not in the slightest bit melodic. Rage is, and through the nine albums I have by this band always have been. I wonder how you would call the music of Grave Digger?

...And this is why I get (to use a word you used the other day, Ken, in connection with the new Nevermore box) "nauseous" about the self-limiting effect of so-called genre descriptions. They can be oh-so self-defeating.