Rank the Prog Power Headliners!!

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
I've got a fun post for everyone. Lets take all the Headliners from the past and rank them by your favorites... but under one condition. You cannot count any albums or events that happened after the band's PP performance at the time. For example, when Edguy headlined, you have to pretend as if the Superheroes EP never happened. This may lower, or in some cases raise, what your ranking would have been for the band. This would include this year's headliners. I'm assuming most people will just use Angra's second performance in their ranking at VI and not count III.

We could also separately rank the headliners who have already played by who had the best performance. Only not all of us have seen every Prog Power, so it may not be a fair ranking. I've only seen III through VI. Thats still four years of Prog Power... wow, there was a time when Prog Power was a new concept people got excited about for its mere existence :) Now, it's so mainstream in the prog/power community, it's a staple, perhaps the center of the movement's existence. We've gone from hoping good prog/power bands will accept playing at Prog Power, to good prog/power bands being lucky to be chosen for the event.

Anyhow... I'm sure Glenn would be very curious to see how we'd rank the bands. Here's my pick. For grins and giggles, I'm also going to rank the best years for band quality (at the time) for each Festival.

1.) Blind Guardian
2.) Angra (although performance wise, this was my favorite headliner)
3.) Symphony X
4.) Stratovarius
5.) Pain of Salvation (in '01, PoS had better albums so far :)
6.) Nightwish
7.) Kamelot
8.) Edguy
9.) Evergey
10.) Nevermore
11.) Weapons of Mass Destruction (had Zak Stevens headlined and Sava played the newer stuff, this would have been higher)
12.) Rage

Every headliner so far, has been excellent, so I'm not complaining when I put Nevermore and Evergrey toward the bottom. I simply prefer previous year headliners a little better.

Festival Ranking (I've only attended III-VI)...
1.) III (although I was too smashed for most of this :)
2.) V
3.) IV and VI tied (I liked VI's top 4 more than IV's top 4; but preferred IV's bottom 6 to VI's bottom 6.)

The Michael

Michael TEOF said:
1.) Blind Guardian
3.) Symphony X
4.) Stratovarius
6.) Nightwish
7.) Kamelot
8.) Edguy
9.) Evergey
10.) Nevermore
11.) Weapons of Mass Destruction (had Zak Stevens headlined and Sava played the newer stuff, this would have been higher)
12.) Rage

EVERGEy!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've only been to IV-VI so I guess I can only comment on 6 headliners. But...

1) Rage - One of the best shows I've ever seen, glad I didn't ditch...
2) Savatage
3) Angra
4) Edguy
5) Nightwish
6) Stratovarius - I thought they were mostly awful.

Whoops...I didn't really read what your post said and just kinda went ahead and posted my list...oh well...I guess I did kinda what your second paragraph said... :D

Blind Guardian
Edguy
Nevermore
Symphony X
Stratovarius
Kamelot
Angra
Pain of Salvation
Rage
Evergey
Nightwish
Weapons of Mass Destruction

My ranking is not yet counting Evergrey and Nevermore since it did not happen yet...

1. Blind Guardian
2. Gamma Ray
3. Stratovarius
4. Edguy
5. Weapons of Mass Destruction
6. Angra
7. Rage
8. Nightwish
9. Kamelot
10. Symphony X
11. Pain of Salvation

Headliners I thought were great:

Edguy
Symphony X
Evergrey (Assuming they play like the last 5-6 times I've seen them)
Nevermore (ditto)

Headliners I thought were OK:
Kamelot
Stratovarius
Rage

Headliners that I thought stunk:
Bland Guardian

Headliners I didn't like so I left:
Pain of Salvation
Angra
Nightwish

Well, if a 4 slot counts as a headliner, hands down it would be Conception for me (absolutely incredible.) If not, then:
Kamelot- First time
Pain of Salvation- First time
Gamma Ray
Nightwish
Angra
Symphony X
Evergrey
Edguy
Blind Guardian (one of my favorite bands, but dissapointed in their performance.) They were much better in NY for whatever reason...

First off ... the headliners are rarely ever the main attraction for me, but there have been some clear winners in my book.

I'm putting Symphony X in the top spot. They played "The Odyssey" in it's entirety ... pretty much flawlessly.

#1 Symphony X
#2 Kamelot
#3 Evergrey
#4 Rage (I thought they kicked total ass)

after that it's a toss-up.

Britt

1.) Blind Guardian
3.) Symphony X
4.) Stratovarius
6.) Nightwish
7.) Kamelot
8.) Edguy
9.) Evergey
10.) Nevermore
12.) Rage

that was your post...and strange enough, thats pretty much mine. the only thing id change is switch POS and Kamelot...(of course, i haven't seen these bands, i am judging by how much i listen to the band.)

1) Nevermore
2) Symphony X
3) Evergrey
4) Pain of Salvation (this ranking is an average between their headliner shows; their show at PP1 was one of the best performances I've ever seen)
5) Rage
6) Stratovarius
7) Edguy
8) Blind Guardian
9) WoMD (I agree, Zak singing would have put them much higher... as it stands, I've seen WAAAAAAY better Savatage shows in the past)
10) Kamelot
11) Angra
12) Nightwish

EDIT: okay, so Gamma Ray counts too... they'd be my #1.

I've only been to 1, 5, & 6 so i'll just go with those 3 for my favorites.

1. Symphony X
2. Angra
3. Edguy
4. Stratovarius
5. P.O.S.
6. W.O.M.D.

If I was doing all 13 headliners then it would be as follows just on the bands I like (mixing in the performances above):

1) Symphony X
2) Angra
3) Nightwish
4) Kamelot
5) Edguy
6) Stratovarius
7) Evergrey
8) Nevermore
9) Blind Guardian
10) Gamma Ray
11) Rage
12) Pain of Salvation
13) WoMD

Nevermore
Evergey
Angra
Symphony X
Kamelot
Edguy
Blind Guardian
Rage
Nightwish
Pain of Salvation
Stratovarius

Though, the last five, are really how I prefer their CDs. I either only stayed for 2-3 songs or skipped them entirely.

Zod

Hooo boy... this is a helluva test...

1.) Edguy
2.) Rage
3.) Symphony X
4.) Kamelot
5.) Blind Guardian
6.) Angra
7.) Evergrey
8.) Stratovarius
9.) Weapons of Mass Destruction
10.) Pain of Salvation
11.) Nightwish
12.) Nevermore

And the only reason Nevermore is on the bottom of the list is cuz I haven't seen em headline yet! I know they'll stomp a mudhole in my ass and walk it dry, but I can't vote for them until the show comes and goes!

1) Edguy Phenomenial
2) Savatage
3) Angra
4) Rage
5) Nightwish
6) Stratovarius if they did one more ballad UUGGH

I'm using the history page listing to decide the headliners, rather than who played in the last slot (since bands like Nightwish and BG requested an earlier spot).

Just ranking my favorite bands, purely on their CDs, and considering only what was released at the time:

1. WOMD (Both Sav and JOP)
2. Symphony X (V is an amazing album)
3. Edguy
4. Blind Guardian
5. Kamelot
6. Angra (six through nine are pretty much interchangeable for me - like them all)
7. Evergrey
8. Nightwish
9. Gamma Ray
10. Stratovarius (Would have been higher a few CDs ago)
11. Rage
12. Nevermore (Learning to like 'em, but that's all)
13. Pain of Salvation (I really like Remedy Lane, but overall not a huge fan)

To contrast, here is how I rank the band performances, but this doesn't include PPI or PPII. I've seen everything from III on, which means there are 8 bands to rank, purely on the PP performance:

1. WOMD - Sorry, but this was a concert highlight for me. It was made more so because I thought Oliva's voice was gone, but he did the old songs justice. This was an amazing night. Make Oliva a regular.

2. Edguy - While not as electric as their PPIII third slot, they were still a great live act. Good mix of songs, too.

3. Nightwish - Tarja was dead on, and the rest of the band was sharp as well. An excellent performance.

4. Gamma Ray - Excellent set, except for . . .that . . . . damn . . . . drum . . . solo!!! I bitch about this every once in a while. You are playing the US for the first time. You have a limited time to play. You have a huge catalog. You have raving fans. What do you do? Interrupt the show with a 5 minute energy draining solo. Slam slam . . . stand up and have the audience scream. Repeat ad nauseum. The rest of their show was great, literally right down to the curtain.

5. Blind Guardian - I was underwhelmed here. I love BG, but Hansi's voice just was not strong enough to hear during the fast songs. He sounded great on the slow ones, and the rest of the band was great, too, but losing the vocals disappointed me.

6. Stratovarius - A few too many slower songs, and here too were some lost vocals on the fast songs. I hadn't liked any of the last 3 albums much, but enjoyed the older songs.

7. Angra - They gave an amazing performance in PPIII, but were "off" last year. Edu's voice wasn't that great, and the band looked tired. I still enjoyed it, though.

8. Rage - I stayed for most of the set, but I wasn't that familiar with their catalog. They were very good, but I was beat by then. They do deserve more credit than they were given, though.

Thanks for listening,

Steve in Philly

I thought Symphony X, Evergrey and Pain of Salvation at PP1 were fantastic, but that was a 'different time' as it were. For 'modern progpower' I'd go with Rage as, like, 1 through 12, I thought they completely destroyed everything. I don't think I've ever rocked out harder at a show than I did during their set. The only other performance I'd put on their level would be Conception's last year and that was a totally different type of experience: total emotional impact and completely draining, so much so that I had to leave half way through Angra's set even though I love Angra. Pretty much the only headliner that hasn't appealed to me thus far was Gamma Ray. I'm pleased with both this year and am looking forward to a long set from Nevermore, I caught them last year on Gigantour and thought they put on the best set I'd seen from them yet (seen them a couple other times at Jaxx).

Jim in DC
NP: Bloodbound - Nosferatu