Rateyourmusic's Top 50 power metal of 2010

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
I had to weed out a couple of mixed genre releases but this is the list as rated by the members of that site. From the list, I like 28 to varying degrees. It's a fair list but obviously not everyone's gonna agree on the order but we can discuss it any way!

1 Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time

2 Instanzia - Ghosts

3 Manticora - Safe

4 Helloween - 7 Sinners

5 Masterplan - Time to Be King

6 Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied Pt. II: A Midnight Autumn's Dream

7 Dark Moor - Ancestral Romance

8 Rhapsody of Fire - The Frozen Tears of Angels

9 Galneryus - Resurrection

10 Rage - Strings to a Web

11 Pathfinder - Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time

12 Wuthering Heights - Salt

13 Sabaton - Coat of Arms

14 Pertness - From the Beginning to the End

15 Orden Ogan - Easton Hope

16 Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide

17 Grave Digger - The Clans Will Rise Again

18 Kiuas - Lustdriven

19 Ancient Bards - The Alliance of the Kings

20 Elvenking - Red Silent Tides

21 Triosphere - The Road Less Travelled

22 Soulspell - Labyrinth of Truths

23 Gamma Ray - To the Metal

24 Blaze - Promise and Terror

25 Firewind - Days of Defiance

26 Opera Magna - Poe

27 Juvaliant - Inhuman Nature

28 Icewind - Again Came the Storm

29 Magic Kingdom - Symphony of War

30 Innerwish - No Turning Back

31 Heljareyga - Heljareyga

32 Arryan Path - Terra Incognita

33 Versailles - Jubilee

34 Kaledon - Legend of the Forgotten Reign - Chapter 6: The Last Night on the Battlefield

35 Black Majesty - In Your Honour

36 Delirion - Lotus

37 Angra - Aqua

38 Revolution Renaissance - Trinity

39 Terra Prima - And Life Begins

40 Viathyn - The Peregrine Way

41 Dream Evil - In the Night

42 Crystal Viper - Legends

43 Shaman - Origins

44 Freedom Call - Legend of the Shadowking

45 Tierramystica - A New Horizon

46 Secret Sphere - Archetype

47 Forgotten Tales - We Shall See the Light

48 ReinXeed - Majestic

49 Wizards - The Black Knight

50 Dreamtone & Iris Mavraki’s Neverland - Ophidia

Based on that list, I'd say the genre, if not completely dead, is on life support. I've heard the majority of the releases on that list and I'd say there's maybe three worth owning. When done well, Power Metal may be my favorite genre. But it seems it's rarely done well any more.

very true...I love power metal but each year less and less good albums come out.
This list seems more of a "what came out this year" than a "best of"

True. It's just like all other genres though. There are peaks and valleys. Right now it's in a valley, but I'm sure at some point the quality will increase again.

Based on that list, I'd say the genre, if not completely dead, is on life support. I've heard the majority of the releases on that list and I'd say there's maybe three worth owning. When done well, Power Metal may be my favorite genre. But it seems it's rarely done well any more.

I whole-heartedly agree. I've been saying this for about 2 years at this point.

Well roughly 300 power metal albums have been released this year ranging from the real heavy end to the light happy end. This list is only 1/6 of the total. The thing with the way rateyourmusic works is that an album maybe be amazing or really good and get few rates cause people don't know about it enough. Of course the big bands always feature pretty highly cause any power metal fan worth their salt always tries the albums. To be fair to that list I would say there are 10-15 top class power metal albums on their, not necessarily the best of the band's career but a worthy addition. What exactly are people expecting from their fave power metal bands at this stage. Like I said in a thread awhile back, most of the big European pm bands released this year and whilst I am not saying they blew the roof off they still did good. I think a lot of you are just so burnt out on the whole style that you are going into disks with a very bad attitude like you are already writing off music before a note is played. Your loss.

Like it or not, there is an element of truth to that statement.

not really. I look forward to any new disc by a band I like. I think lots of bands are running out of idea's. I would rather see a band take a year or so off from recording until they have a great finished product that doing the typical 1 album per year thing. Power metal is my favorite genre but even with my top 10 disc this year...only a few were power metal disc. I have listened to about 80% of those disc in that list and most had some great stuff on the disc but also had some real clunkers or fillers. I am most excited to hear the new Wizards disc....amazing band but thier stuff is always hard to get.

Well roughly 300 power metal albums have been released this year...
May I ask where you got that number from?

I think a lot of you are just so burnt out on the whole style that you are going into disks with a very bad attitude like you are already writing off music before a note is played.
I'm not sure how you could know what attitude other people take with them when they listen to something new. While I can only speak for myself, the mere fact that I'm listening to it, means I'm expecting to like it. I rarely waste time listening to music I don't expect to enjoy.

By its very nature, Power Metal is a limited genre. As soon as it begins to draw significantly from new or different influences, people begin to view the music as something other than Power Metal. This isn't true of Black Metal, Prog Metal, Doom Metal, etc., which are far more flexible musically. Consequently, it only makes sense that the genre has stagnated.

Your loss.
I'm not sure what I've lost exactly... listening to dull, generic music?

Like it or not, there is an element of truth to that statement.
Look at your Top 25. Aside from your beloved Bards, you have Sinbreed at #14 and than nothing until spots 24 and 25. You want to throw Juvaliant in there? That's 3 out of your first 23. That's not much different than what Britt and I will have. I'm not sure we disagree.

Ok let's break it down with some of the bigger albums on that list.

1 Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time. Most people seem very pleased with the album that I've read although personally Iam not a BG fan butthe album is fine.

4 Helloween - 7 Sinners. Most people are happy with the album at this point in H's career and I really can't see for the life of me how they can improve at this stage.

5 Masterplan - Time to Be King. This one is mixed with some people I know being disappointed but for me this is just a real solid album with Jorn back.

6 Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied Pt. II: A Midnight Autumn's Dream. This one is actually a disapointment to me but I know lots like it and see it as their best for a long while.

7 Dark Moor - Ancestral Romance. It's a solid DM album, what exactly are you expecting from them?

8 Rhapsody of Fire - The Frozen Tears of Angels. Almost all the old Rhapsody fans are happy.

10 Rage - Strings to a Web. A solid and melodic Rage album. Meets expectations.

12 Wuthering Heights - Salt. The band delivers what is expected. A top class folky power metal album.

13 Sabaton - Coat of Arms. Ok so they make the same album all the time but the songs are still very good. Do you expect them to change? What the fuck for? It would be a nightmare if they changed.

16 Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide. One of the top class new breed Euro pm bands.

17 Grave Digger - The Clans Will Rise Again. Acually a disappointment but still GD delivers what they do and change for no one.

21 Triosphere - The Road Less Travelled. Another of the new breed with a top class heavy pm album.

23 Gamma Ray - To the Metal. This one is perhaps the one band who is quite stagnant. It's still a good album though but no magic from Kai.

25 Firewind - Days of Defiance. A return to heavier end of pm after dabbling in melodic rock a little.

37 Angra - Aqua. For me a disappointment but obviously many like it.

41 Dream Evil - In the Night. This is way too low hehe. A great band and album IMO.

44 Freedom Call - Legend of the Shadowking. Regular cool happy pm.

Again I repeat if you like pm as a genre how can you say these albums are boring or suck? Also since most of these bands have quite long careers what exactly were you expecting from them after all this time? My whole point is that just cause an individual is burnt out on a style it doesn't mean that the style has gone stale it just means your taste has changed. To me power metal is the same is as it's ever been or gotten better if anything, you either still like it or your burnt. simple.

Look at your Top 25. Aside from your beloved Bards, you have Sinbreed at #14 and than nothing until spots 24 and 25. You want to throw Juvaliant in there? That's 3 out of your first 23. That's not much different than what Britt and I will have. I'm not sure where we disagree.

I'm simply speaking of power metal only. I'm not burned out on the genre by any means as I enjoyed about 15 of those discs quite a bit. However, power metal does take a backseat to other genres at the moment for me. My Top 25 reflects that. If I would have expanded to a Top 50, then the power metal genre would have been heavily represented.

You stated there are maybe three worth owning in your post. I simply disagree.

Again I repeat if you like pm as a genre how can you say these albums are boring or suck?
They're boring because it's all been done before. These albums aren't bringing anything new. Worse, the songwriting isn't great.

Also since most of these bands have quite long careers what exactly were you expecting from them after all this time?
I expect most bands to fade. And this is what they've done. Angra is a great example. Why, if I want to listen to Angra, would I reach for the new disc? Same with a lot of the stalwarts on your list.

To me power metal is the same is as it's ever been or gotten better if anything, you either still like it or your burnt. simple.
So if we don't agree with you, we're wrong?

General Zod - 300 or so albums is from metal archives though there are plenty of cross genres mixed between thrash and power. Of course a lot of them are underground and get no publicity as well. You argue that pm is dead in the water but you see, once again that only reflects your personal taste. If I can find 28 albums in that list that obviously makes pm far more alive for me. Who is right then? You can't argue that yeah I love pm as a genre, it's my fave when it's done well, but then only barely like 3 from that list. You sound like you are just itching to bin albums cause something better exists already in the style. Fine. That's good for your point of view but if someone else still enjoys what pm has to offer as a genre in 2010/11 then you have to respect that.

Figured I'd give a few thoughts to the albums on this list I've heard. I heard like 80 albums this year, so this is only a fraction.

1 Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time

My personal #3 this year. Love Blind Guardian and love this disc. A big improvement over A Twist in the Myth, and honestly probably my 3rd favorite Blind Guardian album at this point. Damn fine, and stylistically merges a lot from across their career.

4 Helloween - 7 Sinners

Honestly wasn't impressed by this. I am admittedly not a big fan of Andi Deris and a lot of the stuff Helloween's done with him, but I honestly LOVED Gambling with the Devil, so this was still quite a disappointment for me.

5 Masterplan - Time to Be King

I worship the first 2 Masterplan records, and honestly loved Mike Dimeo and really enjoy MKII. This is IMO their weakest to date. This let me down considering my expectations, but it's still solid. Was my personal #24 I believe.

6 Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied Pt. II: A Midnight Autumn's Dream

My #5 for the year. A perfect return to form in both style and quality. Love this disc.

10 Rage - Strings to a Web

Not a big Rage fan, but it's an enjoyable listen.

12 Wuthering Heights - Salt

Made my top 10 for the year. Honestly this MIGHT be my favorite Wuthering Heights album to date. Damn solid from start to finish, and I just love what this band does.

16 Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide

Admittedly not very fresh sounding, but probably about as well-done as typical power/speed metal can be done. Enjoyable listen, was my #16 I believe.

21 Triosphere - The Road Less Travelled

Great disc, in my opinion. I really love the stylistic niche this band fits into, and it's GREAT to hear a great disc from a metal band with a female vocalist who really brings it. Made my top 25.

22 Soulspell - Labyrinth of Truths

Really enjoyed this. Some great guest appearances and nice metal opera sort of vibe. Made my top 30.

23 Gamma Ray - To the Metal

Very disappointing and very stagnant IMO. Definitely lacks a focal point - there's no "Rebellion in Dreamland" or "Armageddon" here. A couple tracks are better than others, but overall there's just nothing really interesting here. I fear Kai and co. have run out of ideas.

24 Blaze - Promise and Terror

It's hard for me to call this power metal, but oh well. I honestly LOVE the first two Blaze albums, and quite enjoy the third as well. This is more in the vein of its predecessor and thusly it just doesn't do that much for me.

25 Firewind - Days of Defiance

A bit of a disappointment for me, I feel like they kinda phoned it in with this, but I still really enjoy about half of the record.

27 Juvaliant - Inhuman Nature

Surprisingly good Symphonic Power Metal. I really enjoyed a bunch of tracks on this. Just missed my top 30. Would've probably ranked 31st or 32nd.

30 Innerwish - No Turning Back

Nothing groundbreaking, and there wasn't much to keep me coming back, but it's solid power metal, and the opening track rules.

35 Black Majesty - In Your Honour

I've always kinda felt like this band is on the cusp of something greater than they've ever actually achieved. Solid nonetheless.

37 Angra - Aqua

Just as with their last album, something just doesn't click for me. Honestly it annoys me because Rebirth and Temple of Shadows are my two favorite Angra records.

38 Revolution Renaissance - Trinity

Regardless of the Tolkki playing controversy, he still wrote the songs, and this is his best batch of songs in a long time IMO. Wasn't a top 30 release or anything but I actually like it.

41 Dream Evil - In the Night

Never been a big Dream Evil fan, but even so, I enjoyed this considerably less than their previous work.

44 Freedom Call - Legend of the Shadowking

Meh. I can't believe this band continue to exist and pump out music since I don't know if I know a single person who legitimately likes them.

46 Secret Sphere - Archetype

Holy shit, I totally forgot about this until now. I will have to check it out.

They're boring because it's all been done before. These albums aren't bringing anything new. Worse, the songwriting isn't great.

If you don't like the songwriting that's one thing, and I can totally understand that part because it's entirely subjective. But I think the problem is that like you said most people are expecting something new and different in the power metal genre. I personally feel that if you change the formula then it's no longer power metal. Power metal is supposed to have the certain core elements and I enjoy it because I'm not expecting there to be any variation from that theme.

when it comes to power metal I dont care if they bring something new to the table....I just want it catchy. Nothing worse than a dull power metal disc. While those disc in that list are decent almost none of them are stellar where I would go back years from now and listen to over and over. It was a weak year for the power metal genre.