Recommend a single coil sized humbucker

HackerX

Feb 23, 2006
QLD,Australia
I have myself a Ibanez SA160QM, a fantastic guitar (think RG without jumbo frets, I hate jumbo frets :S) except for the single coils, which suck pretty bad.

I was looking to replace the neck single with a hum. The SD hot rails seem like a popular option, just wanted to get some thoughts/experiences with these or other hums that fit in a single coil position, recommendations etc

Thanks

Dimarzio Fast Track range

HS range

Sounds like you're after a conventional tone from a single sized pickup but can I recommend you look into the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage range?

All depends on what sound you're after. Find some artists whose sound you like and find out what pickups they use. Then try them for yourself.

Malmsteen uses HS-3 (now a custom YJM model) in the bridge position and an HS-2 in the middle and neck. These pickups are actually stacked humbuckers and won't buzz like stock single coils can.

Vai has an Evolution single coil available.

The Fender Lace Sensors are quite good, but you need to pick the right color.

You pretty much need to figure out what you want out of the pickup first - output, tone, muddy, brightness, etc. Then find what pickup best meets your needs.

If I had the choice to make, I'd start with the HS models. But I'm a DiMarzio fan.

THe H-S-S setup is a pain to really get a good balance of tone and output, my Jackson has that and I actually hate it, but I've managed to get a fairly good balance with a super distortion is the bridge and a Fast Track 2 in the neck, which is the hottest single coil 'bucker they make, and it shreds.

The Yngwie pickups (HS-2,3, and YJM) are more of a classic fender pickup, not as much output, but very clear and defined, and glassy, just like a vintage fender SC.

The Lace Sensor pickups are not actual humbuckers, but the way that there designed and wound, they are much quieter than normal single coils.I have used the Red Laces and they have a very unique sound , warm, fat and thick. however, they dont really combine well with other types of pickups.

The Evolution Single coil isnt a great choice because it was really only designed to go along with Evo buckers in Jems, and its also just a normal single coil with a higher output to match the buckers.

theres one other option and thats replacing all the pickups with a EMG set, 81-SA-SA, which is a really sweet set..

I'm not a fan of single coils myself, but I do like the EMG single coils as well as some Seymour Duncans.

When I pick up my practice amp that i've ordered, I'll speak to the guy about ordering a hot rails in black (they had a white one there at the time).

Thanks everybody