Record/CD shops in New Orleans?

modernwizardry

I want stout!
Aug 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
satanshallow.bandcamp.com
I'm gonna be in New Orleans for a trade show in March and was wondering if anyone could recommend any good record stores (if any still exist). I like power, metal, doom, nwobhm, prog, punk, thrash, 70s rock/prog/psych/blues etc.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

I was actually just in New Orleans this past weekend (Exhorder reunion show w/Crowbar and Flesh Parade!!! not to mention Mardi Gras), and my friend took me to a little record store in the quarter. I think it was Skully'z Records. It was really tiny though and carried mostly CD's. I do know it was a block down the street from a bar called Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop.

Duuuuuude, Ratanda, I wanted to go to that show. If anything, to see Crowbar as well. I saw the first Exhorder reunion show last year and it was fucking amazing. How was the show on the 12th????

Resident of New Orleans here. There is a record store called Jim Russells which has TONS of old vinyls, but unfortunately has some of the worst service I have ever seen or heard of. Call before you go to make sure they are even open:

http://www.jimrussellrecords.com/about.html

The mushroom is a good used cd shop (has new stuff too) Parts are pretty unorganized.

http://www.mushroomnola.com

Thats kinda it. Everything else has been sucked up by best buy, even FYE closed a few months ago.

I didnt go to that Exhorder show. They played in December here as well, it was BRUTAL. I am glad they are back.

Duuuuuude, Ratanda, I wanted to go to that show. If anything, to see Crowbar as well. I saw the first Exhorder reunion show last year and it was fucking amazing. How was the show on the 12th????

It was AWESOME!!! All bands were great, but Crowbar to me was phenomenal. So crushingly heavy and still moving. No one could stop talking about the super bowl, including the bands! :) It was great being at a local NOLA metal show. Such a great night.

Also, videos from Crowbar and Exhorder that night are already available online!

Sorry to derail the original thread!

Last edited by a moderator: