Recording, mixing tutorial blog.

MarcMullingar92

New Metal Member
Jan 16, 2011
Sorry in advance if this is against the rules, but there will be alot of tutorial content on this page over time.
Hey guys, for a college assignment I have to write a blog, and thought I'd write a guide to getting started on recording at home.
I'm far from an expert, but an avid hobbyist and think this blog could help out anyone looking to get started.
I'd apreciate some views, follows etc, at the moment I only have one article up, but am looking to post 2-3 a week.
If you notice me leaving anything big out or any stupid errors etc I'd appreciate being told to.
Thanks in advance guys. :)
http://marcmurray.bcfedigitalmedia.com/

I would like to see article dedicated to compression (not what attack, release, NY comp n'stuff does, but more how to work with it). I understand how compressor work but I feel like because of that I can't get full use of it. I hope you can guess what I'm thinking, because it's hard to explain.

I would like to see article dedicated to compression (not what attack, release, NY comp n'stuff does, but more how to work with it). I understand how compressor work but I feel like because of that I can't get full use of it. I hope you can guess what I'm thinking, because it's hard to explain.

No problem! I'll be doing an EQ article tomorow, I'll probably do the basics of compression before the weekend is through though :)

You reminded me that I need to buy studio monitors hahah. I know it's somewhat genre-specific, but I'm trying to record a post-metal (in the vein of Isis, Neurosis, Cult of Luna, Pelican, etc.) song right now and have found it extraordinarily difficult to combine a thick, sludgy wall-of-sound distorted guitar with additional lighter, airier leads and background textures. If you could post something related to mixing really dense music like that it would be awesome.

In your introduction article the part about interfaces is completely wrong.

A DI box is not an audio interface. A microphone cannot connect to a DI box. A DI box cannot provide phantom power to condenser mics.

"alot" is not a word.

In your introduction article the part about interfaces is completely wrong.

A DI box is not an audio interface. A microphone cannot connect to a DI box. A DI box cannot provide phantom power to condenser mics.

"alot" is not a word.

^ lol
The internet is always right.... maybe this will help http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/513601-getting-audiointerface-faq.html

Don't mean to bash you seeing as you are doing a project for school, but the M-Audio Nova is a "condenser mic" not a "compressor mic." Just a tip.

Dude... Just be sure what you are writing... search in google if you are confused with something...
you know the hungry Dogs over here will eat you up raw.. if they find anything unusual...Just saying

Thanks for the criticism guys, its a big help!
Regarding the interface section being wrong, I think I've fixed it but I'm not 100% sure yet, what would you define a Line 6 tone port as?