revisiting Helloween- Pink Bubbles Go Ape

Savage Pumpkin

AKA Mr. Future World
Sep 6, 2008
Skokie, IL
I recently broke the expanded edition out (the second CD has all the b-sides) and was actually pleasantly surprised. It's obviously no Keeper 1 or 2 (or in the ball park) but it has some really good songs. Songs like "Back On The Streets", "The Chance", "Goin' Home", "Someone's Crying" are great songs in my opinion. "Kids Of The Century" and "Mankind" are good also. All the rest is kind of filler. But "Someone's Crying" is by far the best representation of Helloween on this disc. Here are a couple of great tracks.Thoughts?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XMwJXfnPlc&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is actually a very good album with some very good songs. Kids of the Century, Number One, Someones Crying, Mankind and the Chance are all great songs. I think this album gets written off by fans due to some of the weird song names and kooky artwork. A shame really. It deserves a proper listen.

while I hated the album when first released, this is a good album when compared to the tripe that is Chameleon. But still, this is the 2nd worst original studio album released by the band to date. Does not hold a candle to Keeper albums with Kiske, the masterpiece that is Walls of Jericho or any of the Deris albums...

while I hated the album when first released, this is a good album when compared to the tripe that is Chameleon. But still, this is the 2nd worst original studio album released by the band to date. Does not hold a candle to Keeper albums with Kiske, the masterpiece that is Walls of Jericho or any of the Deris albums...

It is funny, but I really like Chameleon a lot more than PBGA. Maybe because I'm a late-comer to Helloween and I don't really have many preconceptions of what Helloween should be.

love this album. Not sure why it ever got the hate that it does.
because it followed the Keeper albums and it was more mellow. Plus it didn;t help that it was not released domestically in the US at the time, so you had to pay higher import prices to get it and it was a huge disappoint compared to the 2 Keeper albums...IMO

It isn't Helloween and it isn't metal. Period.

What? It's totally a "metal" album. Sure, it has a fairly glossy production, but even the "ballad" ('Your Turn') has heavy guitars, it has a bunch of really fast songs, and, a song with "Heavy Metal" in the title!

As for it being "Helloween" or not, the lineup is the closest thing to their short-lived "classic" period (only Kai Hansen was swapped out for Roland Grapow), and even through that "classic" period, they never really hid their odd/bizarre humor: see the intro to "Starlight", "Gorgar", "Future World", "Rise and Fall", "Dr. Stein", etc. So in my mind it's totally a "Helloween" album.

Neil

What? It's totally a "metal" album. Sure, it has a fairly glossy production, but even the "ballad" ('Your Turn') has heavy guitars, it has a bunch of really fast songs, and, a song with "Heavy Metal" in the title!

As for it being "Helloween" or not, the lineup is the closest thing to their short-lived "classic" period (only Kai Hansen was swapped out for Roland Grapow), and even through that "classic" period, they never really hid their odd/bizarre humor: see the intro to "Starlight", "Gorgar", "Future World", "Rise and Fall", "Dr. Stein", etc. So in my mind it's totally a "Helloween" album.

Neil

I tend to agree on all points. The only thing that was weird for me about "Chameleon" and "Pink Bubbles Go Ape" was Michael Weikaths constant bitching and moaning about both and how he hated all of it and this and that. But he wrote alot of those songs AND owned the Helloween name so it didn't make much sense to me. It came across as a child crying because he didn't get his way 100%. If you look at the interviews done with Weiki for the rereleases of those albums he had nothing but praise for them. Curious.

Neil

Sorry, but to me it just sounds like hard rock. Having "Heavy Metal" in the title does not in turn, make it a metal album. Like I said, I don't completely dislike the album, but to me it doesn't sound much like Helloween before or after. That's what I meant. I realize it has all the original members outside of Kai, so in that regard in terms of personnel yes it is. Same goes with the humor, I just meant musically it doesn't really sound like Helloween to me.

Sorry, but to me it just sounds like hard rock.

I counted about 4 songs with double-bass drumming, which, to me is one of the few objective factors that I think is sufficient (but not necessary) for something to be "heavy metal". I'm not much of a "hard rock" aficionado (well, maybe I am and just don't know it!), but do you have other records that make liberal use of double-bass drumming that you'd call "hard rock"?

I also think that the number of songs with double-bass drumming on 'Keeper II' is not a whole lot higher, and that the sonic gulf between 'Walls of Jericho' and 'Keeper I+II' is far wider than the one between 'Keeper I+II' and PBGA.

That's why I said that 'Chameleon' marked the end of the forward-looking half of Helloween's career. If we count 'Keeper I' and 'Keeper II' as one "album", then amongst their first 4 albums ('Helloween/Walls of Jericho', 'Keeper I+II', 'Pink Bubbles Go Ape', and 'Chameleon'), I would say that the 'Keeper I+II'->PBGA transition is actually the *least* jarring of the three transitions. From that perspective, it's hard to justify PBGA as being "not Helloween", since then only one of their first four albums could be called the "true Helloween", and the other three would have to be "not Helloween". Judging by their start, "always changing, moving forward" would be the primary definition of "true Helloween", which then also prevents their later, albums from being "true Helloween", since they're largely backward-looking.

Though, I completely understand that if you're coming in from a later perspective, the 2nd half of their career could create a much more static definition of "Helloween" in your mind, and against that background, PBGA stands out more.

Neil

I counted about 4 songs with double-bass drumming, which, to me is one of the few objective factors that I think is sufficient (but not necessary) for something to be "heavy metal". I'm not much of a "hard rock" aficionado (well, maybe I am and just don't know it!), but do you have other records that make liberal use of double-bass drumming that you'd call "hard rock"?

I also think that the number of songs with double-bass drumming on 'Keeper II' is not a whole lot higher, and that the sonic gulf between 'Walls of Jericho' and 'Keeper I+II' is far wider than the one between 'Keeper I+II' and PBGA.

That's why I said that 'Chameleon' marked the end of the forward-looking half of Helloween's career. If we count 'Keeper I' and 'Keeper II' as one "album", then amongst their first 4 albums ('Helloween/Walls of Jericho', 'Keeper I+II', 'Pink Bubbles Go Ape', and 'Chameleon'), I would say that the 'Keeper I+II'->PBGA transition is actually the *least* jarring of the three transitions. From that perspective, it's hard to justify PBGA as being "not Helloween", since then only one of their first four albums could be called the "true Helloween", and the other three would have to be "not Helloween". Judging by their start, "always changing, moving forward" would be the primary definition of "true Helloween", which then also prevents their later, albums from being "true Helloween", since they're largely backward-looking.

Though, I completely understand that if you're coming in from a later perspective, the 2nd half of their career could create a much more static definition of "Helloween" in your mind, and against that background, PBGA stands out more.

Neil

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here with this one. To me, while I admit they experimented on the two post-Keeper albums moreso, I just found the sound in general to be sort of bland. Nothing really stood out to me as "whoa these are some cool metal tunes!" sort of way. Maybe there is some bass drum in some of the songs, Overall, I just feel that it as well as Chameleon had a much more pop/rock feel to it than the rest of their catalog. I have nothing against bands doing different things, but when it makes them sound like a completely different band, that's pushing it too far.

As for me in terms of where I came in, I listened to the Keeper albums a long time before I even attempted the Deris albums, so like many that's my basis as far as what Helloween are. I think they definitely got back to what made them great when they got him, despite a different vocal delivery than Kiske. I think a lot of their discs do differ from song to song too, especially on Master of the Rings, Time of the Oath and Dark Ride. As for the other Deris albums, I agree for the most part that they don't experiment too much (particularly Better than Raw and Rabbit Don't go Easy), though there were a couple they experimented with in Keeper 3 and Gambling with the Devil.

I also don't get all of the bashing when it comes to "Pink Bubbles Go Ape." Though it sports a more polished production than that of their previous albums and a really strange cover, it sounds like a Helloween album to me. "Kids Of The Century," "Back On The Streets," "Heavy Metal Hamsters," "Someone's Crying," "Mankind," and "The Chance" are power metal tunes in my book. Besides, the whole band shines on this album. It's a shame that many longtime fans of the band don't care for it, and it's especially odd that Michael Weikath can't decide whether or not he likes it.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al