revisiting Metal Church "Blessing in Disguise"

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Well, I am not trying to turn the PPUSA forum into the oldschool forum, but since I mentioned the Tesla release, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't make a post about Metal Church's "Blessing in Disguise." I don't listen to it every day or even once a week, but it never strays too far from my player.
While Metallica was the "king of metal" when this mastery was released, I would put it up against AJFA any day of the week. In fact, I would put it next to just about anything. The production was somewhere between fair and poor, but everything else was top notch.
I was going to talk about a few of my favorite tracks on the disc, but so many are great, I can't really do that. If you like oldschool powermetal/thrash, I think you would have a hard time topping this one.

Bryant

I never cared much for the Howe era Metal Church, to me, Metal Church is all about their first 2 releases with David Wayne......JMHFO, no more, no less...

it needs to be remastered and reissued for sure. i saw them in Philly on the tour for the album with Meliah Rage opening, it was amazing. i love this album. The drums alone in "Rest In Pieces (April 15, 1912)" are sick and taught me all i needed to know about playing drums for a metal band. it has it all.

Well, I am not trying to turn the PPUSA forum into the oldschool forum...
When I saw this thread title, I actually thought to myself, "Is Bryant trying to turn this into the Old School forum?" So it's funny to see you begin your post by stating you're not trying to do that. :lol:

While Metallica was the "king of metal" when this mastery was released, I would put it up against AJFA any day of the week. In fact, I would put it next to just about anything. The production was somewhere between fair and poor, but everything else was top notch.
I revisit this from time to time. Usually because you remind me to. Although I don't think as highly of it as you do, I can see why any old school fan would cherish this release.

Love, love, love that CD!!! It's really hard for me to rate their first 5, but that is close to the top. I'm also a huge fan of The Human Factor and Hanging in the Balance *ducks*. Of course S/T and the Dark are also masterpieces as well. Really, the only MC CD I don't really like is Masterpeace. Never could get into that one.

I also love this album. The whole thing just rocks. Mike Howe is incredible. Actually, I've been struck by how much he sounds like Midnight at times, such as:

- the first two lines of Fake Healer: "I prey upon your morbid fear, of terminal disease"
- lots of lines in Anthem To The Estranged, including "Take an extra moment when you find yourself at ease"

i saw them in Philly on the tour for the album with Meliah Rage opening, it was amazing.

Damn, I'm jealous. I also saw Meliah Rage opening for Metal Church, but in 2007, not 1989. I have a feeling you saw the better show (not that I didn't love mine, but you saw these bands in their heydays). Meliah Rage and Metal Church are a perfect fit, IMO.

This album is so damned epic. When I'm in the mood for drums, I just pop this disc in the car and go for a ride. 'Anthem' and 'Badlands' create a vibe like no other!

I love this album. Over the past month I have listened to it a few times brought on by all the talks about Metal Church with Steve of Seventh Calling. He is more a Wayne fan (and it shows) while I'm really into Howe. So Steve and and I would argue the merits of each. HAHA
Don't get me wrong I enjoy the first two albums but 'Blessing' was over the top.
As for Metallica they mean nothing to me now and didn't then.

Speaking of Metal Church check out the live cover on Seventh Calling's MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/seventhcalling

When I saw this thread title, I actually thought to myself, "Is Bryant trying to turn this into the Old School forum?" So it's funny to see you begin your post by stating you're not trying to do that. :lol:
I revisit this from time to time. Usually because you remind me to. Although I don't think as highly of it as you do, I can see why any old school fan would cherish this release.

Well, I am sure you know of Ivan Pavlov. He did the dog salivation tests ..... conditioned response. I had to start getting people conditioned to the oldschool stuff before I hijacked PPUSA for my Accept posts. :loco:

In all seriousness though, with the internet being such a big part of everyday life and so much music at our fingertips, many of the classics that we all once loved tend to get pushed aside. A few of mine manage to hang around and this is definitely one of them. Not everyone is as old as me though. Many people here may not even be aware of the disc, so who knows..... maybe I turned someone on to it.

Mike Howe :worship:

I also love this album. The whole thing just rocks. Mike Howe is incredible. Actually, I've been struck by how much he sounds like Midnight at times, such as:

- the first two lines of Fake Healer: "I prey upon your morbid fear, of terminal disease"
- lots of lines in Anthem To The Estranged, including "Take an extra moment when you find yourself at ease"

When I first heard Urban Breed, I immediately thought he sounded like a cross between Mike Howe and Ronnie Dio. Without the Howe connection, I may not have immediately been hooked on the Tad Morose.

I think, along with Tony Martin, Mike Howe was one of the most under-appreciated vocalists ever. Mike could blast you out of your chair with power, but also had a very nice melodic voice on the soft stuff. He was one of the all-time greats.

I forgot to multi-quote the other guy talking about the drums, but I have probably done more air drumming to this disc than any other. Kirk Arrington was in the zone when he recorded this. Very few drummers out that much personality in their work as he. "The Spell Can't Be Broken" was another masterpiece of drum work that blows me away.

And JW, you should revisit some of the Howe era stuff. It is good stuff. I anjoy the first two MC releases as well. Not as big on it as Howe era, but still excellent metal.

Bryant

Love, love, love that CD!!! It's really hard for me to rate their first 5, but that is close to the top. I'm also a huge fan of The Human Factor and Hanging in the Balance *ducks*. Of course S/T and the Dark are also masterpieces as well. Really, the only MC CD I don't really like is Masterpeace. Never could get into that one.

This, exactly what I was gonna say!