Rhapsody Of Fire: A new era of film score metal has arrived............or has it?

FatesFan

Dec 18, 2004
toa1.jpg

Okay, I have just spun the new Rhapsody album and here are my thought. Before I begin, let it be known that I am a huge Rhapsody fan.

Rhapsody proclaim that A new era of film score metal has arrived. I can't say that I agree with this as this era sounds just like the last. Rhapsoy does not stray away from the tried and true formula that they have used for all their albums. This is good and bad for me. I love their sound and would hate for them to pull a Queensryche and go south for the sake of "a new mature sound" . Having said that, I am ready for Rhapsody to take "some" risk and show me something new. I could change my mind but I am not blown away by what I hear here but by no means am I saying that I do not like this album. I mean, It's Rhapsody........

Bottom line is, if you don't like Rhapsody, you still won't. If you are a fan, you will like it although it may leave you feeling not 100% satified as it did me. Having said that, there is a small nuget of a shiny spot on "The Mystic Prophecy Of The Demonknight" around the 9 minute - 17 sec mark that shows a side of Rhapsody I have never heard and wished this album had more of. This 16 minute long song is the albums bright spot with again the 9 minute mark burst being the shining spot. Hopefully Rhapsody will explore more of this type of sound in the future. Once you hear it you will know what I am talking about.

Oh, one question though...............what the hell is black geometry?

I still don't get when they recorded this. Seemed like they were on tour, then stopped. Then BAM. We have a new Rhapsody album. The last one took FOREVER to be recorded, and now this one quickly appears with almost no hype.

Will be interesting to hear

Nightmare1z said:
I still don't get when they recorded this. Seemed like they were on tour, then stopped. Then BAM. We have a new Rhapsody album. The last one took FOREVER to be recorded, and now this one quickly appears with almost no hype.

Will be interesting to hear

Not only A Rhapsody release but 2 Luca Turilli solo projects all at about the same time. :worship:

I've had the album for a couple of days (I DIDNT DOWNLOAD IT).

This time they actually used an orchestra and a full choir. You can actually hear the difference. The songwriting has pretty much stayed the same way, with a few additions here and there of new things. I like the album overall, but it still hasn't hit me like "OH SHIT THIS IS FUCKING GREAT!"

FatesFan said:
Rhapsody proclaim that A new era of film score metal has arrived.

Welcome to the new world of metal popularity.

Not only is the marketing full of the same old bullshit hyperbole that it's always had, but now it's directed at all these people that got into metal yesterday.

Maybe if we're lucky these bands will remember they had people buying their albums the day before yesterday, too.

I have an advance copy of it and will be posting a review on Metal Asylum.net soon. Its Rhapsody doing what they do. Nothing different, trying nothing new which is dissapointing. I do like their sound and didnt want them to alter it. But all the arrangements we have heard before. The song Silent Dream is a little different, three minutes long and has an easy to remember chorus. not fast at all just right to the point.
I was hoping for maybe some heavier guitars. Look at Iron Maiden the new album has a heavier guitar sound and some of the songs are not so predictable which I was more than happy to hear. From what I have heard they are not putting out another do it by numbers album. Unfortuantely that didint happen with Rhapsody.

dargormudshark said:
To FatesFan, it has been about 7 albums now, I think, and you just started longing for them to do something different now :err:

I would have welcomed a change on every album. My fav band (Fates Warning) changes on every album(almost every one) and I love it because IMO they change in a good way. It's not that I am just now looking for a change, it's that I feel a change is overdue. Having said that, I would prefer they not change if it means they will change to something that does not agree with me.

I haven't heard it yet, but then again, I bet you that I have! How? Because I have several Rhapsody discs! :lol: I don't have a "Rhapsody of Fire" disc though! :Smug:

Cool artwork though! Luca could've came up with a better title than Triumph or Agony since Warlock has one called Triumph and Agony....oh well.

I consider myself a pretty big Rhapsody fan... despite them not having a good album in four years. The first four albums all ROCK! The last offering in '04, Secret of Enchanted Lands Part II, was entirely forgettable. I've had it for two years... and simply can't get into it. The magic is gone. The orchestration sounds more like a background to generic riffs and melodyless vocal lines. For some reason, a lot of people disagree with me and say either "it's more of the same boring crap" or "I love it, it continue with Rhapsody's greatness." Neither statement is true.

What I'm trying to find out is if this is a step away from the The Secret of Enchanted Lands Part II, which I consider very different (in a bad way). Can someone who has heard the new Rhapsody and perhaps shares my opinion of the dramatic step down from albums 1-4 (all roughly equal in quality) to 5 comment?

The Michael

Michael TEOF said:
I consider myself a pretty big Rhapsody fan... despite them not having a good album in four years. The first four albums all ROCK! The last offering in '04, Secret of Enchanted Lands Part II, was entirely forgettable. I've had it for two years... and simply can't get into it. The magic is gone. The orchestration sounds more like a background to generic riffs and melodyless vocal lines. For some reason, a lot of people disagree with me and say either "it's more of the same boring crap" or "I love it, it continue with Rhapsody's greatness." Neither statement is true.

What I'm trying to find out is if this is a step away from the The Secret of Enchanted Lands Part II, which I consider very different (in a bad way). Can someone who has heard the new Rhapsody and perhaps shares my opinion of the dramatic step down from albums 1-4 (all roughly equal in quality) to 5 comment?

The Michael

Actually, I totally agree with you, because the music sounds pretty bland on their last effort compared to Part I or Dawn of Victory. The melodies simply don't exist from what I can tell. They put on a helluva live show though! :worship:

The latest Rhapsody is actually a step back from the previous album. The music and the overall sound are not nearly as bombastic as Symphony pt. 2, infact quite a few of the songs are much more reminescent of Symphony pt. 1. On average the songs on Triumph or Agony are shorter, more riff based, and have much less of a "film score" sound to them. Personally I already like the album much more than Symphony pt. 2 based on around a dozen listens or so. Make no mistake folks, this is Rhapsody through and through. Im not against progression or experimentation but honestly Im happy with Rhapsody making music in the same vein that we're all acustomed to.

LMAO @ Black Geometry.

Well, I have to say that I know exactly what you're talking about. A side that Rhapsody has never exposed before, it's more on the brutal style (vocally). He is a great vocalist. :rolleyes:

However, I really like the album, but I don't like that there are two songs that have the exact melodies of "Village of Dwarves" (Dawn of Victory). And I'm not sure if I like or dislike the fact that some symphonic parts were used, taken straight from Symphony of Enchanted Lands II. I know why they were and that's because the storyline continues from their last album, on 'Triumph or Agony'.

The album itself is good, overall. It's true, it's "Rhapsody". Another Rhapsody album, but really, I don't think you should take what they self proclaim seriously, they've been saying things like that since 'Legendary Tales' album. :lol:

I think a lot of bands copy this style, so it makes Rhapsody less and less, when there is so much on the market that sounds just like that. I do agree with you, FatesFan, that song that was a little more diverse, would probably have helped if they had used it more. But maybe if they are just playing with ideas to see how the fans will react. I have to listen and compare their last two albums, I really like Symphony II but at the same time I didn't want the same album again for this, and I think it's not exactly the same, it reminded me of a lot of the older stuff.

I knew there wouldn't be much of a stray from any of their previous albums. Name change or not, we all know who Rhapsody is and what they are all about. I'm sure I'll love it. I'm a little weary after reading about re-hashed parts of older albums apparent on this one, but I guess that goes along with the constant story that is each Rhapsody album. It probably also goes along with "the new era" hype, for those who have never heard Rhapsody can familiarize themselves with this album and then go back and understand the story as it comes full circle. Or maybe it is because of the whole 3 seperate records in little to no time. Eh. When you basically tell the same story on every one of your records it's hard not to see parallels 7 some albums later. All I ask is for Rhapsody of Fire to come back to America soon... And that this latest masterpiece becomes mind sooner than later, haha! Cheers!!

Yeah, they have two songs with the very similar melody of Village...
And for sure they have a part of Symphony II, but for sure it's because it's ending that saga from Symphony II. The next album a new saga will begin.
This is why I'm not sure if I like or dislike it, I know it's there for a reason, but I'm not sure if I would have prefered something different. I can say the fact that it reminds me of earlier Rhapsody is really good.
When you hear the song FatesFan and I mention, on it's diversity, you'll know quick, and I'm sure you'll love it. It's towards the end, like I said, maybe it can be a chance they're taking to see what fans would think. :)

Here is how I think the conversation went when they were trying to come up with a new name:

Luca: Well, it can't be too different from Rhapsody
Fabio: I got it!
Luca: What?
Fabio: Rhapsody...
Luca: That's already the name orc brains!
Fabio: OF FIRE!!!
Luca: OH SHIT!!!! :worship:

Well, I heard some of this so far, and yes it's typical Rhapsody. FatesFan told me to go where in the song that him and Empress is referring to. Actually, it song #10 around the 9 minute mark. Anyway, I mostly liked what I heard with the exception of the vocals by Fabio. I'm not too crazy about that, but I do like the choir usage alot!