Richard Christy is Leaving Iced Earth

markgugs said:
The better part of that news report is Jon's comments about that moron at BW&BK who antagonized Jon regarding 9-11.

"Antagonized" may be a tad of an overstatement...

David Perri's take on the question-- as it 'went down', per the journalist (taken from the Braveboard):"jon, this next question is controversial so i'm letting you know before we proceed. some political analysts have articulated the view that what happened on september 11 was justified due to america's presence in the middle east, specifically saudi arabia. some political analysts view it as retaliation for what the US has done in the middle east in the past. as a canadian, i'm interested in hearing what you have to say about this view that's been put forth by analysts."

First of all I think Bobby Jarzombek is a fine replacement for Richard Christy!!! I have been a follower of Bobbys since Riots album "Thundersteel" and own all the albums he's done with Halford, Riot, and Juggernaut. I think he is amazing and will hopefully increase Iced Earths exposure.
Pertaining to the above post. I think Schaffer was right in doing what he did. If thats truly what the journalist said and BW&BK is trying to tell us their half of the story, thats great!! But they are still wrong for not printing what was said. Instead you get a summary that in no way coincides with what was actually said and makes Schaffer look like an asshole. I thought he was an asshole until I heard his side. I am a BW&BK subscriber and will continue to be. It doesn't mean I don't think that journalist is not a dick (HE IS!!). But I also think he should come up out and FULLY explain his side so we know the whole story.

You're right, I don't know the guy, so moron is uncalled for. I have no doubt that it was in poor taste though and without a doubt shitty journalism.

I have spent a decent amount of time with Jon though, so I'm going to tend to believe the way he says it went down.

I'm going to have to agree with Markgugs here as well. I think that Jon's side is the way it went down and that man doesnt bullshit. When me and my friend were riding in his truck (my friends not Jon's) with Jon in Austin (what tell me more! www.metalreviews.com go to reviews) he was as straightforward and honsest about many issues as anyone can be. I agree with his statements that journalists have a standard of ethics to adhere to which is why Im skeptical of interviews in A. a "story" format instead of question and answer and B. heavily editied interviews. The only editing I have done to any interview I have conducted is minor grammatical errors for non native English speakers like Secret Sphere. If I come up with questions off the top of my head due to the interviewee talking fast or just saying short answers, I go back and instead of "uh uh uh uh I heard that..." I'll say "Are there still plans for...." so I dont look like a dumb ass but I have NEVER EVER changed around the message or specific way the question is asked to provoke an artist or create sensationalism. Fuck that. I mean, I could be a bitch and I could print the conversation that went on in the truck because alot of cool stuff was talked about but Im not because Im not an asshole and I didnt tell him that I was gonna use this as an interview or tell him that this was a psuedo interview. Sometimes some journalists just lose sight of their real job which is getting information to their fans and not creating sensational news for their mag or whatever.

Ben

damn right.

That is why metalreviews kicks so much ass. I just read your "live review" yesterday. It was great, and the funny thing is, is i think he was wearing one of those black tanktops in atlanta, haha. You helped contribute to the whole tour, haha.

Brent

zekeyou said:
"Antagonized" may be a tad of an overstatement...
I'll respectfully disagree.

Maybe people from different parts of the world, or even different parts of the U.S. have a different slant on things. However, as someone who was born and raised in N.J. and has friends and family (including my wife) who work in Manhattan, to even suggest that the intentional murder of unarmed civilians is "justified" is so completely asinine, that it deserves almost any response it elicits.

Zod

I'ma agree with the good General.

You intentionally kill civilians, cuz you got a point to prove? You deserve to die. Fuck ya. You don't even deserve a trial for that. You should just be whacked, mob style.

But we're America. And we got Laws. And we abide by those laws. And terrorists will die by our laws.

I still quit heavy metal, though... I'ma go start me up a stand-up comedy career.

Fuckin Christy.... I'ma find him and slap his nuts till he sits back on a drum seat.... fuckin Benedict Arnold of Metal. Okay so that really doesn't make much sense but it's late and I'm tired and I need another beer. The first part up there makes perfect sense though.

Bryan316 said:
Fuckin Christy.... I'ma find him and slap his nuts till he sits back on a drum seat.... fuckin Benedict Arnold of Metal. Okay so that really doesn't make much sense but it's late and I'm tired and I need another beer. QUOTE]

Wow, pretty upset about this huh? Were you as upset when Barlow left...to "study" and work on a degree? I mean, honestly I'm not a big Iced Earth fan but I respect them. I was just wondering why the backlash on Christy - who at least is persuing something in the entertainment field - and not Barlow who completely left metal ALL together. :Spin: I don't really have a problem with either, but I'd like to hear your take.

This is why you hear so many people say they were taken out of context. A reporter or writer, with a personal agenda, can take a quote and use it in a way that completely changes the context of said quote. If Jon feels he was misrepresented by that writer, and his selective use of Jon's words, then he has every right to protect his integrity. From the things I've read from Jon about the whole situation, it seems he feels he was set up. Good for him for standing up for what he believes.

I am really tired of people looking under every stone to find those responsible for 9/11. The ones responsible were behind the controls, as the planes slammed into the buildings.

General Zod said:
I'll respectfully disagree.

Maybe people from different parts of the world, or even different parts of the U.S. have a different slant on things. However, as someone who was born and raised in N.J. and has friends and family (including my wife) who work in Manhattan, to even suggest that the intentional murder of unarmed civilians is "justified" is so completely asinine, that it deserves almost any response it elicits.

Zod

Man, I've read the interview 3 or 4 times, as well as Schaeffer's additional comments about it as well as Perri's(the BWBK writer) and am still trying see Schaffer's sudden disdain for the article. From what I've read, Schaffer was also aware that politics were going to be discussed prior to the interview, and Schaffer agreed as long as he could skip questions at will.

Iced Earth managed to play their two Canadian dates some 2 months after the article was printed, yet didn't come out against the article until a week after they'd completed the shows...

markgugs said:
The better part of that news report is Jon's comments about that moron at BW&BK who antagonized Jon regarding 9-11.
Indeed - I would have punched that damn canuck's face in if I had been Jon. And then they have the gall to type up that piece of editorial bullshit before the interview in print, its disgusting. Not that I ever di dmuch before, but I wouldn't waste a penny now on BWBK.

A friend of our family was on one of the planes that went down on 9/11, and my Father just returned from serving in Iraq. I could go into the hows and whys of the islamic terrorist threat - but why?! We all know it 10 times over, and no we are not going to turn our backs on Israel, and rather than blame ourselves for helping middle easterners defend their freedom against the soviets we should be blaming them for pissing on our backs and telling us its raining - for taking our hand in friendship before stabbing us in the backs. Its the most ghastly and horrible act of violence, and the fact that this asshole comes out at Schaffer and asks "Don't you think America deserved 9/11?" is indefensible. Period.

Heavenly...

Wow, pretty upset about this huh? Were you as upset when Barlow left...to "study" and work on a degree? I mean, honestly I'm not a big Iced Earth fan but I respect them. I was just wondering why the backlash on Christy - who at least is persuing something in the entertainment field - and not Barlow who completely left metal ALL together. I don't really have a problem with either, but I'd like to hear your take.

CUZ THEY WERE SO DAMNED GOOD!!! Barlow's got THE voice of heavy fuckin metal. Now, while I've got a shiteload of favorite singers, I give Barlow an extra credit for being able to bark out Violate, and then scream the ending of A Question Of Heaven, all in one setlist! That takes a voice made of steel!

Christy, cuz the man's a phenom behind the drums. Bizzarre what he can do with sticks and pedals!!! And to pursue a career with HOWARD of all goons? Sorry... Howard's show is funny, but he's not. I would not work for Howard. Yeah, the pay's prolly good and consistent, but man... passion. Passion for music.

Barlow left cuz he had a calling to serve his country. While I respect that, I still wish he didn't. At least it's not like losing Randy or Cliff, where we'd never even get a chance to hear from them again. If Barlow wanted to start screaming again 10 years from now or something, it's at least possible. But when someone who inspires you to be a singer goes and retires from the game? Sheeeeit. I really mean it.... Bruce Dickinson, James LaBrie, Matt Barlow, and Tobias Sammet are the four guys who inspire me to be a better singer and to be more inventive and creative and exploratory in my little garage band. Hell, if we could find a bass player around here who would want to play this kind of stuff, I'd give up bass like Tobias did and sing full time! That way, I wouldn't be so-so on either singing or bass.. I'd be good on one of em! I just can't scream Babylon and still make my fingers work. Sorry.

Whoah... that was a fuckin tangent, wasn't it?

Um... yeah.... Christy...

To quote Stone Cold, "He pisses me off." :D But he's still doing something he loves and is good at. So even though I'm pissed, I'll just have to see how damn funny he can be as a comedian!

Wandrail said:
Indeed - I would have punched that damn canuck's face in if I had been Jon. And then they have the gall to type up that piece of editorial bullshit before the interview in print, its disgusting. Not that I ever di dmuch before, but I wouldn't waste a penny now on BWBK.

A friend of our family was on one of the planes that went down on 9/11, and my Father just returned from serving in Iraq. I could go into the hows and whys of the islamic terrorist threat - but why?! We all know it 10 times over, and no we are not going to turn our backs on Israel, and rather than blame ourselves for helping middle easterners defend their freedom against the soviets we should be blaming them for pissing on our backs and telling us its raining - for taking our hand in friendship before stabbing us in the backs. Its the most ghastly and horrible act of violence, and the fact that this asshole comes out at Schaffer and asks "Don't you think America deserved 9/11?" is indefensible. Period.

"deserved" is certainly not the right term, as no one deserves this stupidity, but it is hard for a great part of the international community to "feel bad" for the americans.
In the 1960's, Brazilian President Joao Goulart was reported as a possible communist and/or totalitariam leader...A week after the accusations were made, the Government was overthrown by the military with reported support from the US (it is a FACT)... 20 years of military dictatorship followed, the darkest in recent Brazilian history... During those 20 years Death Squads were implemented to execute anyone who opposed the Government in any way... All that with direct american command...

Democracy? Freedom? Yeah right... Brazil didn't have either for over 2 decades.
But what really matters is that the evil communists didn't take over... LOL

Don't get me the wrong way. I am no anti-american by no means.. I live in South Florida, all my co-workers are americans, I pay my taxes, I go to college here, I've had american girlfriends... But US foreign policies in the second half of the 20th century are REALLY hard to swallow...

I recommend the book Killing Hope, by ex-CIA agent William Blum... You will be blown away by the amount of atrocities commited by the US...

OK well I spoke with Richard monday in San Franicsco at the show and while he is quitting Iced Earth he is still in his new band Leash Law with Wade Black, for the time being anyways. Christy is to metal in my opinion to quit music all together, he'll still be around!

Bear

Angrafan said:
"deserved" is certainly not the right term, as no one deserves this stupidity, but it is hard for a great part of the international community to "feel bad" for the americans.
Yeah, it is real hard to "feel bad" for 3,000 innocent civilians who did nothing more than go to work, or board an airplane to go on vacation, see family or make a business trip and were slaughtered.

TheWhisper said:
Yeah, it is real hard to "feel bad" for 3,000 innocent civilians who did nothing more than go to work, or board an airplane to go on vacation, see family or make a business trip and were slaughtered.

I guarantee you well over 3000 innocents were slaughtered just because they opposed the government.. Anything was a reason to be considered a Communist.. Any form of reunions, any expression of a lefitist way of thinking, etc.. All the intellectuals and artists who were "liberal" were exiled! An entire generation of artists exiled...
Of course that on that morning of september 11 I was horrified.. By no means, no one deserves this...
But there is a feeling of "revenge" among all nations exploited by the US during all these years.. There is no doubt about it... Of couse everyone feels sorry for the families of the victms, but what about OUR families?
If a murderer killed one of your relatives, would you feel bad about one of HIS relatives being murdered? Just think about it...

Well, whatever... It's about the music, not politics.. I've expressed my opinion.. And don't get me wrong... I don't support terrorism of any form (as I don't support the war in Iraq) .... I just want you to understand the context behing the question, as it it totally understandable that a person of another country to feel that way towards the Terrorism Attacks...