Roy Khan

Batguy21784

Feb 8, 2009
Hey, Theocracy Friends,

While waiting impatiently for Theocracy III to release, I've been listening to tons of prog/power metal, lately much Kamelot stuff. Out of curiosity, I googled Roy Khan b/c I remembered reading he had suffered from depression or burn out or something.

Well, I guess I've been in a cave, because I discovered that Roy left Kamelot! I was like Kerrrrrrrraaaaaapppppp!!!

But then, I read in Khan's own words that after all he'd been through with the burn out, "God was there all along..."

My heart freakin soared! Anyone know anything about this? Is the man a believer now? Maybe he's always been?

Anyone have any insights?

o_O

Some of his lyrics while he was in Conception in the mid 90s would lead me to believe he has not always been a believer (e.g. the song My Decision off of Parallel Minds). But that's just a guess on my part.

Can't say that I know much about Kamelot. I remember listening to The Black Halo a few years ago, and it was pretty good. I should give them another shot one of these days.

The Khan thing intrigues me. I looked around a bit, and although Kamelot's guitarist says there was a "religious aspect" to the departure, I didn't find anything firm as to what that religion might be.

I've been a huge Kamelot fan since The Black Halo. This thread has basically covered what's publicly available: when he disappeared, first it was because he was sick. Then burnout. Then "he found God". That's about all that's been said. I don't think Khan has addressed it beyond the line quoted by OP.

Fabio Lione of Rhapsody is filling in on the current tour. I saw them a month ago and Fabio did an *amazing* job. Really top notch. If he became the permanent replacement, Kamelot would soldier on quite nicely. :headbang:

Yea I was a fan of KAmelot since Khan joined BH was a high point though. But then remember, the guitarist for Deicide is Catholic, doesn't stop him from doing his job. lol

But then remember, the guitarist for Deicide is Catholic, doesn't stop him from doing his job. lol

Perhaps Khan is actually living an authentic faith life. It wouldn't be hard for one to conclude that the guy from Deicide certainly is not. That could easily explain the difference between the two.

Last edited:
Perhpas Khan is actually living an authentic faith life. It wouldn't be hard for one to conclude that the guy from Deicide certainly is not. That could easily explain the difference between the two.

Yes, however a job is a job. Because Khan suddenly became incredibly superstitious does not in anyway mean he must quit his job.

On the reverse Khan doesn't really believe, and he's simply substituting "god" for a number of insecurities, as is the case with most religious people. Prehaps the man from Deicide's faith is strong enough to do his job, and soldier on.

You love provoking people, don't you?

I seriously doubt being a musician for Deicide is the guy's full-time job. And I seriously doubt he's Christian or Catholic considering the band's lyrical content.

You love provoking people, don't you?

I seriously doubt being a musician for Deicide is the guy's full-time job. And I seriously doubt he's Christian or Catholic considering the band's lyrical content.

I don't see it as provoking, simply providing the opposite view point, if you're offended that's not my goal, but sometimes it's not hard at all to offend. You can doubt all you want, but at the end of the day it is what it is, the man says he has faith and that's that. There's no punch card, etc for this, else we fall into "no true Scottsman" fallacy again.

If I had come here in my 20s (and somehow felt the need to walk into other people's homes and drop bombs just to stir up a reaction), I would have likely said the same things as you, so I understand the "opposite view point" quite well. I was an atheist for many, many years, so I know where you're coming from, as well the worldly things you are most likely substituting for your insecurities (hey, you brought it up; we can all see in your postings how you are filling that void, and I was once there, too).

You really can't understand an argument made from a faith perspective, so I see no point in arguing (which is why, until now, I have never replied to you).

I hope that someday you will see why a person might give up their job for their faith, and the incredible power and goodness that lies behind that. Until then, good luck on your journey.

Woah back the truck up, Ralph Santolla is indeed a very religious man, and even though he plays in Deicide it doesn't mean he's not a practicing one. Read the interviews, the fans wanted him out, every true Deicide fan hates him, and he even got into arguments and got hate mail from all sorts of people.

He's a good guitarist, but let's not just judge him by that, just like Tom Araya with slayer, he plays a big role (or has played, he was only partially in Deicide, I don't know what's his status now) and doesn't let it affect his lifestyle.

Look at Rocky Gray (of Soul Embraced and Evanescence), he had his share of shitty bands which dealt with shady topics such as gore, look it up.

Honestly I don't know what's been going on through their minds but I don't think Santolla is turning Satanic or anything like that, he isn't neglecting his faith, if he had been there wouldn't have been this much hype over him playing in Deicide.

Speaking of which:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aletheus, thanks for the info. I pay no attention to Deicide and bands of that ilk, so I was just speculating. As a Catholic myself, I was interested to see how a faithful Catholic could reconcile such opposing things, so I did spend some time reading and listening to interviews. I am not sure what to believe.

Glen Benton doesn't seem to think he's a Christian: "Oh the whole 'I am a Christian thing' with him is total bull*#@$...the guy just uses that *#@$ to upset myself and the fans...don't buy it, the guy couldn't tell ya the last time he went to church...". I realize that doesn't make it true (bandmembers say a lot of bad and false things about each other after a breakup).

If you have a specific interview in mind that touches on how he reconciles that, I'd be interested to see it.

If I had come here in my 20s (and somehow felt the need to walk into other people's homes and drop bombs just to stir up a reaction), I would have likely said the same things as you, so I understand the "opposite view point" quite well. I was an atheist for many, many years, so I know where you're coming from, as well the worldly things you are most likely substituting for your insecurities (hey, you brought it up; we can all see in your postings how you are filling that void, and I was once there, too).

You really can't understand an argument made from a faith perspective, so I see no point in arguing (which is why, until now, I have never replied to you).

I hope that someday you will see why a person might give up their job for their faith, and the incredible power and goodness that lies behind that. Until then, good luck on your journey.

Now you're simply self projecting, you caught me pointing out a crutch and tried to hand me your crutch, no thank you, you keep it. lol

I can understand them just fine, you simply don't like that I don't accept them, it makes you hostile. P.s. my journey is, was, and will be fine without the use of such crutches. I expect this sort of hostility though, believe me I Do.

Im only 15....and girl, your views sadden me. How can you reject something that is so loving, so forgiving, and turn instead to the darkness of the world?