Russell Allen

Originally posted by chibitotoro
But what I'm wondering, is how are opinions like assholes? They're....usually ugly? They're....usually full of crap? Please elaborate, I'm dying to know!

Opinions are like assholes because...everyone's got one. :)

Originally posted by Strigoi
That's harsh. Fat guitar players the world over are probably taking their Michael Romeo posters down now...:(

Damn - I'm not fat, and I'm tearing down my posters! :lol: Ok just kidding - everyone relax.

Although you have to admit, the SyX mugshots in the V album make them look like a younger version of Iron Maiden. Take that as you may.... :cool:

Symphony X are a really talented band. I have noticed some similarities to Dream Theater in the past, but I think it's only in tribute. Someone told me that Michael Romeo is a big Dream Theater fan and I guess thats where his influinces are coming from. I heard "Accolade 2" and think its really good, I am looking forward to buying the album when it comes out. Can't wait to see them play along with Blind Guardian in NY and NJ!!!

Originally posted by Wishmaster
Don't worry, Tess. I'm right there with you. :)

--Mike

Okay good! I was beginning to wonder about this place -- Shit! hehehe...

and ProgMetalFan
Thanks -- I was thinking along the same lines -- I just couldn't think of a "nice" way to put it! lol...

Originally posted by Stormer
Symphony X are a really talented band. I have noticed some similarities to Dream Theater in the past, but I think it's only in tribute. Someone told me that Michael Romeo is a big Dream Theater fan and I guess thats where his influinces are coming from.

I've noticed the similarities as well. I am really liking the clips I have of the new album. To me, it sounds like they took the best aspects of Divine Wings and V and blended them together. I can't wait to have the disc itself. :)

--Mike

Zero Hour does not even come close to Symphony X. I like Zero Hour, but saying Zero Hour is better than SYmphony X is like saying that the Denver Nuggets are better than the Lakers.
Michael Romeo is much, much better than Yngwie. They both play fast solos, but Michael has much better riffs and writes much better music. I respect Yngwie because he started a whole new way of playing guitar back in the day, but now he is just repeating himself ove and over.

Originally posted by alexofbodom

Michael Romeo is much, much better than Yngwie. They both play fast solos, but Michael has much better riffs and writes much better music. I respect Yngwie because he started a whole new way of playing guitar back in the day, but now he is just repeating himself ove and over.

True - although Yngwie has this knack of creating a real sparkle here or there. For the most part, it is obligatory wanking on the fretboard I agree, but just sometimes he makes the dot connect....he's relentless.

Michael Romeo is a guitar virtuouso. I'd prefer he put just a little more 'emotion' into his lead solos, but for the most part, he could be one of the best. He has the technicality of a Petrucci or Malmsteen, but he hasn't quite reached the emotional level of a soloist like, say, Marty Friedman.

In Cacophony, Megadeth, or solo albums?

Well Cacophany and Megadeth always had other guitarists (Becker and Mustaine) that brought out the best of Friedman - that's why I refer to him as a 'soloist' (not known for being a riffmeister like Romeo).

Rust In Peace, for example, has probably yet to be surpassed from a solo'ist standpoint. It definitely holds a chapter in the guitarists bible. (Some of his finest moments are captured on Hidden Treasures by the way - especially Go to Hell).

Now for his solo stuff, heh heh....well, I think Dragons Kiss is great, but his magnum opus in my opinion is Scenes. The mesh with the Japanese themes is both mellow and kick-ass simultaneously. Man, the way the guy bends those strings into oblivion....I think he rules as you can tell. :)

not denying that he's good, but as i understand it he was a big part of the rather unfortunate direction one could hear megadeth steering off into starting vaguely around Youthanasia and ending up extremely pronouncedly on Risk...

Ryan

Originally posted by Se7enChurches
not denying that he's good, but as i understand it he was a big part of the rather unfortunate direction one could hear megadeth steering off into starting vaguely around Youthanasia and ending up extremely pronouncedly on Risk...

Ryan

All I said was that he was a great guitar player (even down to making it clear that he was a great lead player specifically). I never said anything about his song writing - even though Dave Mustaine wrote and played 90% of the guitar pieces for Megadeth.

Either way, Marty Friedman is a guitar virtuoso. An absolute genius at what he does.

How about Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom? I think he is just awsome, and he is still so young. He was 16 or 17 when they released Something Wild, and he was laready shredding his guitar! I just love his style. It is so melodic.

There's nothing special about Marty Friedman. You don't think Mustaine could have played the solos just as well? Dave was the man behind Megadeth. The reason for Marty's leaving, if I remember correctly, was because Dave resented the direction the band was taking because of him. Rust in Peace IS awesome, but not because of Friedman's playing of guitar solos. Any skilled guitarist can play them. It is awesome because of the songwriting, written by Mustaine. Friedman can go to hell.

How about Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom? I think he is just awsome, and he is still so young. He was 16 or 17 when they released Something Wild, and he was laready shredding his guitar! I just love his style. It is so melodic.

I really like Follow The Reaper - that's all the CoB I have unfortunatley. For my tastes, they are a little too keyboard-centric but that's not to say they're not a talented bunch. There's also an ongoing debate as to where CoB should be categorized - are they power? Are they melodic-death? I guess that makes them cool.

Originally posted by Saruman
There's nothing special about Marty Friedman. You don't think Mustaine could have played the solos just as well? Dave was the man behind Megadeth. The reason for Marty's leaving, if I remember correctly, was because Dave resented the direction the band was taking because of him. Rust in Peace IS awesome, but not because of Friedman's playing of guitar solos. Any skilled guitarist can play them. It is awesome because of the songwriting, written by Mustaine. Friedman can go to hell.

Dude, does this kind of stuff keep you up at night? OK so you don't rate Marty Friedman as a guitarist - many others (mostly guitar players) would tend to disagree. It's all opinion.

Easy now.