RYM thread

i used to get temp banned from RYM all the time for being overly active and botlike but they've cooled down on me this last couple of years, hasn't happened for ages. used to annoy the shit out of me.

I calculated my average album rating for particular artists (not counting live/covers albums/EPs and other random shit).

These bands are killing it, but none of them released more than 3-4 albums:

4.50 Exordium Mors, Wax Chattels (not listing the three 1 album wonders)
4.33 Eagle Twin
4.25 Malachi, The Wreckery, Wall of Silents
4.17 Creeping, Plastic Gods, The House of Capricorn
4.13 Headless Chickens

At the other end, these are the artists I count as all-time favourites despite runs of material I don't care for:

3.13 Megadeth
3.11 Black Sabbath
3.09 Björk
3.04 Candlemass
3.00 Diamond Head
2.41 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds 😬

Last edited:

Looked up this list because I wanted to see how high "Starless" ranked with its 4.72 rating (it's #24). Honestly a better selection than expected from RYM, expected more Kendrick Lamar and shit like that. I love that the community recognizes Stickerbrush Symphony as one of the best songs of all time.

In a just world "Cowboy Dan" would at least be top 100 :(

i'd take kendrick over a lot of this stuff tbh, but yeah i think the chart is more interesting/less canonical because of the lack of weighting mostly.

that said, half these songs in the top 100 aren't even close to being the best by their band imo.

i used to have access to the track chart itself, it was part of the sonemic beta, i wonder if that'd still accessible somehow. i'd like to see a list of the top metal tracks without trawling through this

bell curve.png

Bell curve on fleek

I need to have another go at using 3.5 more sometime, but it reflects how I feel about the music I listen to quite well. The main stuff I haven't rated yet is another 218 tracks I kept from the drone band Bull of Heaven. Only 228 hours' worth of repetitive sounds so that'll be fun!

i used to have access to the track chart itself, it was part of the sonemic beta, i wonder if that'd still accessible somehow. i'd like to see a list of the top metal tracks without trawling through this
Looks like someone did this for you here.

ah nice. dubious list but pretty interesting even so. might check out some of the ones with less ratings (and then mercilessly downrate them when they suck)