Sales Numbers for Albums?

dtguitarfan

Prog Lover
Oct 1, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
So there is a debate going on in another forum I'm on - people over there seem to think that Prog Metal is not all that big of a character in the Prog world. I think they have no idea what they're talking about, but I have no idea how to prove it with sales numbers - does anyone know how you'd look up such a thing? I mean, duh, of course Dream Theater is outselling most other Prog bands these days, but what about other bands in the Prog category? How would I find sales numbers?

Unless you consider bands like Opeth, Mastodon, Coheed and Cambria, et al prog metal, prog in general doesn't really lend itself to sales. If your definition of prog metal is just Darkwater, Seventh Wonder, and bands of that ilk, forget it. Sales are negligible in the grand scheme of things - at least over here, those bands have never even landed on the bilboard heatseekers charts for metal/hard rock. However unless you're one of the big boys (Rush, Yes, etc) the same is said for prog rock too.

Yeah, but neither is any other Prog sub-genre as far as sales go. That's my point. My question is, and I have no idea how to find an answer to this: how is Prog Metal doing in comparison to other prog sub-genres?

I don't see anywhere that I used that phrase...but all I'm trying to do is figure out how Prog Metal is doing in comparison to other prog sub-genres.

Fair enough, so I'll give you my opinion:

Prog Metal is doing just as well as the other "prog subgenres". Which means not well at all.

Now, does it really matter who sells more, or is it just a matter of curiosity?

It's more curiosity than anything but I have a theory that as far as PROG goes, Prog Metal is king and it would be nice if I could prove it. Unfortunately all I have to go on is gut feeling and hearsay right now.

I guess it really all gets down to what you define as 'prog' and who factors into this equation. Because prog-metal just can't compete with the likes of Tool, The Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, Porcupine Tree, Dredg, heck I've even seen Muse called prog rock.....

I guess it really all gets down to what you define as 'prog' and who factors into this equation. Because prog-metal just can't compete with the likes of Tool, The Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, Porcupine Tree, Dredg, heck I've even seen Muse called prog rock.....
Ok, but as far as categorization into sub-genres goes, some of those names would go into the Prog-Metal category as far as this crowd goes: Tool, Opeth, Coheed and Cambria. Context: this is on progarchives.com where many of the forum trolls are of the opinion that Prog Metal is not a legitimate sub-genre at all. Stupid and ignorant though that may be. And, apparently they also think besides DT the sub-genre pulls in piddly little nothing sales numbers compared to the other sub-genres on their site. I say they're full of s***, in more ways than one. But I'd like to back this up with cold, hard facts.

Here's some numbers (first week sales in the US) if you must, just out of curiosity. And yes, I know the difference in the popularity of each of these bands:

Rush - Clockwork Angels: 103,000
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events: 36,000
Fates Warning - FWX: 2,067
Symphony X - Iconoclast: 6,500
Redemption - This Mortal Coil: 1,100
Opeth - Heritage: 19,000

Here's some numbers (first week sales in the US) if you must, just out of curiosity. And yes, I know the difference in the popularity of each of these bands:

Rush - Clockwork Angels: 103,000
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events: 36,000
Fates Warning - FWX: 2,067
Symphony X - Iconoclast: 6,500
Redemption - This Mortal Coil: 1,100
Opeth - Heritage: 19,000

Nightwish - Imaginareum: 12,370

Yes, but I was talking Prog Rock/Metal only. Otherwise I could have included some very underwhelming metal numbers such as Sonata Arctica, Sabaton, etc...

Understand totally, just had to throw that in there. And No I am not their publicist

Understand totally, just had to throw that in there. And No I am not their publicist

Gotcha! I was wondering how that number would help in the discussion, but if it was just so you can show people how well your favorite band sells, then it's totally fine. I wish I could do the same, but my favorite band doesn't sell that well these days... :lol: