Satriani sues Coldplay

mattt

Yes.
Feb 4, 2002

Guitarist Satriani sues Coldplay
Grammy nominees Coldplay have been sued by rock guitarist Joe Satriani, who claims the band's song Viva La Vida uses one of his riffs.
In court papers filed in Los Angeles on Thursday, he said the song used "substantial original portions" of his 2004 instrumental If I Could Fly.
Satriani, 52, wants a jury trial and is seeking damages and "any and all profits" for the alleged plagiarism.
Coldplay are shortlisted for seven Grammys, including song of the year.
Viva La Vida is credited to the band's four members - singer Chris Martin, bass player Guy Berryman, guitarist Johnny Buckland and drummer Will Champion.
The song's title was inspired by Mexican artist Frida Kahlo.
It appeared on the album Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends - which was released in June and went to number one in 36 countries - and was also one of their hit singles.
Satriani's track appears on his album Is There Love in Space?

also Coldplay Vs Kraftwerk

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really really not a fan of cold play, but I hope that all similarities are only accidental on their part, really hate to see any band go down like this, but I guess if you do it with full knowledge and intent, you deserve what you fucking get

Look what happened to the Verve... blatantly ripped off a Rolling Stones song and had to give ALL of their royalty payments to them. They quickly disappeared after that

I hate Coldplay so would love to see the same happen here

yeah but The Verve had great songs before that big hit and they have since reformed and the new album is pretty damn good

I despise Coldplay. The singer was in Extras once though and seemed able to take the piss out of himself, so my attitude towards him has softened since then.

we all know it been lifted.......
we all know that coldplay are tossers...

this shit has been going on for years.

This is not the first case of music plagourism

[ame]http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qtKtP2F-4[/ame]

The Verve didn't rip off The Rolling Stones, they sampled part of a song without giving The Stones songwriting credits to Bittersweet Symphony (which I agree is a brilliant song). Pretty different scenario.

I see no reason why Coldplay would intentionally rip off Satch, and I think it is just a coincidence, which is bound to happen in music every now and again. I hope a jury sees it that way.

I don't mind some Coldplay here and there. And Chris Martin is quite a funny guy in interviews and cameos.

ugh... bittersweet symphony is an insipid piece of 90s depresso-rock crap IMNVHO.

will check out the satch v coldplay clips later on my bonus data time. It's about the only time i can imagine myself ever deliberately checking out a coldplay song.

Does that mean that Kid Rock will be sued by Warren Zevon and Lynyrd Skynyrd for that crappy song he has out now....

Please say yes....please say yes!