January of 2006.

The new rates are far higher than any industry experts expected. In
fact, if they remain unchanged, bankruptcy looms for many online radio
stations.

The new rates essentially levy a tax of $0.0011 per performance. Now,
that doesn't sound bad does it. But consider this. Each hour, the
average radio station plays 16 songs. So that's about 1.76c per hour,
per listener. A station with 500 listener average would be hit with fees
of $211 per day, $6,336 a month or $76,000 a year.

This amount of money is beyond the resources of all but the very
wealthiest of corporations. Many of the internet radio stations are run
by enthusiasts and hobbyists. These small stations are the ones bringing
new music, and old favorites to you every day. Music you can't hear on
corporate-owned terrestrial stations.

Could this be the day the music died?

Go to this site and you will see links to your Government Officials (U.S.) email them to Save Internet Radio!! Thank you and please repost this anywhere and everywhere!:headbang:

I used to like to listen to internet radio back a couple of years ago. That was before I got Sirius they have such a nuce mix of metal stations that they have smoked internet radio. And with their acquisition of XM the sky is the limit. One thing that has turned me off about internet radio is that ANY Tom, Dick and Harry thinks they are a DJ or host, just because they able to. Not the case. More power to those that support internet radion, but I'll listen to Sirius while online, my choice.

This is just another attack on the internet by the record industry. They'd do better to embrace the technology than fight it...and $76,000/year for an audience of 500 ludicrous. It's never gonna pass appeal.

If I'm wrong then it will just go further underground and artists will get even less money for their efforts.

Sony/BMG can kiss my lilly white ass...and while you're at it, please lick up any clinging nuggets.

I wish there was a station on Satellite radio that would play stuff like Wolf, Dream Evil, Edguy, Benedictum, etc. mixed in with older heavier stuff like Accept, Sword and Priest.

Boneyard does a decent job, but Sirius seems a bit too corporate to try and branch out into playing those songs.