Setlist thread 2015

Can we talk about how unfair it was to DC and Fabio to have them competing for audience attention against JSS? Cause damn. No one can wrest your attention from his antics. What a show. It's easy to see how he's been relevant for so long when you see him live.

The current music Anathema plays sounds nothing like they did in their early-to mid period.

According to this set list, there is next to no older material from that time. Apparently not interested in performing it anymore.

Mark Tremonti, Brian Marshall and Scott Phillips of Creed released music with Myles Kennedy and didn't call it Creed. They preferred Alter Bridge, which at times sounds a wee-bit like Creed, but mostly SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I guess those three guys were lunatics for changing the name of their music.

I know they never will change the name, but after stating the facts of the matter then I can't really see a good reason for keeping the name Anathema. For me, that set list put the nail in the coffin in my desire in ever seeing them live.

They did a European tour earlier this year with Darren White and Duncan Patterson playing a lot of old stuff. I'm sure it won't be a regular thing.

There's quite a few bands I used to love that I've stopped seeing live too because I'm not interested in their current material. Not that big a deal really.

They did a European tour earlier this year with Darren White and Duncan Patterson playing a lot of old stuff. I'm sure it won't be a regular thing.

So Progpower wouldn't have been a good place to do this? And why exactly? What's the ratio of headlining gigs in Europe to the U.S? 500 to 1? Probably more really. Interesting.

There's quite a few bands I used to love that I've stopped seeing live too because I'm not interested in their current material. Not that big a deal really.

100% Agree. I have many better things to do and many more things that take precedent over paying for a show, dealing with transportation, and dealing with crowds just to see a band who decides that we're not important enough to give a proper career-spanning set. Paying for something that's going to end up pissing me off is not high on my priority list.

So Progpower wouldn't have been a good place to do this? And why exactly? What's the ratio of headlining gigs in Europe to the U.S? 500 to 1? Probably more really. Interesting.

Are you asking me? I don't know. Email the band and ask I guess.

The current music Anathema plays sounds nothing like they did in their early-to mid period.

According to this set list, there is next to no older material from that time. Apparently not interested in performing it anymore.

Mark Tremonti, Brian Marshall and Scott Phillips of Creed released music with Myles Kennedy and didn't call it Creed. They preferred Alter Bridge, which at times sounds a wee-bit like Creed, but mostly SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I guess those three guys were lunatics for changing the name of their music.

I know they never will change the name, but after stating the facts of the matter then I can't really see a good reason for keeping the name Anathema. For me, that set list put the nail in the coffin in my desire in ever seeing them live.

You are going way overboard dude. I love their new stuff as well. One of the few bands I can happily say I like everything they've done. But I absolutely rate their mid era stuff and the death doom era stuff ahead of the current stuff. And I also agree with you that there should have been more diversity in the set list, particularly considering they rarely visit the states (at least not with a full length set). But damn, changing their name just because you aren't happy? That's just a little nutty man.

The whole argument of being 'mostly something different' as justification for changing the name is blowing my mind. According to that logic the band should have stopped calling themselves Anathema back in the 90s as soon as they dropped the death doom, right?. So should have their contemporaries like Katatonia, The Gathering, Tiamat, Paradise Lost or even My Dying Bride. Do you see how ridiculous that suggestion is? If you listen to every Anathema album in succession the evolution from one album to the next is very much a natural evolution. They never did a sharp turn in sound. if you think they did then you simply weren't paying attention.

Btw, you talk about there being no mid era songs. Well there were, Fragile Dreams, Closer and A Natural Disaster.

Loved Anathema's sets, my most anticipated band of this year's lineup. I hear what some of you are saying about being bummed by not hearing the old stuff, but I don't think it's a big secret that they don't really play a lot (if any) of that anymore. And, it's especially no secret to any regular here on this forum how much the festival's promoter loves the more recent Anathema, so it would be no surprise that they concentrate on their more recent material.

Can we talk about how unfair it was to DC and Fabio to have them competing for audience attention against JSS? Cause damn. No one can wrest your attention from his antics. What a show. It's easy to see how he's been relevant for so long when you see him live.

I'm a big fan of JSS vocally, but I thought he was a bit of a mic hog during what should've been a cool moment. I mean, he's a guest...he should act like one, i.e. not be the big cheese. I found it a bit embarrassing to some degree.

Anyone disappointed by Anathema's setlist didn't do their homework as to the setlists they've been doing over the past few years. I got them to sign my copy of The Silent Enigma, but didn't expect at all to hear a single one of those tunes. Hell, if you look at the setlists included on their two most recent live outputs (Universal and A Sort of Homecoming, you'll see the material that they're basing their live show from nowadays.

Instead, I based my expectations on how much I love Weather Systems and Distant Satellites, and hoping they'd play stuff from Judgement (I would have liked to hear "One Last Goodbye," but I'm not ANGRY they didn't play it).

The band exceeded expectations in the strength of their performance. Both of their sets will go down in ProgPower legend. Guaranteed. If you don't like the new material - that's fine - if you really expected them to play stuff from it and that was the ONLY reason you watched their set, then I say part of the responsibility comes down to not doing your research on what to realistically expect.

Correct, a progressive and power metal festival would not have been the place for a band that's been on the progressive side of things for nearly two decades to play their death/doom metal material. This is akin to complaining that Therion didn't dust off any of the Beyond Sanctorum tracks for their PP sets.

Falconer:

Halls and Chambers
Quest for the Crown
Locust Swarm
Enter the Glade
Catch the Shadows
Upon the Grave of Guilt
The Past Still Lives On
Age of Runes

Wings of Serenity (acoustic)
Long Gone By (acoustic)
Portals of Light (acoustic)

Svarta Ankan
Himmel Sa Trind
Vargaskall
Royal Galley
Northwind

Mindtraveller
The Clarion Call

That Riverside set was killer. Mariusz just sounded godly, and it was a great spread of tunes.

I couldn't agree more! I shall have to re-examine my overall opinion of the "shrine" album as the songs sounded better to me live.
This being my first time seeing them, I went in with no opinion & expected to be floored & I was. One of the highlights of this years festival IMHO.

And thank you to those responsible for submitting all these setlists from this past weekends events. I appreciate the "assist" in this old dudes memory banks !

Anyone disappointed by Anathema's setlist didn't do their homework as to the setlists they've been doing over the past few years.

So they couldn't have played a different set in America after not playing a headlining gig that long? Fourteen to fifteen years is a long time in my book, maybe not to others, I guess.

If you don't like the new material - that's fine - if you really expected them to play stuff from it and that was the ONLY reason you watched their set, then I say part of the responsibility comes down to not doing your research on what to realistically expect.

As I said, they could have played a different set based on ProgP because it's a special deal, right? Instead they played basically an average 2015 European setlist. That's on them. I guarantee you people left pissed. Everyone? No. But I'm sure they did.

If someone's favorite band has a lot of releases and songs that resonate with your personal life, and this band is from another country you don't have reasonable access to, I should just be happy they don't want to play those songs? Really? How many of you have flown to England over the years? I don't expect them to saturate the set with all pre-2000 material, but that list was unacceptable. If you're the type to go to show of a band and just have a great time with whatever they play, good for you. Really. I'm glad you have fun. I'm not geared that way. I tune into certain songs for personal meaning. And when a whole fuckload of them are ignored, I'm going to be pissed.

I rolled the dice ahead of time as Anathema would have been the top draw. I decided not to go and saved myself two people's worth of expenses because I believed that band wouldn't go back that deep. Unfortunately I was right.