Silly and curious question

I don't know what the first record to employ quadtracking was, and admittedly I don't listen to tons of metal.

However, I first NOTICED quadtracking on Metallica's Black Album. HUGE walls of guitar. I'm sure it probably started getting popular in the 80's (Mutt Lange comes to mind) but I'm not sure. It's a good question.

i don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was Black Sabbath on both counts.

I think Iommi was too fucked up to play the same thing twice, let alone four times :lol:

Quad tracking and double tracking is not some relatively new invention, nor is it mainly confined in metal. It's been going on for a loooong time, and in other genres besides metal...and double tracking, even longer. I was quad tracking rhythm parts on my crappy borrowed Tascam 4-track back in the late 80's, after I first read about people doing it. If that gives you an indication that it's been done for quite a while now. Yes, I'm an old fart...and that's okay. ;)

Quad tracking and double tracking is not some relatively new invention, nor is it mainly confined in metal. It's been going on for a loooong time, and in other genres besides metal...and double tracking, even longer. I was quad tracking rhythm parts on my crappy borrowed Tascam 4-track back in the late 80's, after I first read about people doing it. If that gives you an indication that it's been done for quite a while now. Yes, I'm an old fart...and that's okay. ;)

Haha thanks for that tidbit. Yeah I assumed it was done in other music before metal, at least doubletracking, but didn't think quad would've been used. I guess I want to hear and read about the ideas used back then in regard to guitar production and the improvement over a time line.

in the Les Paul obituary, i read that he was doing multi-track layering with the Carpenters... so early 70's at least.

so by the mid 70's you already had people saying "just fix it in the mix" :p