Since nobody has mentioned Forbidden....

I must give them their props.

Glenn,

I want to thank you for bringing some fresh and aggressive blood to this festival. Man, was that a fantastic kick in the ass for the fest. I know Venom, Zekeyou, and Metalshock will agree.

Forbidden absolutely S-L-A-Y-E-D the joint. :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Russ' voice sounded absolutely fantastic. The band was tight as hell. And all instruments sounded insane. Kudos to the crew for fine tuning them in.

And for those who have never seen a human drum machine before and were at the festiva, in my opinion you ProgPowerites just witnessed the greatest drumming performance that this festival will ever see...unless Glenn can get Rush to play. :lol:

Gene Hoglan is a complete MONSTER behind the kit. I was in awe at the rapid fire and tightness that Gene kept on the ride cymbal.

Thanks Glenn for MIXING it up a bit, going out of the genre, and finding this gem in the haystack.

Forbidden was awesome Saturday. One of my favorite performances ever @ PP. Such great energy and musicianship! I wasn't incredibly familiar with all their stuff but they gave me a reason to dig deeper into their catalog.

Such great energy and musicianship! I wasn't incredibly familiar with all their stuff but they gave me a reason to dig deeper into their catalog.

That is AWESOME to hear Jem. If you haven't delved into the world of thrash metal, especially in that time of the mid to late 80s, then I think you are in for a total treat. Everyone witnessed a fine example of what the Bay Area Thrash movement was all about.

I grew up with it, I lived it and it is still to this day my favorite genre of metal.

I remember playing Metallica's 'Fight Fire with Fire' to my mom when I was 13, and her comment was, "You'll ougrow this when you turn 18."

Still waiting to outgrow it 27+ years later.

Two fucking awesome thrash bands in one weekend? Incredible. Not to mention they were my first live thrash shows. They along with Sanctuary demonstrated why i love bay area thrash and I don't listen to Thrash a lot. Was in the seats up until the last song which I was like... fuck it I gotta be in the pit for a least one thrash tune (again, 5`9 height here).

I've come to realize that while thrash metal doesn't do much for me on disc, I REALLY like it in a live setting. I didn't catch all of Forbidden's set, but what I did was great. Their frontman looked like he was having a blast.

Thank you so much Glenn, Hoyt and anyone else involved for getting Forbidden. LOVED their set!!!! I gave Glenn a hug afterwords...

I loved them. Grew up listening to them but never had a chance to see them live. I felt like an 18 year old... although not young enough to enter the pit. ;)

Loved it. I had to step out a couple times to get water (despite the freely available water I had a really hard time staying hydrated this weekend), and to rest, but I had a grin for the entirety of what I saw. I wish I knew their songs better coming in, as I primarily listen to Twisted into Form. Good times.

It was great to hear Russ sing with good sound. I was disappointed at their Kansas City show because the vocals were too low. That was NOT the case at ProgPower and Russ sounded fantastic. Great setlist and intensity. For a truly last minute replacement, these guys fucking killed it.

But did anyone notice that Russ called it the PowerProg festival early on. He finally got it right.......when Hoglan corrected him.

Agree with much of what was said here. I especially loved hearing the deeper tracks from the "Twisted Into Form" release. I was right in front of the pit and kept looking back from time to time wanting to jump in, but I promised the wife I wouldn't go in it. Ha ha ha...... I thought they were a great change of pace for the show. I was so exhausted after that high energy set. Props to all those guys and especially to Matt (bass player) since he wasn't mentioned prior for headbanging from the start of the first song to the end of the last. What energy he has. That was really a fun show.

Bryant

One of my favorite sets of the weekend. They killed it. I saw them in high school with Sacred Reich and haven't seen them since but this took me right back. Made me feel young again to be down there screaming along. Great set from a top notch band.

For people checking out their old stuff start with Forbidden Evil and Twisted Into Form, after that they went into some murky waters for a few years but it was pretty awesome to see them dust off track from Distortion album. \m/

Excellent set! Even some of the Twisted Into Form songs I didn't think I cared for as much as the others blew me away. Totally got into it. And yes, it was great to hear a Distortion song! And Through Eyes of Glass!!! Was really hoping to hear Out of Body (Out of Mind), especially after Infinite, but whatever, Great set!!

I knew nothing of these guys, but was thoroughly entertained. As already mentioned, the drummer was crazy good. I was glad the vocalist actually sang and didn't growl, and he could move around pretty well for a big guy.