so i wanna get an amp for ....

Oct 2, 2004
recording and playing live,I have around 1200$(max) right now my choices are Laney VH100r ,Peavey XXX,and Carviun legacy!which one do u guys think i should go for?

Have you looked into the line 6 HD147(300 watts) also? I think its now in that price range...I could be wrong about the price though... im pretty sure ive seen them for about $1200.00 online.

Out of your suggestions though the XXX...

It all depends on what type of music you intend to use it for. The Legacy is not really a "metal" amp, where as the XXX shines in that department with much more distortion. If your looking for killer tone and a lot of control, you could go all rack, with an all tube power amp, and an all tube preamp + cab.

whatever you decide on, take the time and actually play what you want to get, there is nothing worse then spending 1200 on an amp and finding out its not right for you

Sorry for hijacking your thread control-denied. But since this is about amps, I would love to have your opinions on a tube amp in the price range from 1400-1800€. I'm really into shred guitarists but also love bands like Symphony X(of course), Dream Theater, Adagio, Circus Maximus, Megadeth. So I don't need a versatile amp(I don't want to play different styles of music) but a solid amp with a good and crystal clear clean sound, nice distortion and an assertive lead channel. Any suggestions? I was taking some amps into consideration e.g. the Crate BV 150, Engl Powerball, Peavey JSX, Carvin Legacy. And no, I haven't tested any of those amps yet, but I definitely will.

goth_fiend said:
whatever you decide on, take the time and actually play what you want to get, there is nothing worse then spending 1200 on an amp and finding out its not right for you

That almost happened with me with the Mesa amps. (I'm sure some of us here remembers my thread, "Which amp is the biggest kick in the nuts?") The last few times I went to Guitar Center, I kept trying out every single Mesa (that was plugged in) and I kept trying to get it the way I like my amps to sound, and they're so not flexible!!! It's easy for someone to say they want an amp just by looking at one in a magazine or on a website, but what people really need to do is go and actually try the amp out. It's not always gonna be what you want. I fell in love with my L6 Spider2 stack, because it was right for me, and I knew that because I actually went and tried it out. And that stack was $2000 cheaper than a Mesa head alone, let alone the cab.

MartyF said:
Sorry for hijacking your thread control-denied. But since this is about amps, I would love to have your opinions on a tube amp in the price range from 1400-1800€. I'm really into shred guitarists but also love bands like Symphony X(of course), Dream Theater, Adagio, Circus Maximus, Megadeth. So I don't need a versatile amp(I don't want to play different styles of music) but a solid amp with a good and crystal clear clean sound, nice distortion and an assertive lead channel. Any suggestions? I was taking some amps into consideration e.g. the Crate BV 150, Engl Powerball, Peavey JSX, Carvin Legacy. And no, I haven't tested any of those amps yet, but I definitely will.

with that kind of money you could get just about anything if my conversion is right 1400-1800euro = 1700-2200US$. Crate is downright junk, and Engl is cool if you want to sound like Rammstein.:kickass: but as far as prog-shred tones, I would look into the Mesa boogie simul-class series power amps + Triaxis + good cab.
the best thing to do is to look over your favorite players rigs and get a good idea from there, like check out John Petrucci's clinic rig:
http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/equipment/clinic1.jpg

The Boogie Power Amp+ the Triaxis would cost together ~4600€. All this rig building will cost way too much for me, although a rig would definitely kick ass. Isn't there a tube amp out there in my price range, with which I can get a good "prog-shred" tone?

I dont see how your comming up with 4600 euros, unless your talking about all new gear cause you can get good used triaxis's on ebay for around $1000, and mesa's for around $450, theres also Peavey 50/50's which hold there own agenst mesa's, and Marshall JMP-1's which hold there own agenst triaxis's but cost 1/2 the price. all of this would run you at most 1500 Euro...

Yup, I was talking about all new gear. I'm a bit cautios and unsure with all those used equipment on ebay. I haven't ordered anything from ebay yet, but ordering something without knowing the condition sounds risky to me. But since I haven't done ebay yet, my thoughts could all be prejudices.