So Volbeat pulled out of their fall tour...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As seen on this forum, we are also the kind of fans who will boycott, shit-talk, etc. bands that have done wrong by us. Volbeat seems to have forgotten that word-of-mouth marketing can work two ways.

I agree, and having no lasting attachment to the band, which I had sampled music from, I certainly will not go out of my way to buy their CD's or see any of their shows. It's not because they've "OMG SCREWED GLENN AND PROGPOWER BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY GLENN", but because frankly, I don't see any amount of respect from the band for fans. Might I be wrong? Sure, it's possible, but no matter what kind of business-like spin you put on it, they've lost at least one potential fan, and in retrospect, more than a few sales. I may be a pittance of the galatic pocket book, but I'm not doing it out of protest. I'm doing it because their actions have made me indifferent about them, and frankly, I think, at a business perspective, that is far more damaging. :erk:

Most people probably won't think twice about seeing or buying from a band that has canceled a tour or gone back on their word in the past - hence Van Halen tours and GNR tours selling so well even given some members fickle/drama-queen natures.

Heh. Nightwish. :lol:

That's kind of my point though. If you really really like a band's music you're likely to go see them no matter what. There's a lot of extra emotional baggage that goes along with this fest and its bands. :D

I wish I could remember the thread from a couple of years back but there was a big discussion about a band who canceled some shows they had booked but not confirmed on their website and how this was a common business practice allowing bands to try and save face in case the band has to back out of a confirmed show for some reason. I think it would be interesting to look at this thread again if anybody could find it.

Personal attacks much? Enjoy your forum holiday. I know I will.

That's funny. You know I've been personally attacked here more times than I can count and nothing has ever happened to those forumers. If I get a holiday, the mods may as well make it a deportation. I'm not going to waste my time on a forum where I can't express my opinion (thus, defeating the purpose of a forum in the first place) while others, such as yourself, are allowed to attack me.

Honestly, I think it's just hysterical that I read though pages of this thread full of people that act like they know Volbeat and their people. Volbeat has a great booking agency and management. This decision was made simply because they want to be able to pay their rent. They are on an indie label who probably would have seen to it (it's not their fault either mind you, just how it works...)that they never saw a cent for this tour if they had to pay for the buy on that was required, and to be honest if I were in their shoes I might have done the same. That said, long term I think Volbeat should have just bit the bullet and done the In Flames tour.

Also, of course this whole thing sucks for Glenn. But that doesn't mean the other side deserves the attacks they are getting either.

Also FYI, this tour was never "officially" confirmed to begin with. Blabbermouth and the other news sites picked up on it, but as far as I know there hasn't been an official confirmation of this tour and another band (probably the band that will get Volbeat's spot) was supposed to have been on it and wasn't even mentioned.

I'm doing it because their actions have made me indifferent about them, and frankly, I think, at a business perspective, that is far more damaging. :erk:

I think "indifferent" is a good way to put it for me, too. Basically, Volbeat makes/sells music in a world where that alone doesn't make them the least bit unique or necessary. Though I personally view music to be absolutely necessary in "my" life, there's just way too many other bands worthy of my(our) support and fandom.

If Volbeat were insulin and I were diabetic, perhaps I would be in no position to question whatever bs antics they chose to throw at me. I suppose I'd even further have to continue to accept all the crafty "its only business" excuses too. But ultimately, I find it easy to get turned off to a band from things like this. There's just too many other bands/projects going on for me to continue putting stock in a band that is establishing a poor track record, IMO.

I'm skeptical about this statement. We're a pretty small community and for a band like Volbeat... a foot in the door in the States means a middle slot on Family Values Tour, Gigantour or Ozzfest. At minimum. (Note: that's basically how the popular Japanese bands have been coming over the last 2-3 years.)

This is mainstream band...and just holding this segment of the metal audience would be extremely limiting careerwise.

You can't doubt that any type of U.S. exposure that a band has never had before would help get a foot in the door...though not as big of a push as the festivals and tours you mentioned--so maybe I'll correct myself and say "ProgPowerUSA would have been a great way to get their big toe in the door here in the states though."

better? :lol:

People like Stingray are the reason for this stupidity, Claus, because they have no idea what they talk about and make up half-assed rumors based on nothing as if they are a walking copy of TMZ.

Do you know anyone at Volbeat's camp? No you don't. So how about you get a clue.
You know, I am not going to stoop to your level of name calling. But, there is a saying in the old schoolyard: "Takes one to know one." :heh:

That said, here is what we ALL know;

A musical act called Volbeat, based in the City of Copenhagen, Kingdom of Denmark, HAD an agreement with one Glenn Harveston, a resident of the State of Georgia, United States of America, to perform at an event called ProgPower USA, which is based in the City of Atlanta, in the State of Georgia, United States of America.

I FULLY believe that one Glenn Harveston HAD a SIGNED AGREEMENT with said Volbeat.

I FULLY believe that one Glenn Harveston would have put himself to intense ridicule, not to mention have his reputation harmed, had he named said Volbeat as an act at said ProgPower USA WITHOUT a signed agreement.

The said contract with one Glenn Harveston was broken by one said Volbeat when said Volbeat claimed to have a better opportunity at the same time frame as one ProgPower USA. Said Volbeat claimed that they would be on a musical tour in the Continent of Europe with one In Flames, a musical act based in the City of Göteborg, Kingdom of Sweden.

Following me so far? Are you sure? Good. I'll continue

Said Volbeat now make the claim that a music tour with one said In Flames, a musical act based in the City of Göteborg, Kingdom of Sweden, would not be happening based on certain financial questions.

Still with me?

Now, are you going to stand there and tell me that Volbeat did NOT know about the financial arrangements when they first received the contracts from the tour promoters and/or In Flames Management?

Furthermore, are you going to stand there and say that when Volbeat's management canceled with Glenn because they signed on to the In Flames tour, that they did NOT know of the financial arrangements with In Flames at the time they canceled their ProgPower USA appearance?

If they truly did not know the parameters of the financial arrangements for the In Flames tour before signing onto it. then they have no business being managers.

If they knew about the In Flames deal around the same time as ProgPower USA came about, then they are guilty of negotiating in bad faith because they used Glenn to get a better deal with In Flames.

If they knew that the deal with In Flames was a bad one, and used that to cancel ProgPower USA, and then turn around and cancel with In Flames. Then not only they are guilty of negotiating in bad faith, but probably mail and/or wire fraud because they broke a LEGAL agreement based on the false pretension of a tour that was supposedly financially lucrative.

Now, if there a sickness or death in Volbeat, these things would be understood. This just is not understandable.

And people have a right to be angry. Especially Glenn.

Furthermore, I still stand behind my statement in the "Volbeat cancels" thread. Volbeat has set back their career in the USA 5 years. After this, what promoter in their right mind would TRUST them to honor their contracts?

As for you and me, Time: You like to jump on people you think won't fight back. Granted, stingrays are very docile beings. Roaming through the waters without a care in the world. Like you, most people believe that.

Peace,
Ray C.

Status
Not open for further replies.