So where does Glenn stand on this issue, and where is HIS press release?

BenMech

student of the d'eh
http://www.bravewords.com/news/141895

Vuvuzelas Banned From Wacken Open Air 2010

Hot Flashes

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 14:01:25 EST

This year's edition of the Wacken Open Air festival is scheduled for August 5th - 7th in Wacken, Germany.

Organizers have issued the following message:

"Many of you might have a Vuvuzela , suitable for the World Championship in South Africa. Vuvuzelas officially have a sound level of 135 decibels, which is 10 dB louder than a starting jet plane so we have decided to ban them completely from the festival.

To avoid that the live performances of the artists will be disturbed by the nerve strucking trumpet noises, our security will check the whole audience at the entrance to the festival area. If someone doesn´t abide to this rule, the security is advised to take theses instruments away.

Please also take care at the camping area and do not disturb your neighbours. They will thank you for this...

Thanks for your understanding."

For a second there, I thought you were talking about a band. :dopey:
Despite watching a lot of WC matches, I never quite grasped the name of those obnoxious things.

Well, I'm pretty sure 99.99999999% of the Progpower (on any continent) community doesn't own any of these beasts.
This is more a "Did they REALLY need to send a press release for something so common sense?" inquiry.

I do not expect Glenn to have reason to make a statement, though he's witty enough to say the right thing here.

Yeah, I really don't see why you would think an organizer of an indoor festival would even bother commenting on such a story, but whatever.
I would think that anyone who would use one in an indoor metal fest would instantly get a cock punch anyhow.

#1 I think the crowd that attends ProgPower has a little bit more respect for the festival, and for Glenn to even think of bringing one of those inside. So hence I believe it is a non-issue. And if they did I agree with Jasonic

I believe Ben made this thread tongue-in-cheek. ;) I'm sure no one will attempt to bring one to ProgPower

just think of it.....an all Vuvuzelas Heavy Metal band:Spin:

BBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know, what if one of these prog bands uses it? Prog bands will add any instrument or noisemaker to their mix if they can.:)

Wasn't there a Japanese prog band a few years ago who had a track on their album which was nothing but the most unpleasant sounds imaginable?

From Rick Reilly's column:

Here are the top 10 most annoying things about watching the World Cup already:

1. That pesky cerebrum-blowing incessant buzzing sound coming from the TV set. "Babe, something's wrong with the TV," my wife said Saturday. But there wasn't anything wrong. It was the dreaded vuvuzelas, the yard-long plastic horns (voo-voo-zella) that South African fans blow all the time, without rhyme nor reason, when something is happening and when it's not (it's usually not), during timeouts and time ins, during halftime and at the breakfast table and while they're on the bus and while doing their taxes, until you just want to stab two fondue forks deep into your ears and stir. They never stop. It's like having a desk in the center cubicle at American Bee, Inc. They sound like 80,000 yaks getting sick. They are the leading cause of Tylenol sales in the world today.

4. The godforsaken vuvuzelas! Make them stop! One of the charms of soccer is the singing that fans do. There is always loads of singing and chanting because every game is 1-nil, so there's plenty of time for singing and chanting. Soccer fans sing and chant inane hilarious things like, "We are from Norway! We came on a plane! And we are very drunk!" But we don't get to hear the singing and the chanting because of the horrible, hideous, heinous vuvuzelas! My god, they should take them into the mountainous caves region of Pakistan and play them until Osama bin Laden comes running out, screaming, "OK, OK! I give!"

10. The vuvuzelas from eardrum-hellas! Don't tell me it's discrimination to want them to stop. Don't tell me it's an essential part of South African culture. If it is, it's an annoying part of their culture. Yes, I know that centuries ago, the vuvuzelas were made from animal horns to call the village elders in for a meeting. And I'll bet you five wildebeests that when the elders finally got to the meeting they said, "Would you STOP already with the blowing? You're making me crazy!" I've been to Africa four times. They do some of the most beautiful singing you can imagine. At the World Cup, I'm hearing no singing. I'm hearing no chanting. I'm hearing 80,000 kazoos on steroids.

just think of it.....an all Vuvuzelas Heavy Metal band:Spin:

BBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't that what the Plasmatics were going for?
(Youtube of Dreamlover live -- NSFW, and NSFgoodtaste)

I like how they manage in concert to capture the essence of the 2 minute jam segment of the studio version of the song, where each musician ("musician") turned off their monitor and played w/o knowing what the rest of the band was doing.

The Plasmatics 1st album was my second favorite LP for annoying dorm roommates. #1 was an LP of drag racing, recorded in 1957.

Vuvuzulas just don't quite have that same charm.

dude the PLSMATICS rocked, sorry you didn't get it

They're certainly putting on a good show, I'll grant them that.

In a different time of my life I might have gotten into them, but for me the early 80s were all about Randy Rhoads, Yngwie, Akira, and Frank Zappa and his stunt guitarists. Vai's work on the PiL generic album got my ear, but other (post-)punk era stuff leaves me cold.

:devil:

Seriously, I love these:

Vuvuzela-groot.jpg

I play this sound at work all the time:

Vuvuzela Sound