Some Reviews of bands playing at Prog Power 3.0....

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
I figured I'd give you a taste with some of my reviews. I have yet to review Threshold, but this is the best I can do for now. I can assure you all these bands are quality. If you liked last year's show, this year's should be even better!

Blind Guardian
These German celtic power metalers provide some of the most layered, melodic, and unique metal in the genre. Their music is often fantasy based and could be sub genred into "glory" or "fantasy" metal. Much like with Dream Theater, I'm sure you already have your own opinion of this band. If you're a power/prog metal fan and have not heard of Blind Guardian, there's clearly something wrong...

Tales from the Twilight World (1990)
Blind Guardian’s 3rd Helloween inspired power metal volume features the standard anthem-like choruses and big melodies the band had become famous for. Although many metal-heads consider this to be Blind Gaurdian’s finest work, I have to disagree. The opening song "Traveler in Time" is certainly one of the finest the band has written with heavy melodic powerhouses like "Tommy Knockers" being of equal splendor. However, beyond these 2 songs and perhaps a few others, the band doesn’t have as much classic material as later albums give. There are no truly bad songs on this album, however, and it is classic power metal. B/ 85

Somewhere Far Beyond (1992)
Further brandishing their celtic progressive power metal sound, Blind Gaurdian achieve some esteemed prog power classics! The title track "Somewhere Far Beyond" is essential Blind Gaurdian filled with melodic passages, speed metal verses, and even a glorious bag pipe solo. The synthesized orchestral "Theatre of Pain", excessively glorious "Journey Through the Dark", and ultra progressive and melodic "Quest for Tanelorn" and "Ashes to Ashes"are other noteworthy highlights! I would highly recommend newcomers to the Blind Gaurdian sound start here. A- / 92

Imaginations from the Other Side (1995)
Despite the opinion and disappointing review Mr. Rink gave of this album, I must contest from a prog viewpoint that this ranks as the band’s finest work to date. Only Rhapsody could write a better power metal album this. Classics include the epic title track, the glorious “Bright Eyes” and “Another Holy War.” All 9 tracks are quite exceptional and I couldn’t imagine skipping over a single one. Be weary of the shoddy production which is the only thing setting this album back. Glorious choruses, smoking leads, and heavy dramatic progressive arrangements make this an all time power metal classic. A / 95

Nightfall in Middle Earth (1998)
This is one of the greatest power metal albums ever written and with loads of progressive influences to top it off. The celtic 6/8 rhythms and classical leads are glorious. The music tells a story based on Tolkien's The Silmarillion through passages between the tracks. To thoroughly enjoy this album, however, you'll have to acustom yourself to multiple layers of vocals, keyboards, and guitars. The sound is rather thick and quite busy!! A must purchase! A / 94

Gamma Ray
Patriarch of power metal, Kai Hansen, put together Gamma Ray in the late '80s: a power metal band some will contend saved metal in the '90s. Nothing could be further from the truth to these ears. As much as I respect and love Kai Hansen, Gamma Ray songs are quite inconsistent

Power Plant (1999)
This is one of the most overrated power metal albums I've heard. The guitar is bombastic and quite entertaining, but the vocal melodies and lyrics are not at the standards European power metal has grown to. The last three songs, however, are brilliant and save Power Plant from a bad rating ("Wings of Destiny", "Hands of Fate", "Armageddon"). This album is enjoyable, but '80s style power metal is getting a tad cliché; there's much better material out there than Power Plant. B- / 80

Angra
The Brazilian power progressive metal Gods Angra continuously raise the standards of melodic metal with their many classical and ethnic influences- both melodically and persuasively. Their debut release Angel's Cry set a new standard for power metal with classical orchestration and incredible musical performances. Vocalist and lead songwriter Andre Matos left the band after Fireworks and is now involved in a new band entitled Shaman. Guitarists Kiko Loureiro and Rafael Bittencourt now front the band with a new vocalist Edu Falaschi continuing the legacy of Angra.

Holy Land (1995)
This an awesome concept album about the exploration and exploitation of South America by the Portuguese and Spanish. Andre Matos provides stunning classical vocals and orchestrations while Rafael Bittencourt and Kiko Loureiro play smoking leads and riffs on guitar. The highlight of this album is the Latin melodies and percussion seamlessly woven into the sound- "Carolina IV", "Silence and Distance", and the title track. The first half of this album is more interesting and progressive than the second, but once I start the album I can't stop or skip tracks. For the most part, this is a classic. A- / 92

Rebirth (2001)
Without Andre Matos in the band, I had my doubts as to whether Angra could uphold the standards in melody and arrangement they have become known for. I was pleasantly surprised with Rebirth- an album that sounds similar to Holy Land only with more memorable melodies. The amazing classical and Latin influences have been downplayed a touch, but the songs are generally stronger. Falaschi adds a deeper, cleaner, and less nasal voice that is in many ways preferable to Matos'- though lacking the range. He also pens "Hero's of Sand" a unique power ballad-like song with a powerful chorus. The album's eight middle songs are the highlight showcasing the classical and ethnic melodies, fantastic riffs, and choirs ("Acid Rain", "Unholy Wars", and "Running Alone"). Those new to Angra should definitely start here! A / 93

Pain of Salvation
Pain of Salvation practically reinvented progressive metal in the late '90s with Entropia and One Hour by the Concrete Lake: two of my favorite progressive metal albums of all time. Their compositions (fronted by guitarist/vocalist Daniel Gildenlow) are unique and complex but by no means ultra technical; just rebellious progressive metal with some fussion and funk, a touch of classical stylings, and some death metal influences. If you're looking for verse/chorus metal with the "insert killer lead here and put riff here before bridge" style "song writing" then stay clear. Pain of Salvation are the anithesis of conventional "song writing."

Entropia (1997)
Entropia is debatably my favorite progressive metal album of all time. It's a heart wrenching concept album about war in an imaginary country. The introductory "!(foreword)" blows me away every time I hear it. Every song on here is brilliant. Favorites include "Revival", "Nightmist", "Oblivion Ocean", "Stress", and "!(foreword)"... essentially the entire album! Prepare yourself for a little bit of fussion and funk mixed with some very agressive/hard edged sounds. Entropia is the epitome of everything I love about progressive metal. A must listen!! A+ / 98

One Hour by the Concrete Lake (1998)
I don't think it's possible for Pain of Salvation to write a better album than Entropia, but I certainly hope they continue to put out releases as quality as One Hour by the Concrete Lake (a concept album about pollution). The fussion and funk influences have dissapeared and the Pain of Salvation signature sound has perhaps matured (featuring a seamless flow between the songs). While the intensity here is way higher than most progressive metal albums, it doesn't quite reach the same level Entropia does. Every song on here is excellent, though the middle track "Water" is probably my favorite due to the beautiful vocal harmonies and progressive arrangement. Excellent album!! A / 96

Edguy
Fronted by Tobias Sammet's operatic vocals and theatrical approach to melody, Edguy have won a reputation as one of Germany's finest power metal bands. European power metal is usually more uplifting and melodic than the American material that is usually alot darker, and this is no exception. Prepare yourself for over the top music with a glorious sound.

Theater of Salvation (1999)
This is a superb power metal album featuring the greatest power metal ballad I've ever heard ("Land of the Miracle"), some killer guitar leads ("Arrows Fly" and "Babylon") and the incredible progressive opus "Theater of Salvation." If it weren't for some excessively lame lyrics ("Holy Shadows" and "The Healing Vision") this would be one of the greatest power metal albums of all time. With albums like this, however, European power metal is becoming synonymous with progressive. Theater of Salvation is an excellent introductory album for anyone interested in power or progressive metal. A- / 90

Mandrake (2001)
While Tobias Sammet's Avantasia (also released in 2001) was a smash hit, Edguy's Mandrake is a touch lack luster in comparison. While the lyrics are a genuine improvement in expression using the English language over Theater of Salvation, the music is more traditional metal based and much less theatrical than Theater of Salvation. That said, "Golden Dawn", "Nailed to the Wheel", and "Save Us Now" are melodic theatrical opuses I could not be without. The acoustic intro of "Nailed to the Wheel" features one of Sammet's best performances and a Judas Preist-like chorus. Unfortunately, I couldn't ignore the weaker tracks featuring their newer riff centered style- "Painting on the Wall", "Fallen Angels" and "Wash Away the Poison." I found their 10 minute opus "Pharoh" to be a touch lackluster as well. While bombastic theatrics and massive melodies are missing, this is still a quality release with some great songs! B / 86

Reading Zero
Reading Zero are an interesting brand of progressive metal similar to Lemur Voice, The Quiet Room, Dali's Dilema. Their songs are nice and short but are far too progressive to get radio play. I could easily see someone calling Reading Zero a musicians' music type of band as their use of changing and odd time signatures and complex melodies are difficult to interpret for the average music listener.

The Actual (1997)
Reading Zero strike a difficult balance with The Actual. They have 4-5 minute songs (meaning somewhat accessible) and nice guitar leads/melody but very progressive and odd time signatures/harmonies. Reading Zero's sound winds up being too technical for a mainstream metal audience but not so enough for it to be classified as technical metal. Highlights include the catchy yet technical "Amongst the Clouds", the passionate "Dimensions" and "Strategy" and the ultra Perfect Symmetry (Fates Warning) influenced "And Never to Return." A solid release but I hope Reading Zero push their song writing to further limits on future releases! B+ / 88

I review for prog.web.com

Matt (the webhost) is out for Spring Break and hasn't gotten a chance to upload my latest 12-15 reviews... but a lot of reviews are here... rest assured http://209.120.142.156/index.asp?page=michael.htm :lol: mooohoooohahahaha

I also have a radio show... please check it out this weekend!! Saturdays 4-8 CST.

michael.jpg

The Michael.... The Edge of Forever Internet Radio...