Sonata Arctica Chicago photos posted (Jan 26, 2006)

Man oh man oh man oh MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting these. I really, really love them. I am so glad that I can see some quality photos of them on this tour because I know my club is going to be insanely difficult for me to get anything good probably. I love shooting pics at Chicago House of Blues - they always have killer lighting there. I really like the fact that you went into the balcony as well, not just always close up. And that you grabbed shots of the crowd. One question - how did you get the effect on the one photo of Tommy with the various colors and whatnot?

trentdk said:
Yah dude, freaking awesome photography! Was it you that took them? Do you mind telling us what camera / lens you used?

Hey trentdk,

I used two digital SLR cameras with two different lenses. Most of the shots were taken with the Canon 5D. The others with the Canon 1D Mark II. No flash used on a single photo.

The lenses were the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS.

The Canon 5D is awesome for low lighting situations, even better than the 1DMarkII. In other words, there is a lot less pixel noise at ISO 1600 which allows me to use a faster shutter speed or bigger aperture for sharper pics.

All images taken in Camera Raw format and processed with Adobe Camera Raw 3.3. Adobe Camera Raw is excellent for converting those "pink" images to black/white.

Squeak said:
One question - how did you get the effect on the one photo of Tommy with the various colors and whatnot?

Hi Squeak!

That was the only photo that I filtered in Photoshop. I duplicated the background layer to create a two-layered file and played with the color balance on the top layer. After that, I applied a motion blur (zoom) to the top layer. I then added a layer mask to the top layer which allowed me to erase the center of the top (blurred) layered and let Tommy show through underneath (unblurred).

Wow... great shots.

Do you have the setlist for their show?

I was going to travel to St. Pete to see them instead of just S. Florida.. but it lands a Monday.. :(

Empress said:
Wow... great shots.

Do you have the setlist for their show?

I was going to travel to St. Pete to see them instead of just S. Florida.. but it lands a Monday.. :(
Well, I am not sure what is going on with the SA show in St. Pete. The State Theatre site no longer shows the SA show on their calendar and instead lists a show for Thrill Kill Kult on the same date. I would call to make sure what is going on, if you do decide to come to St. Pete.

Setlist for the current tour (I run the North American SA forum so I have it posted there too):

1. Misplaced
2. Blinded No More
3. FullMoon
4. Victoria's Secret
5. Broken
6. 8th Commandment
7. Last Drop Falls
8. Kingdom For a Heart
9. Weballergy
10. Tallulah
11. My Land
12. Black Sheep

---BREAK---

13. Medley
14. Don't Say a Word
15. The Cage
16. Vodka song

thank you.. that is amazing, i looooove victoria's secret and the cage!! :headbang:

too bad no wolf and raven!!!!!!!!! :cry: