Song Survivor!

No u! Downfall is exactly that :lol: T,L&S kicks much more ass. Plus I'm tired of hearing downfall closing Bodom shows over and over again. It was such a relief when they threw it in the middle of the show on the last european tour, but now it's back closing the show on the LOG tour.

Downfall is just so nice... and i also liked it that HCDR was the last in EU-tour. But downfall was still 3:rd last song.

No u! Downfall is exactly that :lol: T,L&S kicks much more ass. Plus I'm tired of hearing downfall closing Bodom shows over and over again. It was such a relief when they threw it in the middle of the show on the last european tour, but now it's back closing the show on the LOG tour.

NO U

And I will never tire of hearing that song. :V

Well, I don't really like DOwnfall. The Intro and the solo is great, also a few other parts of this song but I don't like the album version. When I listen to Downfall then to some live versions especially the CRY and Tuska one which are great. I think this song earns a lot of pros only because of the keyboard whereas Trashed is so much more complex and I also would say more melodious. It was the first Bodom song with a 'real' chorus, the solo is better, the verse is harder, the intro pawns all other Bodom intros (especially the drums in the intro), the vocals are better so why Downfall?!? This song is like 20 years old!

I also can't understand why you guys let Hate me! die in the first round... When I started this thread I really thought that ETID, Downfall, Trashed and Hate me! are the best four songs.... DWEDFN is also a good final candidate for the next Song Survivor.

Well, I don't really like DOwnfall. The Intro and the solo is great, also a few other parts of this song but I don't like the album version. When I listen to Downfall then to some live versions especially the CRY and Tuska one which are great. I think this song earns a lot of pros only because of the keyboard whereas Trashed is so much more complex and I also would say more melodious. It was the first Bodom song with a 'real' chorus, the solo is better, the verse is harder, the intro pawns all other Bodom intros (especially the drums in the intro), the vocals are better so why Downfall?!? This song is like 20 years old!

So complexity makes a song better? :erk: And being older makes Downfall worse? :erk: That's what I'm gathering here.

And tbh, as much as I like Bodom's newer stuff, Alexi hasn't been a good vocalist at all since FTR.

No, I've justed mentionend it as a fact and not really as a bad thing for Downfall.
And about his voice... Since AYDY his voice is deeper and clearer so you can't say that his voice was better at the beginning. You can say that you like it more - anything else would be wrong.
He also is a better guitarist now (though his playing is partly kinda sloppy)

And about his voice... Since AYDY his voice is deeper and clearer so you can't say that his voice was better at the beginning. You can say that you like it more - anything else would be wrong.
No.

Just because his voice is clearer, doesn't make it better.

His screams on Hatebreeder were fantastic. Really abrasive, guttural screams that just oozed badassery. If I may use an analogy, it was like a layer of sandpaper over the song... gave each song an edge.

His newer screams may be easier to make out, but they sound forced and weak. Really screechy, awkward screams.

I don't mind personal preference, and I don't mind Alexi's newer vocals (however objectively bad they may be), but his older vocals were objectively better, and I am not budging on this issue.

But objectives change, so you can't rightfully say that his new vocals are "objectively" bad. His old vocals were not really "vocals", but are closer to a static-note instrument added to the mix, making the older songs more of instrumental songs (unless you can somehow understand those screams, although I seriously doubt that unless you've memorized the lyrics). Whereas in more recent albums you can understand his screams to a much greater extent, they actually have some lyrical depth (however joking and retarded those lyrics may be). Not to mention his screams actually have pitch.

But objectives change, so you can't rightfully say that his new vocals are "objectively" bad. His old vocals were not really "vocals", but are closer to a static-sounding instrument added to the mix, making the older songs more of instrumental songs (unless you can somehow understand those screams, although I seriously doubt that unless you've memorized the lyrics). Whereas in more recent albums you can understand his lyrics to a much greater extent, they actually have some lyrical depth (however joking and retarded those lyrics may be).

They're still not really instrumental you fool... and listen to Wareart for example. There you can fucking hear the lyrics the first time...

And me? I like his vocals here, for an example. He was better before...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't understand why a lot of songs died in the first round. But that's why Bodom is awesome, there are so many good songs.

Tue.

So complexity makes a song better? :erk: And being older makes Downfall worse? :erk: That's what I'm gathering here.

And tbh, as much as I like Bodom's newer stuff, Alexi hasn't been a good vocalist at all since FTR.

I think his vocals now are better. Before he just screamed, now he's staring to sing a bit too. Dunno. I like themm all, but I think that if I had to choose I'd pick the new ones. And don't gather the worst part of what Arcane said, he gave you some valid arguments about why T,L&S could be better. As always it's a matter of taste because both are good songs, but he didn't use retarded arguments man :)

I too like his old vocals (HB, FTR and HCDR) better because they were more brutal in my opinion, but new ones are also good. And of course everyone has right for their opinion.

Isn't this going quite off-topic btw?

But objectives change, so you can't rightfully say that his new vocals are "objectively" bad. His old vocals were not really "vocals", but are closer to a static-note instrument added to the mix, making the older songs more of instrumental songs (unless you can somehow understand those screams, although I seriously doubt that unless you've memorized the lyrics). Whereas in more recent albums you can understand his screams to a much greater extent, they actually have some lyrical depth (however joking and retarded those lyrics may be). Not to mention his screams actually have pitch.

I actually don't feel that one needs to be able to decipher the screams in order for the vocalist to be good. I can, to an extent, but as you said, the vocals are being used as a rhythmic instrument rather than being an engine for the (typically) silly lyrics.

I think his vocals now are better. Before he just screamed, now he's staring to sing a bit too. Dunno. I like themm all, but I think that if I had to choose I'd pick the new ones. And don't gather the worst part of what Arcane said, he gave you some valid arguments about why T,L&S could be better. As always it's a matter of taste because both are good songs, but he didn't use retarded arguments man :)

Well tbh, I consider screaming a form of singing in and of itself. Soooo yeah.

After a long old vs. new voice discussion we have a winner. It's - what a surprise - DOWNFALL with 15 votes. Second place with 8 votes - TRASHED.
I'm a bit angry about the result but whatever....

END OF SONG SURVIVOR I