Sound Replacement

_Gentleman of_the Snow_

Prog' Drummer
Oct 30, 2005
Toronto, Canada
As I had asked in another thread, but was never answered:

Does SymX record their parts, and then overwrite everything with a constant sound? My friend at work was telling me that drums are usually overwritten completely with a constant, I guess MIDI, that was recorded by the drummer. Also can be done with other instruments. Do bands use this technique when recording a studio album? More importantly, does SymX?

Are you asking if they record each person's instrument separately or not, or what? Because when the word MIDI comes to mind, I think of Tabit or GuitarPro.

Well, what I mean is; the drummer records his parts, and then on computer, they overwrite every hit with 1 sound, so it sounds exactly the same everytime. Obviously, for fills and things like that, they alter this. Also good for perfect panning of the drums.

Its called Triggers. No, they use midi for orchestration, theres no need for the drums to go through midi, or triggers to get an even panned sound. Sure some effects here and there to tweak the sound, but not full blown run it through midi, and change the whole dynamics of the drums.

It's not necessarily triggering. Sometimes they do a lot of copying/pasting of a very well-recorded drum sound, especially for the snare.

And to clarify, triggered drums usually aren't a MIDI sound, they use MIDI to trigger an audio sample (usually for the bass drum).

yes it is very possible and not all that difficult to do sound replacement on drums. I should know, because all the drums on my album were sound replaced except for the cymbals. Its essentially post triggering. Instead of triggers being on the drums when they're recorded, the signal from each drum track is fed through a processor that detects each hit, and the replaces it with a sampled hit. So its not like you're going in and "editing out" all the hits...think of it as the recorded sound of the drum is triggering the sample as opposed to the actual sound of the drum being played live.

And yes, I've heard from some people that the drums on SymX albums are most likely triggered or sound replaced. Its a common practice, especially in metal to give a really even sound.

And also, as was the case with Teemu's drums, it eliminates any bleed that occured from the other mics while the drums were recorded.

And don't think of it like they're "erasing" Rullos performance or anything, because thats not what it is...its more like going into a recorded synth track and changing the patch on it cause you didn't like the way the original one sounded.

And don't think of it like they're "erasing" Rullos performance or anything, because thats not what it is...its more like going into a recorded synth track and changing the patch on it cause you didn't like the way the original one sounded.
Exactly, great way to put it man. And it's pretty much essential for a good rock or metal sound... unless, of course, your drummer is John Bonham.

Jason Rullo's snare sound on The Odyssey, is, aside from Mike Portnoy's on Images and Words, one of the best snare sounds ever.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Exactly, great way to put it man. And it's pretty much essential for a good rock or metal sound... unless, of course, your drummer is John Bonham.
If your drummer is John Bonham, then you're either really really dead, or really really lucky to have his reincarnation playing drums for you.

Yngvai X said:
yes it is very possible and not all that difficult to do sound replacement on drums. I should know, because all the drums on my album were sound replaced except for the cymbals. Its essentially post triggering. Instead of triggers being on the drums when they're recorded, the signal from each drum track is fed through a processor that detects each hit, and the replaces it with a sampled hit. So its not like you're going in and "editing out" all the hits...think of it as the recorded sound of the drum is triggering the sample as opposed to the actual sound of the drum being played live.

And yes, I've heard from some people that the drums on SymX albums are most likely triggered or sound replaced. Its a common practice, especially in metal to give a really even sound.

And also, as was the case with Teemu's drums, it eliminates any bleed that occured from the other mics while the drums were recorded.

Your explanation is amazing. That makes a huge amount of sense, lol. Thanks a lot, dude.

Mrfast, I use Guitar Pro 3 all the time :headbang:

I use Tabit: The jealous little brother of Guitar Pro that always tries to interfere with the older brother's buisness.

It's easy to install, to send files, to store your songs, and I've never used GuitarPro. In fact, one of my past bands did all of our communication with riffs and shit through Tabit. ToRuinAll would know what I'm talking about, but he hasnt been on here in forever.

RequiemX said:
Is that even possible? Why not just use a MIDI track if that's your intention?

Not only is it possible, but it's an extremely common occurence in professional production... drum beats are replaced or complemented with samples chosen by the producer.

arglebargle said:
Not only is it possible, but it's an extremely common occurence in professional production... drum beats are replaced or complemented with samples chosen by the producer.

I bet a lot of people actually didn't know this! It's a very interesting fact, that makes a lot of sense. Drums always sound so perfect/equal, and as I had said earlier, it can help for panning, and lessen other drum bleed through.

What would be the sense in recording a part 30 times in a row because of one hit being slightly off? This helps save time, and studio time is quite expensive.

suddelnly it all makes sense...But Gentlemen_Of_The_Snow is a big loser, so listen not to what he says... LOL

Gp3 rules, and Gp4 is the same shizit justa few extra features... As for tabbit, stick with gp3 if you have it, if you have tabbit go with Gp3 lol..or 4 ;)