SSD Sampler VS SSD 3.5 Kontakt question

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys, a while ago I bought one of those audio midi no brainer deals for a SSD sampler pack, but never got a chance to check it out till now. Before that I've always used SSD 3.0/3.5 in Kontakt. I messed around with the SSD sampler yesterday on a demo, and I was amazed by how much more realistic and human the drums sounded (especially with fast fills) as opposed to the ones in SSD on Kontakt.

I'm just wondering why this is? Are these all new samples, or is it something about the SSD sampler player?

Can't answer your question but this is the same sampler I grabbed a few months back when it was on sale for $20. The only plugin I ever bought and it sure beats my old way of programming drums.

Can't answer your question but this is the same sampler I grabbed a few months back when it was on sale for $20. The only plugin I ever bought and it sure beats my old way of programming drums.

Nice, yeah I think that's what it cost me too. I'm just wondering why it sounds so much better, it makes me feel like I was doing something wrong with the contact version. It also sounds like there's some sort of reverb already on there, but I saw no reverb option, maybe it's just the way the overheads bleed into the other mics? Whatever it is it sounds way better. I definitely think the engine is improved as well for fast fills.

Pretty sure they can be used. There's a way you can load other samples somehow. What I don't understand is - how the Sampler knows what is what.

i jsut started using the SSD samples in kontakt but having trouble getting everything matched up when importing MIDI data into pro tools. seams like my kick drum is now a floor tom etc etc

Yeah my only complaint with the SSD sampler is it seems like the user interface is pretty confusing

I can agree here.

The mixer window bugs me. I like being able to arrange my drums in such:

Kick - Snare Top - Snare Bottom - Tom 1 - Tom 2 - etc....

Just seems like the mixer is oddly setup in this sampler and you can't move things around. Plus - I noticed that when you change a kit to say, "Metal 01", it automatically adjusts faders in the mixer. I like to set all my internal faders to 0db and then adjust as needed in Reaper.

i jsut started using the SSD samples in kontakt but having trouble getting everything matched up when importing MIDI data into pro tools. seams like my kick drum is now a floor tom etc etc

Can't you just select all the midi notes for that track and move them to the correct note? This happens to me when I download GP files and also when I get midi drums from people on here that (most likely) created the drums in a different drum sequencer.

In Reaper, all you have to do is find the notes that are on the wrong drum, right click that key on the piano roll, then click and drag them to the proper key.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized you were talking about Kontakt. I know nothing about that.

Since we're talking about MIDI, anyone know how to export just part of MIDI in Pro Tools? For instance I have a whole album in one session, and I'd like to export the MIDI for each song individually.

Since we're talking about MIDI, anyone know how to export just part of MIDI in Pro Tools? For instance I have a whole album in one session, and I'd like to export the MIDI for each song individually.

Never used PT. Is there a way to just highlight the midi that you need and export time selection?

I can agree here.

The mixer window bugs me. I like being able to arrange my drums in such:

Kick - Snare Top - Snare Bottom - Tom 1 - Tom 2 - etc....

Just seems like the mixer is oddly setup in this sampler and you can't move things around. Plus - I noticed that when you change a kit to say, "Metal 01", it automatically adjusts faders in the mixer. I like to set all my internal faders to 0db and then adjust as needed in Reaper.

Just make your own preset with all of that. I made a preset that's essentially Metal Kit 02 but with all the routing options already set up so I don't have to do it every time.