Stair lighting/tape

kellsco

Jan 3, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Visit site
Has this been addressed this year? Remind me if it has.

I know some very kind souls took time out of their PP weekend to tape the stairs for us last year, and I was EVER so grateful for it. I know there was talk about the venue making some upgrades/renovations this past year, and stair lighting was talked about.

Anyone know if that's been done? Do we need to tape again this year?

I have to be at the venue Friday at 11 for a meeting, but after that I am free for a while and would be glad to help out with adding tape to the stairs that go to the floor.

I don't want what happened to me in 2004 to happen to someone else, or worse.:erk:

I could swear I've seen some little disposable/stick on lights - if I could just remember where. Even if I can find some small disposable flashlights and duct tape - that may help, especially in combination with reflective tape. It can be quite a challenge towards the end of a night, when you're tired and not paying as much attention on those stairs. I'd hate to have someone's PP experience ruined by a preventable accident.

As we have gold badges - and get in early for some events I'd likely be able to arrive early and slap some tape. I'll know for sure when I get in to town and see exactly how long it will take to get back & for from the Inn at Peachtrees. I'm 70% leaning towards trying that place out and giving up room at the Residence Inn.

Jeff

I'll be there on Wednesday with Pellaz. Should I be able to get to the venue, I'll be more than happ to help put tape down/ do whatever else is needed to keep anyone from getting boned.

Should be there on a Wed for the first time. Tell me when and where and I'll help, too.

Steve in Philly

P.S. - If we get enough helpers, everyone will have to tape only one step.

I can help between rounds too. If you're talking about the chem-lights, the local army-navy store should have them. If not, I know which one does.

Yeah, 'cause you used to work there. :)

Those dimmer chem-lights last for hours and might be bright enough, but I'm not sure about that. How long do those bright-white chem-lights last? (They're a lot brighter, but don't last anywhere near as long, iirc...)

I'll be there on Wednesday with Pellaz. Should I be able to get to the venue, I'll be more than happ to help put tape down/ do whatever else is needed to keep anyone from getting boned.

Same here...I'll be attending the Oliva show and will probably be obligated for karaoke afterwards (not to sing, but for other reasons), but I'll be glad to help tape. I've tripped on those goddamn stairs more than once.

Yeah, 'cause you used to work there. :)

Those dimmer chem-lights last for hours and might be bright enough, but I'm not sure about that. How long do those bright-white chem-lights last? (They're a lot brighter, but don't last anywhere near as long, iirc...)

The white ones last about 9 hours, least, that's what they're rated for (the military ones). Though, I'd vote for the tape, just put it along the edge of the step.

The Q, Esa, and I did the stair taping last year. Pre-cutting the strips before you arrive at the venue will speed things up dramatically.

The white reflective tape worked well, although we ran out, so the point person for this project should bring more than they think is necessary. It's also nice to tape some of the railings along the bottom of the stairwells which are painted pitch black. :rolleyes:

Plan for:

The two longest stairwells that run from floor to the absolute top (about 30 steps each x 2 = 60 steps).

The two intermediate stairwells that run from entrance-door-level to the absolute back wall (about 20 steps each x 2 = 40 steps).

The two shortest stairwells that run from entrance-door-level to the floor (about 10 steps each x 2 = 20 steps).

A 4" strip per step is adequate. My estimates may be a bit off (which is why you will want to buy more tape than you think you need). So, 120 steps x 4"/step is 480" (40 feet) of white reflective tape just for the stairs. More would be needed for any railings or walkways.

If Center Stage is considered to be in the heart of the "Manhattan of the South" and is looking to draw an elite clientle willing to pay $200-$500 bucks a night for nice place to stay next to the venue, then I would hope that Center Stage would have addressed the stair issue by now. Ligthing the stairs is such an easy way to attempt to prevent a potential lawsuit. It will be almost unfathomable if the sitation has not been remedied this year given the new corporate investors in the venue.

If Center Stage is considered to be in the heart of the "Manhattan of the South" and is looking to draw an elite clientle willing to pay $200-$500 bucks a night for nice place to stay next to the venue, then I would hope that Center Stage would have addressed the stair issue by now. Ligthing the stairs is such an easy way to attempt to prevent a potential lawsuit. It will be almost unfathomable if the sitation has not been remedied this year given the new corporate investors in the venue.

Hey. Maybe this year I'll "slip" and fall. Then next year I will own Center Stage, and Glenn can do whatever he wants with the festival. The stairs will be lighted, there will be Guinness, there will be plenty of food with a short wait in the restaurant, and I won't have to pay for drinks. :headbang: