Steve Wilson Confirms: I am producing The New Opeth Album

I hope your right but somehow i find hard to imagine an occult album produced and hence influenced by Wilson. I think Wilson are too obsessed with the porcupine sound, IMO very present on D1 and D2. But if Mikael sticks to his plan it would prolly be a mix of Orchid and Still life, awesome :headbang:

Mr. Niel said:

That wasn't even in reference to the fans.. that was in reference to people who constantly "slag off" on Opeth and say it is overhyped, shitty music. The only thing he said about the fans is that they don't do anything differently to please anyone, "not even the fans". That does not mean they don't care about their fans. No band can honestly say that. If they didn't care about their fans, they wouldn't tour, because there would be no point in doing so. Perhaps there are interviews where they directly say this, but that means they're either a) bullshitting or b) are fools for taking the time to arrange and endure tour after tour for people they don't give a shit about. Cite as many interviews as you'd like, but my statement still stands.

Century isn't a big label either... It is a big "metal" label maybe but not a major label nonetheless...

Well since we both seem to have differing opinions on this issue, I'm glad you've been objective enough to criticize without bias :lol:. Thanks Demoke.

'There's a certain degree of musicality and sophistication in Opeth which has NOTHING to do with metal at all...'. C'mon, just admit people, for once you wanted to tear that fucker's heart out in his big leather chair.

honestly i think that still life has the best production of any opeth album. its flawless. why aren't people singing the praises of fredrick nordstrom?

Korlich said:
Deliverance is Opeth´s weakest album, and SW´s gonna do another heavy album, why is this good news???
SW was not that involved in deliverance whatsoever. And it's not their weakest album. You are just their weakest fan.

Moonlapse said:
'There's a certain degree of musicality and sophistication in Opeth which has NOTHING to do with metal at all...'. C'mon, just admit people, for once you wanted to tear that fucker's heart out in his big leather chair.
It's true, and you know it.

I look forward to anything new ... I will never understand how people that like music get stuck in the rut of thinking they are to l33t to appreciate new material.. like they are sooooooo cool because they resist anything but the old stuff...

Bring it on Opeth/Wilson.. I will buy it.

=]

I don’t mind Steven Wilson’s production.

I don’t think that he interferes with the band’s creative process too much. However, he definitely adds something to it -- a certain flavor. It is up to the listener to decide whether that influence is either positive or negative, but I thought that all of the new Opeth records have been great so far. I have to admit that Deliverance was “uninspired” in some areas, but it was still a great record overall. Some of Opeth’s best songs are on Deliverance despite the fact that it may not be as multi-dimensional as Still Life. I think that Deliverance was repetitious in some areas, but that added to the overall atmosphere of the disc. Those riffs that dragged on for two to three minutes were meant to drag on like that. It was all meant to be a part of the listening experience, and sometimes a riff that is repetitious can also be very atmospheric. For example, so many people complain about the last riff in the song Deliverance, but I love that riff, and if you have ever seen the band live then you know that riff it is fucking heavy as hell to hear live. It may be one simple palm mute riff, but there is still a lot going on, and it is still a very atmospheric ending to a song. And what is wrong with the riff at the end of A Fair Judgment? If there was any flaws in Deliverance, then it had to do with the fact that it didn’t really “top” anything. It wasn’t better than My Arms, your hearse and so on. Hell, I don’t even think that it was “heavier” than MAYH, but I guess that is debatable.

I also don’t find it surprising that SW is producing the new Opeth album, since the band seemed to genuinely enjoy working with him and they seemed to appreciate his input. I really don’t think that we have anything to worry about. It’s Opeth. They are a band that is constantly evolving and progressing, which is truly the most important thing here. I would be worried if we ended up getting a ::insert album name here II::, but from the looks of it we are going to get something entirely new.

From Opeth.com:

The band are currently looking into studios in which to record the next (8th!) album. Steven Wilson has already agreed to produce the next observation. Possible time of recording might be early 2005 with a release before the Summer of the same year.

End of discussion, move on...

KevyCanavan said:
selling out is changing your style to please the general buying public, not trying to make an album your fans will like you dumb shit.
that is probably the stupidest thing i have ever heard - you can sell your soul to the shitty cry-baby fans, but not the general public?

KevyCanavan said:
If you don't want to think for yourself go back to the fucking herd.
go back to your little group of pre-pubescent angsty tool fans.

Moonlapse said:
Actualy the man has a point. The sophistication of metal is missing in Opeth. They need to put more intensity into the music... doesnt need to be brutality, just passion in extremity.

And for all the SW production fans... I dont get the big deal about 'great production'...
Why do you think all those black metal bands went out of their way to poorly produce albums? Because the less production quality, the more ATMOSPHERE. Give any of that early Emperor, Darkthrone or Satyricon a spin and you'll see what I mean... if you can get past the fact that it may sound like white noise to your ears.

Orchid and Morningrise definitly had that atmosphere, because they never put too much time or effort into the production. Good production is like a shiny paint on a car... sure it looks good but its whats under bonnet that counts.

Additionaly: Mike's idea of an occult black metal album and having Steve at the helm wouldnt work. It just wouldnt be black if it was well produced, as I've pointed out above.

Yeah, SW and Black Metal are just mutually exclusive. I know when Mike says 'Black Metal' though, he doesn't actually mean it literally, but STILL you'd expect that the atmosphere would be there (especially seeing as Per will probably stay to record with the band) and I just can't see SW's musical direction adding anything to it.

Sure, I realize that its not literaly going to be black as fuck, but all the same, if Steve is going to give it a 'polished production' then we'll be missing out on the essence of black metal, thus defeating the purpose.