Stratovarious Question

Originally posted by Mephistopheles
Where should one start when first getting into this band?

One shouldn't start. ;)

Sorry... I couldn't resist.

I used to own a few of their albums, but quickly jettisonned them. I always thought "Visions" was the most consistant.

Originally posted by JayKeeley
Start with Chosen Ones.

But skip the track "Paradise" each and every time.

:eek: DUDE! that is the best song!

I don't know what you people are talking about, Stratovarius is awesome. Anyways if go to they're official page here and go to videos and download "Speed of light" live that should blow you away. After that get some songs like "Black Diamond" "Against the wind" and others

Originally posted by Wings of a dream
:eek: DUDE! that is the best song!

bleh...the whole 'mankind has to stop dumping on mother earth' routine is about as dated as thrash bands singing about nuclear war. Except that's all Tolkki wants to write about now.

And copying an Iron Maiden riff note for note is not very inventive IMO. I liked Paradise when it was called '22 Acacia Avenue'.

I don't know what you people are talking about, Stratovarius is awesome. Anyways if go to they're official page here and go to videos and download "Speed of light" live that should blow you away. After that get some songs like "Black Diamond" "Against the wind" and others

They are awesome - although I hear Elements sucks ass. That's a shame, after the Tolkki and Kotipelto solo effort disasters.

Speed of Light, Black Diamond etc are all on Chose Ones. Still a good place to start then IMO....

Despite the fact that everyone seems to agree on its crapulence, I think you should wait until you hear Elements before making an opinion on it. I'm a big Stratovarius fan, and while I don't think Elements is their best effort, I do like it.

I love Elements. I think it is a refreshing sound from a band that was starting to really fade after Visions. Nice orchestrations and melodies keeping with the vintage Stratovarius sound. I think it is a great album aside from the first song which sucks!

Originally posted by JayKeeley

bleh...the whole 'mankind has to stop dumping on mother earth' routine is about as dated as thrash bands singing about nuclear war. Except that's all Tolkki wants to write about now.

And copying an Iron Maiden riff note for note is not very inventive IMO. I liked Paradise when it was called '22 Acacia Avenue'.

They are awesome - although I hear Elements sucks ass. That's a shame, after the Tolkki and Kotipelto solo effort disasters.

Speed of Light, Black Diamond etc are all on Chose Ones. Still a good place to start then IMO.... [/B]

yeah they kinda are both the same but nontheless it's an awesome song (awesome lyrics) and there are others good ones too you know (that he didn't copy)

I would pick up the LIVE album "Visions of Europe". That was the first album I picked up from them and it blew me away. Some songs off of this 2CD set sound even better than some of the studio tracks... Just my opinion...

Enjoy.

Hope to see Statovarius at PP3!!

Originally posted by Wings of a dream
yeah they kinda are both the same but nontheless it's an awesome song (awesome lyrics)

WHAT THE...? :eek: You really think the lyrics to Paradise are good? Are we all talking about the same song here?

Late at night I find myself again wondering and watching tv.
I can't believe what's on the screen, something that I wouldn't like to see.
Many rare species will perish soon and we'll be short on food.
Why do we have to be so selfish, we've got to change our attitude.
I know that I am no the only one that's worried,
why don't we all wake up, and realize.
Like the birds in the sky we are flying so high,
without making any kind of sacrifice.
We've got so little time to undo this crime or we'll lose our Paradise.
It seems to me that there's no sense at all, nobody cares it's always the same.
Mother nature's crying out in pain I know we're the one's to blame.

:puke:

Timo Tolkki is a fat bastard as well. He should be castrated for that Hymn to Life crap.

Disclaimer: I do like Stratovarius generally.

Originally posted by LucioArgento
WHAT THE...? :eek: You really think the lyrics to Paradise are good? Are we all talking about the same song here?

Late at night I find myself again wondering and watching tv.
I can't believe what's on the screen, something that I wouldn't like to see.
Many rare species will perish soon and we'll be short on food.
Why do we have to be so selfish, we've got to change our attitude.
I know that I am no the only one that's worried,
why don't we all wake up, and realize.
Like the birds in the sky we are flying so high,
without making any kind of sacrifice.
We've got so little time to undo this crime or we'll lose our Paradise.
It seems to me that there's no sense at all, nobody cares it's always the same.
Mother nature's crying out in pain I know we're the one's to blame.

Disclaimer: I do like Stratovarius generally.

dude you seriously don't have any care for nature.You don't like it because it's not about girls?

Although their lyrics are not spectacular, I think it is REALLY GREAT that they sing about preserving nature, because it is a very important issue and unfortunately there are too many ignorants out there who don't realize that.