Stratovarius annonces new drummer

St Enigma

Sep 11, 2005

From stratovarius.com

Jun 20 2012

Last year Jörg Michael announced his departure from Stratovarius after sixteen years of incredible drumming, countless tours and nine studio albums. Jörg played his final tour with the band in 2011. One of the last concerts in Finland was recorded, and will be released as a Live DVD/Bluray on June 27. It is titled “Under Flaming Winter Skies – Live In Tampere”. Check out a one-song sample of the song “Black Diamond” here: youtube.com/watch?v=-6b_WoY9zaM

It was not easy to find a new drummer who is not only an excellent musician and a cool guy, but also courageous enough trying to fill the big hole Jörg Michael has left.

24 years old Rolf Pilve from Finland is that courageous and gifted drummer.

"Although the competition was fierce, Rolf was clearly the best one of the bunch. His precise playing, sureness and right attitude was there right away. He has an astonishing technique and to top that of he has a very musical way of playing, so he can bring something of his own into our old songs as well. Rolf has played a variety of different styles of metal, so fast tempos or more progressive parts will not be a problem. Whatever songs we might compose in the future – I have no doubt that he will be able to play them.", says singer Timo Kotipelto, commenting on the new drummer’s abilities.

Music has been Rolf's passion since early childhood. He got his first drum set at the age of eight and his teachers include Jukka Arola, Heikki Malmberg, Kai Hahto and Ari Isotalo. His broad-based musical roots can be heard in his playing and it is possible to meet Rolf from local jazz-clubs to big metal festivals.

At the moment, Rolf is active as a freelancer musician and drum teacher. His greatest sources are Tony Williams, Jim Black, Elvin Jones, Joey Baron, Ari Hoenig, Roy Haynes, Frank Zappa, John Coltrane and John Zorn.

Despite of his young age Rolf Pilve plays/has played and worked with a wide range of different genre metal bands: Solution.45, Miseration, Timo Tolkki, Code For Silence, Status Minor, Beyond The Dream, Dreamtale, Sightless, and a number of other bands & projects.

Rolf is an exellent drummer with a very wide range of music styles in his command. He has got chops to steer Stratovarius into even more proggish style, especailly when they have moved to that direction on their previous post-Tolkki-era CDs.

I recommend any of you into progmetal to check out Status Minor with Rolf.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think for the first time in years I am really excited about the new strato album.