Stupid question about over-compression

Tommy Evans

Jul 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I'd post a clip but I'm not able to right now. So I'll explain the best I can.

I know my track is over compressed because I can hear pumping slightly, especially in the cymbals. My question to you guys is how do I remove the pump? I'm compressing at 2.2:1 with a 30ms attack and a 100ms release. The input gain is 5db and the output gain is also 5db.

How do?

I usually prefer longer attack times around 30-50ms and short release time around 10ms (or sometimes even less). I then use an additional limiter to limit the attack only, which gives you a very clean sound with this comp+limiter chain. Keep in mind this all depends on the material and style. Just try playing around with your release and attack times. I'm sure you will find an appropriate setting.

PS: If you can't quite get the even compression you want without too much coloration and or hearing the compressor work too much, try using two compressors in chain, both compressing very lightly.

Edit: I misread your post and thought you were talking about compression on drums or overheads.

How much gain reduction are you applying?

Your mix is probably pumping because of too much low end triggering the compression - you're just hearing it in the cymbals because they're providing a constant wash of mids and highs, which make it easier to notice. Either filter out the excess lows or use a high-passed sidechain to trigger the compressor and you should be good - what compressor are you using anyway?

Thanks everyone for the quick help, much appreciated. I'll try to answer the questions that have been asked.

@Skinny Viking, thats what I was thinking too, guess I just needed a second opinion lol.

@BLUElightCory I dont know how much GR im pulling, thats something I forgot to look at before i closed the session.

The genre is Metalcore/Post Hardcore, aka happy two step riffs followed by beatdown breakdowns.

thanks again everybody who chimed in, I'll experiment with the advice given and report back!

How much gain reduction are you applying?

Your mix is probably pumping because of too much low end triggering the compression - you're just hearing it in the cymbals because they're providing a constant wash of mids and highs, which make it easier to notice. Either filter out the excess lows or use a high-passed sidechain to trigger the compressor and you should be good - what compressor are you using anyway?

+1

For master bus compression I usually go with a really slow attack and superfast release and only compress a tiny bit so it all gets glued together. With a long attack it doesn't start compressing very much, and then it doesn't pump a lot either.

But to remove the pumping but with similar settings, idk. You can try upping the release a bit, lowering the threshold or input gain, even increasing the attack might make it pump less.

Listen and move the knobs! There's never a substitute for that.

Thanks everyone for your help! I think I found a good point here. I ended up putting the Input Gain back to 0db, put the Output gain to Auto. Then I set the Attack at 25ms and the Release at 3ms and it def helped smooth things out and take away the pump. Here's where I'm at right now:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52578704/BigBootyHoesmix2.mp3

Just for future reference, you should be paying more attention to the amount of gain reduction than what the input gain setting is. The ideal input gain setting will always vary depending on the source material. If you're using a compressor with a set threshold (like an 1176 style comp) just adjust the input gain until you get the gain reduction you're looking for. Then adjust the output gain so that the volume is the same as when the compressor is bypassed.

If you're talking about 2-bus compression, the more balanced your mix is the more compression you can have on the 2-bus, I'd start by checking if you have any extraneous subs in any elements of the mix, then by making sure the kick and bass are sitting where they need to.

With the settings you posted you should be able to get up to 5-6dB (that's pretty extreme) of reduction before it starts to shit itself.

So if 5-6db of reduction is extreme, should I be shooting for 2-3db? Up until now GR was not something I gave a shit about as long as the mix sounded smooth. But I feel like I'm being shown a light now lol and have more experimenting to do.

So if 5-6db of reduction is extreme, should I be shooting for 2-3db? Up until now GR was not something I gave a shit about as long as the mix sounded smooth. But I feel like I'm being shown a light now lol and have more experimenting to do.

Sure, I'd say 2-4 dB is pretty normal, but you can go lighter or heavier if it works for the song.

Definitely watch the gain reduction meter, as it is literally showing you the amount of compression you're applying to the signal. Use your ears first though.

for 2 bus compression, yeah I usually shoot for no more than 2db gr and then I might fiddle around with it to see how it sounds at 3 or even 4 (at most). Typically if everything within the mix itself is properly set/compressed/etc you shouldn't really need much more than 2 db