Sybreed... impressive

Jan 27, 2012
A band I have missed on. Has a bit of melodeth feel but has a fresh take on it, crunchy, progressive, good stuff. Very good clean/heavy vox from one guy, like Speed can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love these guys, my favorite band. So unique and underrated. I'm hoping they hit the states in support of their new album.

I'm a big fan of this kind of industrial metal (Mnemic being my fave). Sybreed is pretty decent, the singer's nasally cleans sometimes bug me though.

I'm a big fan of this kind of industrial metal (Mnemic being my fave). Sybreed is pretty decent, the singer's nasally cleans sometimes bug me though.

I listened to Mnemic a lot for about 3 months and then it just stopped doing it for me. I'm not sure why, but something about the writing or the delivery just doesn't hitch up right for me anymore.

Sybreed, on the other hand, does it right. Not too much industrial, and a ton of balls and chunk. Love these guys.

Just checked these guys out based on their ranking as your #1 CD of 2012. Nice pick. I'm totally digging this disc. Cheers.

:kickass:

Thanks Zod! That means a lot coming from you....lol. I know you've said in the past that you can be picky about what you do and don't like. :kickass:

One of the few bands on my Prog Power wish list
they definitely fit the bill for Glenn's oddball band
IMO they took a great sound I really like(electronic cyber "thrash")that Fear Factory has been doing since 1992 and added more atmosphere and ambience...and a little of the Scandinavian style with the growlies,and made a better version of this style...
The New CD is just as good as the last 3...

I know Glenn lurks and I rarely make requests
Sybreed for ProgPower 2014

I know you've said in the past that you can be picky about what you do and don't like.
I would definitely say that remains true. However, I suspect it's true of most folks who have been listening to this genre a long time. The more you listen, the less that stands out.

Just curious, which disc of theirs would you say is their best?

Never cared for them. I always much preferred Raunchy, ESPECIALLY the latest one which was impossible for me to put down.

I would definitely say that remains true. However, I suspect it's true of most folks who have been listening to this genre a long time. The more you listen, the less that stands out.

I like their first, and (though I don't own it yet) their newest the most. Their third album, for me, was a little too chill.

Never cared for them. I always much preferred Raunchy, ESPECIALLY the latest one which was impossible for me to put down.

Something about that keyboard tone is horrible to me. Too much cheese, I think.

That's a really hard question, as I honestly like all of them the same for different reasons. But if I had to pick just one, I would probably say their second album Antares. Dirk Verbeuren's drumming alone is worth the listen IMO. Antares is more atmospheric and had a lot of clean vocals compared to the first album Slave Design which was more in the Fear Factory/Meshuggah vein (still a great album though). The third album The Pulse of Awakening took me a long time to get into, but I love it now. When I first heard it, I didn't really care for it too much as it was so different than their first two. But after not listening to it for a year or so, I picked it back up and had a newfound appreciation for it. The newest album combines the best elements of the first three and I would say is their most well balanced overall.

Here are my two faves from Antares:

Sickest drumming you will ever hear on this one!

My faves from Slave Design:

My faves from The Pulse Of Awakening:

Something about that keyboard tone is horrible to me. Too much cheese, I think.

They don't take themselves very seriously, and do alot of tongue in cheek things with their music. For example, they incorporate alot of dance music elements into their songs.

They don't take themselves very seriously, and do alot of tongue in cheek things with their music. For example, they incorporate alot of dance music elements into their songs.

Ah. Yeah I could hear the dance influence. It's always kinda nice to see/hear bands that are just having fun.