Tesla/Cartman & Shooting Star!

Kai-Guy

May 8, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
What do these three things have in commom?? Well, nothing really!! I just thought I would check and see if anyone is up for the new Tesla release tomorrow (10/7) --I'm diggin' the couple tunes I've heard! Or the new South park dvd release featuring Cartman called "The Cult Of Cartman"! He's pretty much the shit!!
As far as Shoothing Star--well, I'm of the 40 something crowd and really dug (and still do) these guys!!! I think they should headline PP some year!! haha! I would be there!!! I'm off to listen to them now!
Happy week everyone & I can't wait until PPX!!!! :headbang:

Is that a new Shooting Star? I saw them in 80 or 81 for the "Hang On For Your Life" Tour....I think that was the first Loopfest, or possibly the 2nd....those were the days.
New Tesla is SMOKIN', IMO.....

As far as Shoothing Star--well, I'm of the 40 something crowd and really dug (and still do) these guys!!! I think they should headline PP some year!! haha! I would be there!!! I'm off to listen to them now!

I can't see them at PPUSA, but maybe Rocklahoma or something.

"Last Chance" was a superb song, one of those truly attention-grabbing progressive rock-radio 'chestnuts' that sounded so different from all of the stale stuff you typically heard on rock radio. Billy Thorpe's "Children of the Sun" is another song like that. (May he r.i.p.)

I can't see them at PPUSA, but maybe Rocklahoma or something.

"Last Chance" was a superb song, one of those truly attention-grabbing progressive rock-radio 'chestnuts' that sounded so different from all of the stale stuff you typically heard on rock radio. Billy Thorpe's "Children of the Sun" is another song like that. (May he r.i.p.)

Loved BOTH Songs....add Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe to that list, Axe - Rock and Roll party in the Streets, The Sherbs- No Turning Back, Saga - On The Loose, Rossington Collins Band - Dont Misunderstand Me, New England - Dont Ever Wanna Lose Ya, Orion The Hunter - So You Ran, 707 - Megaforce and to a lesser degree Frida - I KNow there's Something going On and Blanket of Secrecy - Say You Will....All classic Tunes

Tommy? Original Shooting Star lineup was (IIRC):

Van McClain, Charles Waltz, Bill Guffey, Gary West, Ron Verlin, & Steve Thomas. Were you thinking of Tesla, or am I MAJORLY wrong/confused?

:)

Yeah, someone's confused. Shooting Star has never played Rocklahoma (I'd have been there if it happened).

Shooting Star still has the original guitarist (1/2 of the songwriting team), bassist, and drummer. New singer, violinist, and keyboardist. They still rock.

If anyone's a big enough fan to want to know what's going on with the band, joining http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ssmaniac is the way to do it. It's a mailing list of about 200 of us diehards (aka Maniacs) and several of the band members.

They're still putting out new albums and playing shows every summer, mainly in the Midwest (they are based in Kansas City). This summer they started doing a CD on Demand recording of every show.

They've been my favorite band since I was 8 years old (thank God for older brothers!). It's weird to see them talked about on the ProgPower boards ;)

Any other questions: I'm sure I can answer them :)

I about crapped a brick when I found the first 2 albums on a 2 on 1 cd.
Great band! Sorry to hear that they really didn't play Rocklahoma....
You'd be amazed at what bands might come up in threads around here from time to time... :)

Yeah, the first two albums did it for me!!! Their latest 'Circles' is pretty good along with 'Leap of Faith' from a few years ago!! They also have a dvd from I believe '02 which is very good!!! I've always had a soft spot for them--and as alot of people have said--they were VERY underated!!!

Here are a couple of my favorite tunes from their first cd!!!
"You've Got What I need"

"Tonight"

...and here is 'Last Chance' from '02!!!

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
I *think * I have some pictures when I saw them in the early 80's. This thread has inspired me enough to make an attempt to find them this weekend. Stay tuned, I was up close, IIRC, and the 110 camera I was using actually worked ok.....

The only thing I know about Shooting Star is that a local Chicago guy is their singer now (I think). Ron Platt, formerly of Chicago-area tribute band, Arra.

Were they the band that did Journey/REO/Night Ranger covers? I've been out of touch with the Chicago scene, but I seem to remember seeing them somewhat frequently back when I lived in IL. I think the last time was at Easy Street/Club Metropolis in Glenview....