thanks for the In Vain reco - this disc kicks ass

I was gonna order the EP's after hearing The Latter Rain, but totally forgot about it.

Should do that this weekend, actually.

I contacted them about the EPs. They want $10 shipping + $15 for both EPs (combined price). If we're both gonna order them, maybe we can get them to cut on shipping costs and one or the other can pick up their copies from the other guy, since we live relatively close and all.

Let me know if you want me to look into that.

Wow, dang, this is good. Production is a bit too "electronic" and the style doesn't seem like anything especially personal, but the riffs and melodies are what counts. I don't hear too much Borknagar/Arcturus in there, since this is a lot chunkier and more death metal-ish, but the "Back To Times Of Splendor" comparison mentioned earlier is probably a good one. Not that I'm ready to put this anywhere in that league yet. But if it did end up there, wouldn't that pretty much make Kristiansand, Norway (pop. 77840) the city with the world's highest density of musical genius? Look what it's already produced:

Omnio
Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Skiftninger
1/2 of The Linear Scaffold

(ok, maybe it's just anything that Jan K. Transeth touches...)

Neil

Wow, dang, this is good. Production is a bit too "electronic" and the style doesn't seem like anything especially personal, but the riffs and melodies are what counts.

Right. It's very polished and actually I wish it was more chunky and gritty sounding. A few more guitar layers or something, but the music is SO good, this becomes a minor quibble.

I don't hear too much Borknagar/Arcturus in there, since this is a lot chunkier and more death metal-ish, but the "Back To Times Of Splendor" comparison mentioned earlier is probably a good one.

It's pretty eclectic -- leaping into trumpet sections and wot not -- and so it's hard to nail down a suitable comparison, which is a good thing I suppose.

Take one song: "Det Rakner". The main riff sounds like something off of ENSLAVED's Isa. In that same song, you get these fantastic clean vocal melodies reminiscent of Garm or ICS Vortex which is why BORKNAGAR or ARCTURUS comparisons might be drawn. Then there's a whole spoken section sampled from some preacher/evangelist, and the song then just fucking bleeds into this violin/piano set piece outro.... *goosebumps*

This is life metal feculence. In the Midnight Hour is the capstone to the album, then the tide of emotion quickly avalanches towards a pseudo prog metal abortion. Somebody find the pro-life faggots who let this album reach the third trimester of production and tong their ovaries. Ill-conceived, forced, pasted together in piecemeal fashion. Might as well have thrown in some breakdowns to keep all the kiddies happy. The samples spliced in to Det Rakner! are cringe inducing. While the closing track Sorgenfri does a great job of covering Vitamin C's "As We Go On." Seriously WTF!?!?