The early works of Ronnie James Dio (1957-1975)

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
By the time Ronnie James Dio joined Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, he had already been recording for 17 years! His first single release was "Conquest/Lover" in 1958 as Ronnie and the Red Caps.

Many people are unaware of Ronnie James Dio's long... looooong career in music... much longer than just Rainbow-onward. It may come as a shock to many that are familiar with his metal career that he has dabbled in a number of rock/pop styles from the 50s-early 70s. I wonder if his career was an inspiration for "This is Spinal Tap", which shows Spinal Tap at different points in time performing psychadelic, Beatlesque pop and other "arcane" styles.

Ronnie's bands in his early years included Ronnie and the Redcaps, Ronnie and the Prophets, Electric Elves, The Elves and finally Elf... an early 70s boogie-rock outfit that released a few great records before being absorbed by Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. Ronnie had many single releases during these years, ranging from doo-wop to Dean Martin-esque balladeering to hippie folk rock. It is truly stunning to hear the range of expression Dio exhibited back then.

Here is a link to a fantastic website devoted solely to Dio's early work through Elf. It features many mp3's of his early recordings. You can hear Ronnie on stuff like "I Left My Heart in San Francisco", "Great Balls of Fire" and "Stay With Me".

http://www.dimwhit.com/dio/index.html

Some of my favorite early Dio works include "Amber Velvet", "Wake Up Sunshine" and "Smile For Me Lady".

Ronnie and the Red Caps
prophets_c.jpg

RonnieDio.jpg

page7-1015-full.jpg

caps5.jpg

page7-1016-full.jpg

Ronnie and the Prophets
prophetstux.jpg

page7-1002-full.jpg

page7-1005-full.jpg

say_youre_mine_again_cdn_3.jpg

The Elves
page7-1007-full.jpg

page7-1008-full.jpg

I really don't want to know what kind of music Dio was doing in the late '50s and early '60s.