The Gathering

Dec 8, 2005
Brazil
Hi nice fellas of the kata forum...well, i want you guys to recommend the best gathering albums...so far i have ''Mandylion'' and ''If then else'' and i really dig'em, anneke's voice is pure class, and the musicians of the band are masters of subtle melancholy, really beautiful...
From the album ''Souvenirs'' i heard the track ''Broken glass'' and loved it!! really trip-rock sounding, but i don't know if the rest of the songs keep up with the same quality...and what about ''sleepy buildings''? is it good? any other suggestions?
thanks!!

"souvenirs" is great, indeed!
"sleepy buildings" is a semi-acoustic live album, including both new & old material... i enjoyed some songs almost better than their studio counterparts! very nice album as well.
my favourite one is nighttime birds though...
i'd also recommend "accessories-rarities and b-sides", a double cd full of unreleased material, live and demo recordings, some cover songs (among which the beautiful slowdive's "when the sun hits":dopey: )... but probably you should first hear all the original versions before listening to this... so, my advice is: get the full discography and you won't be disappointed:p

almost all the songs are even better on sleepy buildings than the album versions. 'saturnine', 'travel' and 'like fountains' kill me.

albumwise souvenirs is their best, i think.

Well, i´ll definitely get souvenirs then, people say that "how to measure a planet?" is great but a bit "samey" if you know what i mean...and derberer, i heard the saturnine and eleanor versions off "sleepy buildings". killer, killer versions...thanks guys!!!

the new album, Home, is enjoyable, but except for a couple songs it didn't really hit me. my expectations were so high after souvenirs.
they are also great to see live. rene rutten and anneke perform so well on stage. in the concert, i floated off to somewhere else when they were playing the last 4 minutes of 'Travel'.

ahh the gathering... well i would recommend the post-doom-death era records, with anneke... i specially like "how to measure a planet?" as it has some radiohead influences and long trippy songs, but it feels almost as conceptual since a lot of songs sound alike..though for me it gives it a good flow... and some heavy rockers on there too... travel is magnificent. home im not very fond of, guess i have to give it more spins.. souvenirs is great, a life all mine, and if you can get a hold of the black light district ep, the title track is an 18minute song but it passes so fast you dont feel its been that long. debris is heavy, and the piano version of broken glass is just heartbreaking!!! oh mandilyon and nighttime birds are both heavy and very solid... i guess it's a "get them all" thing!! hehe sorry for rambling....

rescue me!!!!

How To Measure A Planet? is their best, the end to the last 5 tracks (on disc 1) are amazing. I didnt like the album at all at first but it has become one of my favourites of all time! i also had a big expectation for Home and was really dissapointed when i first heard it but now i litteraly cant stop listening to it, i play the album on repeat loads everyday, i cant get enough of it. deffinately one of their best

Nightime Birds is a beautiful album, although for me not so good as Mandylion and How to Measure a Planet is amazing, but I don´t like If Then Else that much, except for two, three songs, Amity is an amazing song....but how is the new album like...I didn´t get it yet...

After souvenirs, i'll get sleepy buildings,cause the new versions are awesome and it doesn't feature any songs from souvenirs, due to label problems i think?...Century media is a label that is directed to the metal market, good change for The Gathering definitely.
I'll check out ''home'' too, so far i read good reviews about it.