The Knowing Re-issue

Apr 17, 2006
USA
Hi guys! Any news on The Knowing remixed and remastered re-issue CD? I know you spoke about it awhile back when you had the first couple albums being re-released, but I haven't heard anything about it since. Are The End Records dragging their feet (just like they are with the final part of the Requiem trilogy Virgin Black is releasing)? :ill:

It's not a fault of The End Records, really, it has more to do with proper timing and making sure that when it's done, it's done correctly and to our liking. We did the re-issues last year of the first 2 cds, and then wound up pushing up the release of the DVD a bit sooner to coincide with summer and our European dates, etc. After that we wound up focusing hard on creating "Into Night's Requiem Infernal", and now of course all energies are being directed towards the preparation and promotion of that upcoming new cd. So hopefully sometime soon we can make the time to delve into "The Knowing" and get it ready for release (which most likely won't be until later in the year or so, wintertime I'm guessing).

We really want to put some time and effort into making it something cool and not just a plain re-release of the original cd. The wait will hopefully have been worth it once all is said and done.

Also I want to mention that we take people's budgets and buying restraints into consideration when planning this stuff, too. 2008 saw alot of ND product for sale (2 re-issues, DVD, etc.), and we didn't want to overload or overwhelm people with it by adding yet another disc.

We actually spoke on this re-release in our last label meeting, and the tentative release will be around January. So, this is something we will begin to work on on the next few months. The plan at the moment is to completely re-mix the entire CD, updating the sound. I know a lot of people really love the original, and since it's out of print, who knows... Maybe we'll end up releasing it as a double CD, with the original release, and the re-mix. We'll see...

I hope people who liked the original would be happy to hear a remix. One thing I remember hearing quite alot back when the cd was newer, was that people loved the disc but were unhappy about some of the mix issues. While I still think it's a pretty damn decent sounding cd especially for a small underground release, I would definitely like to see some of those mix problems fixed.

Funny you say that the cd is under-rated, Jason. There's alot of fans and critics out there who will still claim that "The Knowing" was the best thing we ever did! We got alot of really good reviews for that one, in fact. I think it doesn't get discussed too much these days because the cd is hard to find and the newer ND fans just haven't heard it as much. Hopefully the re-release will rectify that somewhat.

The one thing I can say is... I have gotten a general idea of how the band felt about The Knowing. It should be the last re-issue, and it should also be the one given the most care, so to speak, so that it does sound how everyone wanted to hear it originally. It's a great album and to compare the two would be challenging to my ears, considering the dynamics and the sound that I remember hearing for the first time when I initially purchased the cd. Also, A new cd cover + a new shirt would be cool, considering my original The Knowing shirt is almost as old as my To Welcome The Fade long sleeve, which I still wear.

Funny you say that the cd is under-rated, Jason. There's alot of fans and critics out there who will still claim that "The Knowing" was the best thing we ever did! We got alot of really good reviews for that one, in fact. I think it doesn't get discussed too much these days because the cd is hard to find and the newer ND fans just haven't heard it as much. Hopefully the re-release will rectify that somewhat.

Exactly. I agree totally.
I am sure it would be held in higher regard if it were easier to find.

I didn't realize The Knowing was that difficult to find. It was the first CD I ever bought from ND, and it's still one of the greatest. 9 times out of 10, I can't tell the differences between remixed stuff and the originals (Remastered yes, remixed, not really). But heck, if it gets more ND product out there...and if there's extra stuff I can get from it...I'm all for it!