The New Album Thread

Argh, the rental place I deal with sent like 4 trucks of equipment to Miami for some kind of cruise, so the amp I was going to get was on a boat somewhere. That's OK though, I have plenty to do and can re-arrange the schedule accordingly, to not lose any time.

Sucks man, I feel for ya! "A Manifesto For Domination" has taken about 3 years to record, and I just finally delivered the last bunch of tracks to James for mixdown last week. I'm just praying I don't have to re-record anything again..... Shout out if there's anything in particular you need that I might be able to let you borrow, my studio is decently stocked. Looking forward to the show on 2/17, that will be a good b-day for me! Later on....

JB

Hi Guys--
Man, it sure is cool to finally hear these albums kind of coming together! In one sense, it would have been awesome to release one big monster double album, but the only real advantage to that is the fact that it’s cool from an artistic standpoint. Otherwise, it doesn’t make much sense--you run the risk of bombarding people with too much material and having some stuff fall through the cracks. I like my idea of releasing them a year apart, and I hope that’s the way it ends up happening. Besides, each of the albums has sort of a distinct personality in my mind, so they work well as separate entities. This is a generalization, but it kinda seems to me that the second album has certain songs that represent everything Theocracy is, and then other songs that show different sides of us (this one is more aggressive, this one is more acoustic-based, etc.). The third album seems to have more songs that are kinda to-the-point, concise representations of what we do. To put it another way, I’d have a hard time picking a single from the new album because a lot of the songs lean in one direction or another, but I can think of 3 or 4 songs from the third album that would make great singles. Don’t let that scare you; I don’t at all mean that there’s a bunch of stuff out of left field on album 2 or that album 3 is full of 3-minute radio songs, because that’s not even remotely true. Every moment sounds like Theocracy, and nothing is forced or contrived. I’m just trying to tell kind of how it looks (in a very over-generalized way) from my perspective.

I think a lot of people probably think the album’s taking so long because I’m some weird perfectionist recluse who can never be satisfied, but it’s really just been the huge learning curve. To go from never having recorded a live drum kit a couple of years ago to getting the drum sounds we got on this album...well, it’s nothing short of a miracle. That, plus all the very intensive editing that goes on on an album like this, added up to about 5 or 6 years of experience that I had to cram into 2 years, all while writing the songs and working a full-time job. There was no shortcut, just very, very hard work and endless hours learning and experimenting. So 75% of the reason it’s taken so long has just been the learning curve. I’m so happy to report that that part of it is finally over, and it came out great! There’s still a lot of work to do, but from here on out, it’s all stuff I’ve done before, so I can just knock this thing out (Lord-willing)! No more learning curve...now it’s finally just "get the job done," and that makes me VERY happy. :)

We’re finally working on getting an official MySpace page up and running, so look for that soon. I’ll also put some more new music online for you guys to check out soon.

God bless and thanks for your patience!!

Sucks man, I feel for ya! "A Manifesto For Domination" has taken about 3 years to record, and I just finally delivered the last bunch of tracks to James for mixdown last week. I'm just praying I don't have to re-record anything again..... Shout out if there's anything in particular you need that I might be able to let you borrow, my studio is decently stocked. Looking forward to the show on 2/17, that will be a good b-day for me! Later on....

JB

Thanks bro, I appreciate it!

Good luck!

You might also consider fixing the link to the forum on theocracymusic.com/interactive.php :)

Thanks for being so involved with us Matt, it's really awesome how you update us like this. I didn't know that you've been working on the third one at the same time, that's really exciting to know. I can't wait to hear your new stuff, I'll be keeping Theocracy in my prayers.

So I'm right this moment listening to The Writing In The Sand from my ProgPower sampler of last year.

For those of you that haven't heard this song, let me just say: it is possibly better than anything on the first album. AND I LOVE THE FIRST ALBUM! If this song is indicative of the whole album, prepare to be blown away!

Just a little update (OK, maybe it's more of a tease) for everyone. I've had the honor to hear a few songs from the next album. As you can see from my earlier post, that was one song that I thought was "possibly better than anything on the first album". Since then, I have heard a song that IS hands-down better than anything on the first album.

Friends, prepare yourself. This is gonna be unreal. It'll be worth the wait, guaranteed!

found out about this band last month, im pretty amazed and quite the fan i must say!
wut stage is the new album on currently?

Haha, thanks for the plug, Jason.

Things are going well; very, very busy at the moment. This is the first time in what seems like FOREVER that I’ve actually been enjoying the process, because now that I’m recording vocals, etc., it actually feels like I’m working on an album again, instead of the tedium of editing, etc. Jon came down yesterday and recorded a great solo for “Absolution Day,” and I’m trying to finish up the vocals for that one this week. That’s one of my favorite songs from this album, and I can’t wait to see how it comes out. Only two more songs to sing after that! Of course, one of them is pretty epic so it may take awhile. :)

3 pages ago:

Yeah, my goal is to have it out in plenty of time for ProgPower, but it almost entirely depends on the label situation.

Good thing you didn't mention which ProgPower ;)

Any news on the album? Maybe an extra song preview... :cool:

So, I dont know if this has been answered already in a different section, but when the new ablum comes out, are we going to purchase it off the main website direct from the basment of Matt or is there a larger distribution company of some sort.

ps. if you can't tell, i know close to nothing about cd distribution.

Hey Guys--
Sorry I've been so quiet around here lately. There are some potential good things in the works, so please keep us in your prayers. I'm on schedule to finish the last of the rhythm guitars this weekend, so I'll try to get some video up.
We sent out some press kits with three new songs to labels, and we already have some interest, so that's exciting. Obviously I can't say much more right now, but pray that things will work out and we'll end up where we need to be. This is obviously hugely important, and will affect everything from how easy it is to find the new album to tours to the future of the band in general.
There's more big news coming up soon, so stay tuned.

Thanks and God bless,

Im definately looking forward to seeing how everything comes together with the new Album and Theocracy's future. :saint: I know anything with Theocracy's name on it is going to be awesome.

Thanks for letting us know what's happening Matt. I hope the album will be out this year!

Hopefully you'll have some good news in the label department! ...Who knows? - this time next year Theocracy could be opening for Symphony X or the like?...hehehe....:)