The no digital camera rule.....

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
If I piss off Glenn.... fine.......

I have been a GB holdetr for years. It pisses me off that "he" decides to punish John for something Jeff does. I will gladly pay an additional $10 for some people to look for bootleggers, but I will be dammed if I will attend the event without the same rights I was offered at the start.
Some people like myself really live for this event. The digital camera is the best way to capture the events. Fuck you Glenn !!

Bryant

Hopefully Glenn will rethink things, or at least consider other alternatives in regards to the no digital camera policy. I agree that by and large it hurts the good paying customer more than anything.

Britt

Let me say this. I have been considering all my options and will continue to explore them. The ban stays in place until I find a way to eliminate bootlegging. This is for the health of the festival as the bands will not play if they know they there is a potential to be bootlegged (and it IS happening). I am open to ideas and criticism, but think it through. Do I keep a band like Blind Guardian or do I keep digital cameras?

Bryant can find another festival to attend and another forum to hang out on as he has been banned. This has nothing to do with his or anyone's thoughts toward my camera policy. I work too hard to be told "fuck you" in my own house in front of my family.

Please note that a spot on the gold badge roster has opened up and I will be contacting someone on the reserve list soon.

Glenn H.

There are far more tactful ways of getting your message across. I thought we were all adults here, and were able to convey thoughts without swearing... guess not. If Glenn decides its so, its so. Hell, if he told everyone that all males in attendace had to bring a pink purse, you better believe Id be at the store the next day shopping for one. Its his show, and his rules. Don't like it? Lump it.

Edit: Lol, well I guess I type slow. Looks like its been taken care of.

Wow Bryant...you were really harsh on Glenn. I would assume that a point and shoot or non digital (35mm) cameras would still be allowed as these cannot shoot video. I think you flew off the handle a bit to soon.........

wait wait wait... so point-and-shoot digitals are okay? I thought it was ALL digital cameras that were banned? Just asking for clarity's sake... not that it matters to me, personally... I always forget to bring mine anyway ;)

Man this is such bad news. I was just thinking the same thing, this last year was my first progpower and I read the message in the book that Glenn made about contacting security if spotting a bootlegger and when I found out these cameras were banned, it drew so much excitement because digital you can zoom in and take pictures of the band. And take as many pictures with bands at the meet and greet as you can, and see them before to make sure they came out. I'm not so fond of normal cameras but atleast those normal ones are still allowed, I guess it's better than nothing.
Bryant should not have said those things to Glenn but to the people who caused this. :Shedevil:

I agree that a digital-camera ban sucks. I think a band that's going to be that anal about the *possibility* of being bootlegged might ought to re-think playing live or even recording CDs. I mean, those can be copied. :p

Anyway, surely if we all put our heads together, we can come up with an alternative.

lady_space said:
I agree that a digital-camera ban sucks. I think a band that's going to be that anal about the *possibility* of being bootlegged might ought to re-think playing live or even recording CDs. I mean, those can be copied. :p

Anyway, surely if we all put our heads together, we can come up with an alternative.
i agree, and i think bryant was rude, but i'll miss his posts.

Empress said:
Bryant should not have said those things to Glenn but to the people who caused this. :Shedevil:

100% Correct. How anyone could possibly think that Glenn is intentionally trying to screw his loyal patrons is completely beyond me. His main interest first and foremost is doing everything in his power to ensure that the highest quality Progressive and Powerful bands continue to play the most well run, best organized and simply greatest metal festival in the country. The blood, sweat and tears he has shed over the last 6-7 years have been for us and no one else.

The @#$%@#@ morons and assholes who have taken advantage of Glenn's hospitality in past years are the ones to blame. Direct any anger over this policy at them. End of story.

Wkdchylde said:
As far as I can tell, copyright laws try to address two things: the copyright owner’s financial interests, and his interest in controlling the way the material is used.
and as far as I can tell, these systems are ineffective at preventing such things in a large sense, which is what she was pointing out. If it can be heard, it can be copied. visuals are harder because 'no camera' rules do help stop that, but there will always be people who find ways around it.

Ah... that's the funny thing though. UNLESS the person is being paid to take pictures, the picture (and the rights to the picture) belongs to them... unless it's a private event.

HOWEVER, if a person is HIRED to take images of something, the person doing the shooting loses copyrights. Unless it's a portrait studio type of thing... Of course there are other loopholes and things, but that's the jist of it.

-Metal

Dark One said:
100% Correct. How anyone could possibly think that Glenn is intentionally trying to screw his loyal patrons is completely beyond me. His main interest first and foremost is doing everything in his power to ensure that the highest quality Progressive and Powerful bands continue to play the most well run, best organized and simply greatest metal festival in the country. The blood, sweat and tears he has shed over the last 6-7 years have been for us and no one else.

The @#$%@#@ morons and assholes who have taken advantage of Glenn's hospitality in past years are the ones to blame. Direct any anger over this policy at them. End of story.
I couldn't have put that better myself. Yeah it would be nice to still be able to use them, but not if it means that we'll get a 3rd rate lineup!

Hmmmmm
I have an idea,but it would suck for the 90% of the people not up front,
why not sell disposable cameras at the venue

(OK,this is a gay idea,but it is an idea,I think)

Yeah, I agree that bootleggers will always have ways and come up with new ways to get video, sound, pics, copy and rip CDs and DVDs, etc...but to give up means that Glenn will have to give up on the festival as well. I'm quite sure that he won't continue if he can't give us out money's worth in quality bands and venue! I DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN! At least the bands are still cool with film cameras and remember that Glenn said that we can still bring those cameras.

Nice job Bryant, maybe next time you will think before you type. I agree that it sucks to not have the Digital option but as I look back when I was taking pictures with my 35MM, they are just as good, but they are a bitch to have to have put on CD and whatnot with the processing. Oh well, Glenn has the final say,bottom line. Cry a River, Build a bridge, get over it :)

Bear :loco:

BTW I am looking for a really good 35mm