THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is everyone here saying Moore is less? *snickers*

AWESOME!!! HIGH FIVE
.......................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

SIKE!

pwnzrd

Jean-Luc's head has been rubbed for wishes.

I think I'm going the rewatch the first two seasons of TNG now.

302zf0.jpg

Dear Dream Theater, your new album (while all-together better than the heap of scrap that we have come to know as "Octavarium") is completely predictable and utterly devoid of emotion or proper care of songs.

I understand that there are some "rocking" crunch sections that allow you, Mr. Petrucci, to place your leg up on those completely necessary black boxes surrounding your pedals and bob your head like a seal, but I notice you playing nothing new on guitar. Except for Joe Satriani's "War" during the solo bridge of "Constant Motion", which, although technically new when played by YOUR fingers, is exceedingly old for those of us who enjoy listening to a song the FIRST time it is written (and by the original writer, no less).

I agree that alcoholism is a terrible addiction, Mr. Portnoy, and I fully support you in your strive to kick the habit and tell the world what it feels like to be under the control of a destructive substance. I only ask, however, that you acknowledge the fact that continuing your story of redemption on Dream Theater albums has also become a destructive substance. If I wanted to hear five minutes of talking (in which the words are too low in the mix to comprehend anyway) I would step in to an elevator.

Believe me, Mr. LaBrie, I know that you are in a quote/unquote "metal" band, and that the pressures of trying to sound aggressive are strong. However, the sound that comes out of your throat is already painful enough without you distorting it and trying to sound like the hybrid child of Dave Mustaine and James Hetfield. Please remember that your voice, although never to be considered pleasant, was at least tuneful once.

Mr. Myung and Mr. Ruddess, all I can ask is that you please comprehend the "less is more" policy, and implement it as often as possible. We all know that you can play 763 notes in 4 seconds, but can you play 763 notes in 763 seconds? The world wants to know.

As for the lack of emotion, cookie-cutter, non-inspired sound of (to be honest) the entire album, I ask that you all collectively re-listen to your back catalog. For easy reference points, please see "Lines in the Sand", "Pull Me Under", and "Take The Time". If possible, try and listen without repeating.

Pick up your instruments, take three years off, and actually write an album, rather than churning out another piece of your own (and often multiple other band's) recycled music.

Sincerely,
- Your Non-Contented, Not-Really-Fan

Dear Dream Theater, your new album (while all-together better than the heap of scrap that we have come to know as "Octavarium") is completely predictable and utterly devoid of emotion or proper care of songs.

I understand that there are some "rocking" crunch sections that allow you, Mr. Petrucci, to place your leg up on those completely necessary black boxes surrounding your pedals and bob your head like a seal, but I notice you playing nothing new on guitar. Except for Joe Satriani's "War" during the solo bridge of "Constant Motion", which, although technically new when played by YOUR fingers, is exceedingly old for those of us who enjoy listening to a song the FIRST time it is written (and by the original writer, no less).

I agree that alcoholism is a terrible addiction, Mr. Portnoy, and I fully support you in your strive to kick the habit and tell the world what it feels like to be under the control of a destructive substance. I only ask, however, that you acknowledge the fact that continuing your story of redemption on Dream Theater albums has also become a destructive substance. If I wanted to hear five minutes of talking (in which the words are too low in the mix to comprehend anyway) I would step in to an elevator.

Believe me, Mr. LaBrie, I know that you are in a quote/unquote "metal" band, and that the pressures of trying to sound aggressive are strong. However, the sound that comes out of your throat is already painful enough without you distorting it and trying to sound like the hybrid child of Dave Mustaine and James Hetfield. Please remember that your voice, although never to be considered pleasant, was at least tuneful once.

Mr. Myung and Mr. Ruddess, all I can ask is that you please comprehend the "less is more" policy, and implement it as often as possible. We all know that you can play 763 notes in 4 seconds, but can you play 763 notes in 763 seconds? The world wants to know.

As for the lack of emotion, cookie-cutter, non-inspired sound of (to be honest) the entire album, I ask that you all collectively re-listen to your back catalog. For easy reference points, please see "Lines in the Sand", "Pull Me Under", and "Take The Time". If possible, try and listen without repeating.

Pick up your instruments, take three years off, and actually write an album, rather than churning out another piece of your own (and often multiple other band's) recycled music.

Sincerely,
- Your Non-Contented, Not-Really-Fan

Okay, that sealed the deal. I am severely cutting back on my Dream Theater listening. The band really does bring out the snob/arrogant attitude in otherwise perfectly respectable human beings.

:kickass:

The Petrucci paragraph was ROFLcopter!

:lol: I JUST might have to agree, although I'd leave out any redemption references to FII. I'll get the shields, clubs, & helmets ready, I think some DT Fanbois might get angry..... :)

:lol: I JUST might have to agree, although I'd leave out any redemption references to FII. I'll get the shields, clubs, & helmets ready, I think some DT Fanbois might get angry..... :)

EyeballKid loves FII... he thinks it has more emotion than all of their other albums combined, and he also believes their songwriting was at its best here. He's also partial to Images and Words and Train of Thought (although he might not admit the latter).

I haven't bothered reading all the previous pages but figured I would leave some DT input anyway.

For me personally, I think the new disc is one of their best. It NEVER gets boring. The energy level is back! They seem to have remembered how to mix heavy riffs and good melodies. The songs might have some rehashed riffs but what a way to go!

5 Favorite DT discs:

1. Awake
2. Scenes From A Memory
3. Images & Words
4. Systematic Chaos
5. Octavarium
6. Falling Into Infinity
7. Train Of Thought
8. Change Of Seasons
9. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the album they should be listening to in order to be reminded of their past glory is Awake. Most bands could never hope to make an album as good. Unfortunately, post-Moore Dream Theater seems to be one of those bands.

Considering that it was recorded after they wrote the original version of A Change of Seaons, Awake is the last time the band wrote material that was really original. Maybe after they did those covers that ended up as "side 2" of ACOS, they decided to start making direct references to other bands and songs, rather than more subtly incorporating their influences.

Falling Into Infinity has some great moments, but some very weak ones as well. The obvious Metallica sound in Peruvian Skies (not by any means the worst song on the album) is the point where the band really started changing. Of course we can't criticize a metal band for being influenced by Metallica, but that song rather directly references Enter Sandman. It's hard to point to specific parts on any previous DT album and say "this sounds like [specific band or song]", but it's easy to do that on everything they've released since.

The influences on Scenes from a Memory have been widely-discussed, but when the album really lost its originality to me is when I heard the Liquid Tension Experiment albums. Don't get me wrong, I still like that album better than anything they've done since. But, now it seems like Dream Theater has been distilled down to a combination of musical ideas recycled from the LTE albums (and Scenes) and nü-metal lyrics and themes.

The AA saga thing has really marred every album from Six Degrees on. It's too much. It would have been better to do one whole album about it, instead of turning the whole band into a vehicle for conveying one member's story over the course of several years and several albums. Is this really how they want the band to be remembered? Repentance is the worst of these songs so far. It really drags on. It has to be the most boring song they've done. DT has been using samples since their first album, but this song really goes overboard with it.

Systematic Chaos has one good song (musically and lyrically) with filler in between. Ministry of Lost Souls could be good without the faster instrumental section (with lots of "hey John, let's do LTE III!" stuff) that has nothing to do with the rest of the song. I do enjoy the album, though (the only song I want to skip is Repentance), and it will probably end up being my favorite since Scenes. It's unfortunately become clear that Dream Theater is quite happy with what they're doing these days, and I'll just have to accept that they've become another one of those bands with a discography of "the old stuff" for which I need to make my preference clear whenever I mention being a fan...

I think I've changed my mind about DT. The only albums I really like are Awake, I&W, ACoS, and a few tracks off of SDoIT and FII (especially Hell's Kitchen, probably my favorite instrumental by them). I haven't listened to DT for months but I can safely say now that I think all of their other material simply blows hard. I haven't even listened to the new album more than twice, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.